Need help with setting up a system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rainsoothe

Oh, and if your tt IS indeed going to be your only source, the only two options, indeed I see no reason going further then Onkyo A-9010 + a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or B&W 685s2. Or the Rotel you liked, of course. (By the way, if you can find a used one, Rotel RA1520 sounds relatively the same as the RA10, but with more and better of everything).

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Great feadback!

The main source will be vinyl, probably even only vinyl. I have been keeping my head out for some cheap Arcam A19's, unfortunately I haven't spotted anything within my budget yet.

So I was just thinking, the AT LP5 has a pre-amp and so does the Rotel. I don't know how much of the amplifier price depends on the pre-amp but wouldn't this be inefficient price-wise? Is one also better than the other?

rainsoothe said:
Al ears said:
Joeyn said:
Interesting, so you'd pick the Audio Technica LP5 over the Pro-Ject Debut carbon? Based on what if I may ask? I heard great stories about it but have not been able to give it a listen.

​I started off my question asking if the NAD3020 would be a wise idea. But then it was recommended not the go for a digital amplifier.

​Loads of stuff to think about!

Not advisable if you have a turntable source. ;-)

Um... why?

Because he initially mentioned the D3020, then digital, and this has no phono stage, so you'd have to spend out on yet another box.

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:
Al ears said:
Joeyn said:
Interesting, so you'd pick the Audio Technica LP5 over the Pro-Ject Debut carbon? Based on what if I may ask? I heard great stories about it but have not been able to give it a listen.

​I started off my question asking if the NAD3020 would be a wise idea. But then it was recommended not the go for a digital amplifier.

Um... why?

Because he initially mentioned the D3020, then digital, and this has no phono stage, so you'd have to spend out on yet another box.

Not if he gets the AT, which has a very good built-in phono stage (that can also be bypassed, should he later decide to upgrade).

@OP: I can't pretend to compare the two phono stages, but they should be at least on a similar level. Just make sure you don't plug the AT with it's phono-stage activated into an integrated's phono-stage. Also, the AT has in-built grounding on the phono, through the 3-prong mains lead (power cord), and that's how it keeps hum out of the system. The interconnect that comes with it also has a grounding wire attached to it, should you decide to use an external phono stage. You can just experiment, to see which one you like best.

Take a look at the two Arcams in the previous post, imo it's well worth over the Rotel - but the Rotel is also nice. Add MA Bronze 2, and happy listening :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Joeyn said:

You could look at the AT LP120 its almost the same as the LP5, apart from 1 speed and the looks, much cheaper also.

rainsoothe said:
Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:
Al ears said:
Joeyn said:

Um... why?

Not if he gets the AT, which has a very good built-in phono stage (that can also be bypassed, should he later decide to upgrade).

@OP: I can't pretend to compare the two phono stages, but they should be at least on a similar level. Just make sure you don't plug the AT with it's phono-stage activated into an integrated's phono-stage. Also, the AT has in-built grounding on the phono, through the 3-prong mains lead (power cord), and that's how it keeps hum out of the system. The interconnect that comes with it also has a grounding wire attached to it, should you decide to use an external phono stage. You can just experiment, to see which one you like best.

Take a look at the two Arcams in the previous post, imo it's well worth over the Rotel - but the Rotel is also nice. Add MA Bronze 2, and happy listening :)

I seriously doubt the phono stage in a turntable of that price is of seriously good quality. Inbuilt phono stages are a seriously debilitating function when it comes to upgrading. If you are going to switch it out why buy a turntable with one installed in the first place?

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:
Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:
Al ears said:
Joeyn said:

Um... why?

I seriously doubt the phono stage in a turntable of that price is of seriously good quality. Inbuilt phono stages are a seriously debilitating function when it comes to upgrading. If you are going to switch it out why buy a turntable with one installed in the first place?

Because it's cheaper AND better then the ones without one in that price range (again, imo). Also, the phono stage is at least as good as one he'll find in an integrated amp of the budget he's considering + a range of entry-level ones, like the Nads and the Projects out there. And it's also nicely integrated in the tt.

rainsoothe said:
Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:
Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:
Al ears said:
Joeyn said:

Um... why?

Because it's cheaper AND better then the ones without one in that price range (again, imo). Also, the phono stage is at least as good as one he'll find in an integrated amp of the budget he's considering + a range of entry-level ones, like the Nads and the Projects out there. And it's also nicely integrated in the tt.

I guess we agree to disagree on that one.

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all of you guys for all the information, tips and time to help me. It really helped me getting closer to my decision.

So, I made a decision concerning the turntable and the speakers. I found an very good deal for the Audio Technica LP5 in the Netherlands (where I live). I was able to buy it for €375. The speakers are going to be the Elac B6 (335 for a pair). I have not made up my mind about the amplifier. Once the speakers arrive I will test them with a few more amplifiers to really see what I like. As there will be a pre-amp in the turntable it will give me some budget to look for amplifiers (also without built in pre-amps). I will keep my eyes open for a cheap Arcam A19 (still looks a bit out of my budget). I have around 300-400 euros to spend on an amplifier still. Which amplifiers are worth pairing them with? So far I have these on my list: Onkyo A9010, NAD 316Bee, Rotel RA-10 and the Yamaha AS501. Are there any other amplifiers I am missing and that are definitely worth to audition?

Joeyn said:
Thanks all of you guys for all the information, tips and time to help me. It really helped me getting closer to my decision.

So, I made a decision concerning the turntable and the speakers. I found an very good deal for the Audio Technica LP5 in the Netherlands (where I live). I was able to buy it for €375. The speakers are going to be the Elac B6 (335 for a pair). I have not made up my mind about the amplifier. Once the speakers arrive I will test them with a few more amplifiers to really see what I like. As there will be a pre-amp in the turntable it will give me some budget to look for amplifiers (also without built in pre-amps). I will keep my eyes open for a cheap Arcam A19 (still looks a bit out of my budget). I have around 300-400 euros to spend on an amplifier still. Which amplifiers are worth pairing them with? So far I have these on my list: Onkyo A9010, NAD 316Bee, Rotel RA-10 and the Yamaha AS501. Are there any other amplifiers I am missing and that are definitely worth to audition?

Yes. The Denon PMA720AE should be added to your list. I will not mention any of the Cambridge amps as I am not sure if you will find them in the Netherlands.

rainsoothe

Joeyn said:

Out of those, I'd go for the Rotel or the Nad, and also audition the Denon PMA720 suggested above.

@mr Ears - let's, but I have actually heard the AT :)

rainsoothe said:
Joeyn said:

Out of those, I'd go for the Rotel or the Nad, and also audition the Denon PMA720 suggested above.

@mr Ears - let's, but I have actually heard the AT :)

So have I . :)

I do try not to comment on here on things I haven't heard.

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Yes. The Denon PMA720AE should be added to your list. I will not mention any of the Cambridge amps as I am not sure if you will find them in the Netherlands.

Actually Cambridge Audio is widely available in The Netherlands. For example http://www.iear.nl/producten/Audio/Versterkers-Merk:Cambridge_Audio.html and https://www.hifiklubben.nl/stereo/versterkers/?SelectedBrands=Cambridge+Audio&sortOrder=priceLow. It might be useful to have a recommendation for one or two as they are indeed within his budget.

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Rotel RA-10 and NAD C316BEE both seem to be the most expensive in the Netherlands with around a €400 - €450,- price tag. The Denon one I can actually pick up new for half of that (€199,-). Also now that Barbapapa just mentioned it, I would be able to pick up a Cambridge Audio Azur 351A for about €300,-. Also the Marantz PM5005 and Marantz Pm7004 I can pick up for respectively €225 and €375

How does the Denon, Marantz and the Cambridge Audio compare to the competition? As it financially a lot more attractive and would leave me with some budget to spend one something else.

rainsoothe

Joeyn said:
Rotel RA-10 and NAD C316BEE both seem to be the most expensive in the Netherlands with around a €400 - €450,- price tag. The Denon one I can actually pick up new for half of that (€199,-). Also now that Barbapapa just mentioned it, I would be able to pick up a Cambridge Audio Azur 351A for about €300,-. Also the Marantz PM5005 and Marantz Pm7004 I can pick up for respectively €225 and €375

How does the Denon, Marantz and the Cambridge Audio compare to the competition? As it financially a lot more attractive and would leave me with some budget to spend one something else.

Safest bet is Rotel + Elac - since you already auditioned the combo and you liked it. You could, on the other hand, get the Denon + Focal Aria 906, Monitor Audio Silver 2, Dynaudio dm2/7 or Dynaudio Excite X12 if they fit budget, and upgrade the amp at a later time.

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
After loads of advice from you guys (thanks a lot for that) and listening to many amplifiers and speakers I set my mind on the NAD C316BEE paired with the Elac B6. I do have one last question. A new NAD C316BEE will cost me about 350 euros new here in The Netherlands. Now I just stumbled upon a used model (about 3 years, used 2/3 times a week) for 160 euros. Now I am inexperienced with Hi-Fi and would like your advice on buying a secondhand amplifier. I will go check it out this Friday, anything that I should look at to see the current state? Or is it just a plain no-go to buy a secondhand amplifier? Because it would leave me with some money in my pocket that I could invest in a new cartridge for the TT. I'd like to hear your opinions about this :)

itsme

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi (goedemiddag) Joeyn,

if you like the NAD and color (silver) is not an issue and you have doubt in second hand, you could buy new from www.correct.nl in Rotterdam.

The 316bee silver sells for € 249 NEW (instead of €399)

The 326bee silver sells for € 299 NEW (instead of €549)

succes and greetings.

Joeyn

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Goedemiddag,

Thanks so much for the tip. That made it a very easy decision to buy new. As soon as I read it I ordered one haha.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts