Phono pre-amplifier recommendation

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello!

I guess I got the "always looking for improvement HiFi disease".

Last year I invested in an Audio-Technica LP5, NAD C326BEE and a few weeks ago I bought the Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge. My AT-LP5 has a phono pre-amplifier built-in that can be surpassed. I am looking to buy a new phono pre-amplifier for my system.

A few that havebbf already considered: NAD PP2, NAD PP4, Rega Fono Mini or Graham Slee Communicator 2. Do you guys have tips or advice?

Cheers!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
You can arrange a two week home loan of Slee kit by joining the Graham Slee forum.

If you are handy with a soldering iron (I'm not, but still coped) you could try Slee's DAK Genera which is pretty much a kit version of the Communicator.

Good suggestion from ifor to try one. I don't know the Slee models but they are well respected. My Rega Fono mini was a px and the dealer said you'd need to spend £500 to better it - I trust him too. You can get them on eBay and sell on if unimpressed. Good luck!

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I know that some will tell you that the best way to use the money is to upgrade your cartridge.

Like Ifor, I went the Graham Slee route. It's a brilliant concept, you can loan the kit and use it at home to hear the difference it makes to your set up in the environment it's going to be used in. I loaned a Reflex-M for a couple of weeks and found I couldn't live without it. Pardon the cliches but suddenly I was hearing stuff I'd not heard before, it took my listening experience to a higher level.

njc audio do a cracking mm phono stage with the option to get the matching step up transformer whenever you want to switch up to a mc cart if the need ever arises . check it out it really is a quality piece of kit...I think Steve 1979 purchased one himself and is very pleased with it.Also the trichord dino mk3 that I use is very good with the option of mm and mc carts already on board.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
njc audio do a cracking mm phono stage with the option to get the matching step up transformer whenever you want to switch up to a mc cart if the need ever arises . check it out it really is a quality piece of kit...I think Steve 1979 purchased one himself and is very pleased with it.Also the trichord dino mk3 that I use is very good with the option of mm and mc carts already on board.

Good suggestions, however the Graham Slee option is the only one you can try before you buy I believe, May be wrong.

Second hand Dino is definitely worth a punt.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Rega Fono MM with my second hand Planar 3. Sounded miles better than the mini. difficult to say why as I am not too good with the "hifi words"... I guess it sounded fuller, gave more clarity, and just made me feel more enveloped... The mini was "thin" by comparison.

£198 I am more than happy to have spent.... So much so, that having heard the new Brio, current frontrunner for when I replace the Cyrus 5 is likely to be the Rega Elicit-R...

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for all the suggestions! I wasn't aware that I could try the Graham Slee, so I'm going to give that option a shot.

TRENDING THREADS