Picture quality - a question for the experts

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is a question about DVD upscaling.
My assumption is that NTSC upscaled will give an inferior picture to an identical PAL disc because of the reduced lineage. Is that correct?
Will using an NTSC Superbit disc (eg, Lawrence of Arabia) help?
Are bits more relevant than line number?

A

Anonymous

I've often wondered this myself....Presumably it is inferior with the difference between 480 and 576, but how much this shows going up to 1080 I don't know ?

I often have the choice of both formats where I live, or sometimes one and not the other....I've always gravitated towards PAL as this is what I'm used to from the UK, but have never known whether there is aÿquantifiableÿdifference and whether to stick to PAL....?

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
I have a HD ready Panasonic plasma (TH37PX80) and have compared some of my Region 1 discs with the same TV programme or film on Region 2 PAL discs. When upscaled by my Pioneer DVLX50 DVD player to 720p, I think the PAL copy looks better with sharper images, better detail etc. . I would imagine the differences would only be even more pronounced with further upscaling to 1080p but this is only conjecture based on my own personal experience/preference of using this particluar kit. Sorry can't answer any technical queries about this!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts