Need help with setting up a system

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

As I have been collecting quite a few lp's over the last few years I am planning on investing in a new system (turntable, amplifier (+possible pre-amp) and speakers. Now I have been looking online to get some ideas and been to a few stores to look for a good system and now I was thinking of the following system

Turntable: Pro-ject debut carbon or Pro-ject RPM 1 carbon or Rega RP1 (what would be the better investment?)
Amplifier: NAD D3020
Pre-amp: Pro-ject phono box MM or Rega Fono Mini A2D

Speakers: Dali Zensor 3

All together it will cost me about €1200 euros. As I am quite new to this I could really need some help. Will this be a wise investment or do you recommend another set-up?

Thanks a lot!

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi, Thank you for your information. I will look into the amplifiers that you mentioned. Let's say I go with the Dali speakers, would it matter which amplifier I choose? I have read things about that certain speakers would not get along with certain amplifiers.

Good call about the stands too, thanks!

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Well I love my Pioneer amp/Dali Lektor speakers together- they gel well. If you can demo some systems in a local HiFi shop, this is the best way to go as everyone likes different things/ or home demo. Theres good information on the new Dali website to explain setting up the speakers/placement/running in etc. Mission are releasing a new range (LX) and Tannoy (Mercury) as well so maybe worth a look. If your room is small go for standmounts with stands.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Joeyn said:
Hi,

As I have been collecting quite a few lp's over the last few years I am planning on investing in a new system (turntable, amplifier (+possible pre-amp) and speakers. Now I have been looking online to get some ideas and been to a few stores to look for a good system and now I was thinking of the following system

Turntable: Pro-ject debut carbon or Pro-ject RPM 1 carbon or Rega RP1 (what would be the better investment?)Amplifier: NAD D3020Pre-amp: Pro-ject phono box MM or Rega Fono Mini A2D

Speakers: Dali Zensor 3

All together it will cost me about €1200 euros. As I am quite new to this I could really need some help. Will this be a wise investment or do you recommend another set-up?

Hi, If you are using vinyl I probably wouldn't invest in a digital amp with DAC as this would be a waste of money.

I've no idea about which are good turntables but I there are plenty around with decent reviews. As for the amplifier I would go with a standard stereo amplifier not digital and if you can get one with a decent phono input already, all the better. If not get a seperate phono amp - NAD, Cambridge Audio or Rega do some good ones. Stereo amplifier worth checking out - Marantz PM6005, Pioneer A30, Yamaha A-S501, NAD C326BEE, Onkyo 9010 etc

The Dali speakers should be fine but don't forget some decent stands - something like the Atacama nexus 6i or better. Allow to budget for some thick copper cable and a pair of interconnects.

Thanks a lot!

rainsoothe

Hi. Marantz PM6005 gets along splendidly with Dali Zensor 3. It also has a built in phono, so you're set with that imo. As for tt's, for entry level I'd look at Project Debut Carbon Esprit SB if it fits your budget. If not, I guess Rega RP1 is ok, since you can upgrade it later. But I don't think the Project is that much more expensive, and you can use the money you will have saved by not purchasing a separate phono stage to get the Esprit SB.

If you don't mind buying used and you have room to place the speakers away from walls, you could look at Arcam A19 for an amp, and pair that with Focal Aria 906 or B&W 685 s2.

Alternatively, Rega Brio R + Rega RS1 speakers (you can get the amp second hand).

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
@rainsoothe & @blackdawn, thanks for the replies! I really like the idea of going for the Marantz PM6005 and the Dali Zensor 3. I will try to check it out at a HiFi store if there is one that has them. Would 2 Dali Zensor 3's do the trick as a start?

If you were to upgrade the Rega RP1 with the performance pack, would you be able to compare it with the Project Debut Carbon Esprit? Or would it be a better investment just investing in the Project Debut Carbon Esprit straightaway?

rainsoothe

Joeyn said:
@rainsoothe & @blackdawn, thanks for the replies! I really like the idea of going for the Marantz PM6005 and the Dali Zensor 3. I will try to check it out at a HiFi store if there is one that has them. Would 2 Dali Zensor 3's do the trick as a start?

If you were to upgrade the Rega RP1 with the performance pack, would you be able to compare it with the Project Debut Carbon Esprit? Or would it be a better investment just investing in the Project Debut Carbon Esprit straightaway?

I think that if you can avoid the hassle of upgrading, then you should. I don't think there's much between the two turntables, but if it were me, it's the project I would go for (it also has motor upgrade, the Rega motor kit costs quite a bit, and you'll end up spending more in the end imo). But if you can, you should audition anyway.

As for the Dalis, they're great speakers for their price, but there's other very good alternatives. It really depends on the amplifier you're gonna use. For instance, a couple of worthy competitors are XTZ 93.23 mkII (but these require better amplification then the Marantz) or Q Acoustics Concept 20. It really depends on your taste and amplifier. But Marantz + Dali is pretty safe, and I, for one, love how they sound.

There's quite a few Arcam A19 amps on the bay that run for 450-500 pounds though, and this is a much better amp than anything you'd buy new for the price. So give that some serious consideration. Then, you can take it to your dealer's and audition some speakers to match it. Monitor Audio apparently have good synergy with the Arcam, and so do Focal (especially if you can find a pair of ex-dem Aria 906 or B&W 685 S2).

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again!

The reviews look incredible indeed for the Arcam A19, I am going to try and find one secondhand on the market for a good price that fits into my budget.

Today I will check out a store where they have the Dali's and the B&W 685 S2 that you mentioned, so I will give them a listen. Also, they have Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit so that will come in handy. Unfortunately no Marantz amplifier. They do have quite a few Cambrige Audio, Denon & NAD Amplifiers.

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi!

So, I went to the HiFi store and tested a few things. After listening to several amplifiers with different speakers, there was one combinition that I really liked. The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Rotel RA 10 Amplifier paired with Dynaudio DM2/6. This was estimated for probably around €1300 euros. Since it has been quite a few years since the Dynaudio DM2/6 came out, I was wondering if there are speakers that I should consider travelling for to test it. I really like the Rotel RA 10 so one that would pair good with the Rotel.

Thanks

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Have you heard the B&W 685 s2 or 686 s2 with the amp? Although you may prefer the soft domed tweeter of the Dynaudio's.

What other equipment did you hear?

The Rotel is a good choice as you won't need a seperate phono amp and you could always add a power amp if you want at a later date

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey, at the first store I tested the NAD C326BEE and NAD C165BEE (although that one is quite out of my budget) paired with the Dali Zensor 3 and the B&W 685 S2. Then I went to another store where I tested the Rotel RA 10 paired with the Dynaudio DM 2/6 and the Scansonic S4. Unfortunately both stores did not have a huge suply of speakers and amplifiers in my budget. I read that the Rotel RA 10 indeed goes well with th B&W 685 S2 (of which I liked the sound a lot when listening to it paired with the NAD's, more than the Dali Zensor 3). I really liked the sound of the Rotel RA 10 paired with the Dynaudio DM 2/6, but as I am not in a rush I'd like to make a good decision. That's why I am asking for help :)

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Okay, at least you have managed to narrow it down a bit. Have you heard various turntables with the Rotel? So you can probably discount the Zensor 3's and focus on the others. It might be worth trying the 685 s2's with the Rotel just to see (depending on whether you can find a store that has both).

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
So far I have just heard them paired with the Pro-ject debut carbon. They do have Rega RP1, so I was planning on listening to that one still. I'll go check if that's an option because that would definitely make my choice a bit easier.

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Today I had a long listen to several amps and speakers:

After filtering I was left with the Rega Brio R and the Rotel RA-10 amplifiers. Speaker-wise I was left with Dynaudio DM2/6, Elac B6 and the System Audio Saxo 5. At my first listening of these amplifiers and speakers I had only heard the Rotel RA-10 and the Dynaudio DM2/6. So I started off listening to the same combination again (paired with the Pro-Ject debut carbon). After this I tested them together with the Elac B6 and this for me was a huge improvement in sound. Even the almost double expensive System Audio did not sound noticably better.

I paired the Elac B6 later with the Rega Brio R which was again an improvement in sound. However for me it did not make that big of a difference to put down the 300 euros more for it.

So now I am really considering getting the Pro-ject + Rotel RA-10 and Elac B6. Anyone who has experience with the Elac B6 who would consider another amp?

​Thanks again for all the advice, it is much appreciated :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Joeyn said:

After filtering I was left with the Rega Brio R and the Rotel RA-10 amplifiers. Speaker-wise I was left with Dynaudio DM2/6, Elac B6 and the System Audio Saxo 5. At my first listening of these amplifiers and speakers I had only heard the Rotel RA-10 and the Dynaudio DM2/6. So I started off listening to the same combination again (paired with the Pro-Ject debut carbon). After this I tested them together with the Elac B6 and this for me was a huge improvement in sound. Even the almost double expensive System Audio did not sound noticably better.

I paired the Elac B6 later with the Rega Brio R which was again an improvement in sound. However for me it did not make that big of a difference to put down the 300 euros more for it.

So now I am really considering getting the Pro-ject + Rotel RA-10 and Elac B6. Anyone who has experience with the Elac B6 who would consider another amp?

If you are saving money by buying the Elac B6, then I would get a better cartridge. I look at ones around £100 -170.

Joeyn said:

Looking good, those B6's are meant to be a class act.

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Just read some things online that the Rotel RA-10 might not have enough Watts Per Channel to really do justice to the Elac B6 and that amps such as the Yamaha S501 would maybe suit better. Anyone that has some thoughts on this?

Joeyn said:
Just read some things online that the Rotel RA-10 might not have enough Watts Per Channel to really do justice to the Elac B6 and that amps such as the Yamaha S501 would maybe suit better. Anyone that has some thoughts on this?

Read what you like but if they don't have enough umph to work the B6's then they certainly don't to do justice to the CM1's.

rainsoothe

Joeyn said:

No such thing. The Elac Debut B6 are a budget speaker, and it's supposed to work with budget electronics. Which don't have a lot of watts, generally. Besides, Rotel stuff has very good power supplies, which means a lot of current that can handle impedance dips and stuff. But keeping it simples, don't worry about that.

Remember that the Ra10 doesn't have a remote.

Now, imo you can do much better with your budget. Some reading around, suggests that the Elac B6 has a lot of roll-off at frequency extremes, so you might be mistaking a rolled off sound with a warm one. But if YOU liked it, just go for it.

With your budget, I'd get the Audio Technica LP5 tt (I own it currently, and it's VERY good out of the box), and NAD D3020 + Q Acoustics Concept 20 / Monitor Audio Bronze 2 / Dali Zensor 3 / Acoustic Energy 301. Upgrade catrtridge on the tt later to an lp gear modified AT95E (the AT95SA) and you should be done with fiddling. The turntable has absolutely no noise or radio interference or anything of the sort, and the stock cartridge is quite decent. For the record, I heard a Pro-ject RPM1 and there was a lot of hum, and it looks really flimsy to me.

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Interesting, so you'd pick the Audio Technica LP5 over the Pro-Ject Debut carbon? Based on what if I may ask? I heard great stories about it but have not been able to give it a listen.

​I started off my question asking if the NAD3020 would be a wise idea. But then it was recommended not the go for a digital amplifier.

​Loads of stuff to think about!

Joeyn said:
Interesting, so you'd pick the Audio Technica LP5 over the Pro-Ject Debut carbon? Based on what if I may ask? I heard great stories about it but have not been able to give it a listen.

​I started off my question asking if the NAD3020 would be a wise idea. But then it was recommended not the go for a digital amplifier.

Not advisable if you have a turntable source. ;-)

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
Joeyn said:

Not advisable if you have a turntable source. ;-)

Um... why?

rainsoothe

Joeyn said:

It simply sounds better, and it has better build quality. Better pitch stability (thanks to it being direct drive), more low end grunt which is also controlled, adjustable and vibration absorbing feet. Oh, and a very good on-board phono-stage. Also, it comes with a headshell, which makes changing cartridges easier.

As for the D3020, it's not a digital amp, it's a class D amp with digital features. People in this thread are saying that you'd be paying for features that you aren't using, which is kind of true, BUT the sound also differs between the D3020, let's say, and the C326 (which has a rather pronounced bass - but YOU might like it, so by all means audition). I picked the D3020 because it gives you flexibility, if Vinyl will end up NOT being the only source you're gonna be using. Either Nad D3020 or Micromega MyAmp (forgot about this one).

Again, if you can find a used or ex-dem Arcam a19, that would blow all these out of the water. Otherwise, pick whatever you like - be it the RA10 or Nad C316 or whatever :) But, unless it's the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB (which comes with the Pro-Ject speedbox, which gives it better pitch stability and 33.3 / 45 rpm speed control at the press of a button), go for the AT, and stick an Ortofon 2M Blue on it when you have the money.

TRENDING THREADS