Pink Floyd Reissues

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hiya,

Does anyone have copies of the new Pink Floyd reissues on 180g vinyl? If so, what are they like? I have a 10 year old reissues of dsotm and it suffers from inner groove distortion on the last track on side 2, so wondering if the new releases are much better.

Thanks!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
No !!. The 2011 remaster of DSOTM is utter cack ,dont bother with it. Try to find a reasonably priced 30th Anniversary copy. Or if you can find one in mint nick and have loads of money, then get the MOFI Half Speed mastered release*.

Highly unlikely that you will find a mint original, and if you do its going to empty your wallet.

Jap issues are very good.

As for the Wall and WYWH , well take a guess on what i didnt do with those re-lash ups.

* found you a used MOFI on the bay of pigs. Yours for 134 quid sir.

A

Anonymous

I have the 30th Anniversary Issue also, not wanting for anything! It's the one to have.

-N-

A

Anonymous

The copy of DSOTM I have was issued in 2003, so I assume it's the 30th anniversary edition also.

Do your copies have distortion on the last track 'eclipse'? The last 1 minute is almost unlistenable on mine, due to distortion!

A

Anonymous

I have not noticed the sibilence on mine, but will put it on tonight when I get home. Reading elsewhere some people have had sibilence with the 30th Anniversay edition. If yours is the 30th Anniversary editon it should be made in Holland, and have the posters inside.

It seems the new 2011 'Remaster' of DSOTM is just a new pressing of the 2003 version (edit: someone with 'floyd' in their username may correct me on this), but the US pressings are getting bad reviews due to pops and clicks. The UK pressings are supposedly fine however. The other new releases other than DSOTM are new Remasters however.

So if you are outside if Europe go to amazon.co.uk to order a euro version.

A

Anonymous

Yeah it's definately the 30th anniversary edition, as it has the poster as well. The sound quality is absolutely superb, right up to the last track, which sounds absolutely terrible! Would be interested to hear your opinion of the sound.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hey lambda i somehow (blind i guess ) missed the clue in your first post '10 yr old re-issue' ,lol. Bit of a giveaway what copy you have eh :roll:. If i get five tomorrow i will give eclipse a run. Have to be honest in saying i havnt spun it for yonks so cant comment at the moment. Im pretty sure that the 30th is mastertape and damn well certain the 2011 is rubbish, erm sorry, digital !. Stand open to be corrected here. I tend to play records not read covers.

The 2011 is as flat as a witches (self edited,lol). S'up to you mate but i got it as a completist/curiosity thing. I got to roughly half way through Great Gig and couldnt take any more. Filed under 'shelf filler'.

A

Anonymous

Thank would be great, thanks a lot!

My copy of dsotm has to be one of my best records in terms of SQ (along with my Abbey Road MFSL), but the last track completely ruins the experience, so if it's just my copy I may think about replacing it. You can still get the 30th editions sealed on ebay.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Dont dive in yet mate, theres more to igd than you may imagine. Eclipse is a very busy track for an end of side. Unless you already are, whack your carts vtf to the reccod max on the carts data sheet and give that a whirl. Some carts (stylus profile) are more prone to igd than others, and thats just for starters.

There are cheaper places than the bay of pigs btw.

Be in touch later.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Zippo wrong with mine mate.

Is this the only album/track that you are having problems with ?. If so did you buy it from new or s/h ?.

Tbh Dark Side screamed out to be a double album, crammed far too much on side 2 . Have a butchers at how close to the label the runout starts, tight wads eh !.

A

Anonymous

Played mine last night, yes there is quite a bit of sibilance on DG's voice on the last track, but I don't hear any distortion in the music, the instruments or other voices, so I believe he was just too closely miked on that track. I can listen past it, and it doesn't bother me. Again check cartridge alignment, but I think it's the mix personally.

The whole remaster is a bit smiley face in the EQ and will exasperate the sibilance, but it is fine in my book, because the whole sounds so open.

To check to see if it's the pressing compare against the stereo mix on the 30th Anniversary edition SACD/CD (do not have). If it's there too then it's the mix/source not the LP pressing.

To check to see if it's in the Source as opposed to the Remaster compare against an earlier CD release (will dig mine out tonight if I can find it) to see if it's there or not.

I'm sure more will chip in.

-N-

mickeyjoef

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I have the new WYWH LP, and it was pressed off centre, and this is my 3rd copy. The other two were really bad, this copy is adequate. I won't be bothering with any of the others. My DSoTM is an early 80's pressing and plays fine, with no noise or distortion. I had a 70's WYWH, and it was a great sound, but I sold it, fool that I am...

A

Anonymous

Yes it does just seem to be this album. I have other albums with a tiny amount of distortion that lasts seconds, but usually not at the end of the track (probably just a slight scratch on the record to cause that). With dstom it's beautiful right up to the last 30 seconds of eclipse which just sounds awful. Not sure what's happened, I bought it new I seem to recall, but my student record playing days got a lot of abuse on the records (I didn't really take care of them), so it could be down to that. I've also recently changed the stylus which opened up a lot of the sound.

No idea about cartridge alignment, that sounds quite technical for me! The debut 2 came setup out of the box.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
A record which has been played by a worn or badly-tracking stylus is likely to be irreparably damaged and unfortunately the place where it will often exhibit damage the most is the end tracks. That's probably not what you want to hear.

A

Anonymous

I recently changed the stylus, but I have no idea about tracking. How do I know if the TT is tracking properly?

Sorry to ask such stupid questions!

Chris.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Setting the tracking weight and antiskate to the recommended settings in the handbook is a good place to start.

Here's the handbook http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/manuals/debutmanual.pdf

As for setting the alignment of the cartridge, that's a bit trickier but one way is to buy an alignment protractor off eBay which slips over the spindle. A dealer may also be able to set it up for you as well.

A

Anonymous

Hiya,

With the debut 2, the tracking weight is fixed, i.e. it can't be adjusted. The antiskate is on the middle setting which i think is right.

THe TT came with some kind of alignment protractor, but I'm not sure how to use it. The TT came set-up out the box.

If I posted some pictures on here would people be able to help me with the alignment? I won't be able to do this tonight, but I may have some time on saturday morning to take a look at the setup more closely.

Chris.

A

Anonymous

And I just check that the cartridge is parallel to the lines?

I seem to recall I did this last year and the cartridge was dead straight in the grids. I'll do it again as soon as I get a chance and confirm it, though...

Thanks for everyone's help! I'll be back to confirm/deny the alignment in a couple of days... :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen the Debut alignment protrator but usually they all work off the same principle: slot it over the spindle and check the cartridge's alignment against two grids, one near to the outer edge of the gauge and one near the centre. Adjust the cart's position in the shell until ut appears square-on to both grids.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
lambda said:
And I just check that the cartridge is parallel to the lines?
That's about the sum of it. But remember that even with everything set up perfectly, a physically damaged record is still going to sound just that: physically damaged, though some stili are better at hiding it than others.

A

Anonymous

My guess is that the record is damaged from abusing it somewhere in the past. I resurrected the TT from my dad's shed, so who knows what gunk was on the old stylus! New records play absolutely fine with no inner grove distortion at all, so it must be the record. Shame, though. Either way, I'll put it down to bad experience and learn from it!

:(

Will still check the alignment though!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Ah ok ,now we appear to be getting somewhere. Have to say i had my doubts that you were hearing igd. This is why i asked the question if this was the only track/album you have problems with. Something you mentioned earlier in the thread got my brain cell questioning your interpretation of igd. To get it on just one part of one track, all other albums fine, read to me that you were actually listening to a goosed groove wall and what you perceived to be igd actually isnt/wasnt. Damaging the last 30 secs of an album groove takes great skill,well done ;)

A

Anonymous

Are you saying my record is damaged? If so how could I have done this?

Also - what's your definition of igd?

Thanks!

Chris.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
lambda said:
Are you saying my record is damaged? If so how could I have done this?

No you did three posts up the ladder. But it could be !.

I think you should do some homework on igd , its a minefield out there so take care.

But i still cant get my head around your 'distortion' is only audible for the last twenty seconds *.

Are you sure its not the heartbeat ;).

* first off you stated the last track , then the last minute, then it ran into seconds. Hopefully you can understand why im having problems with what you are actually hearing thats not quite right.

Have you actually ever cleaned the flipping album, just out of interest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts