Philips claim 1080p?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

willie, can't find you mail add under contacts so can't PM you any help..

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

On the subject of unanswered missives - Fringeidiot, I sent you a personal email weeks ago (10th September at 11.52am, to be precise) offering to put you in direct contact with someone at Philips. You didn't reply.

please let me know (via Contact Us link here) if it's OK for me to give our technical contacts at Philips your details (and which the best address to get you at would be). Things can get lost way too easily in 'customer service' departments,.

Clare,

the registered email is not one I use regularly, being the one I use for required online declarations, which keeps me clear of spam from my every day life. not that your message is in that category, of course, although a quick note on the thread would have been quickly responded to. I thank you for the intervention none-the-less.

I have just received a letter from Philips, apologising for receiving my correspondence on the 19th but not processing it. They have the original letter. Their response came the day after my last post here, which apparently Philips have been reading. Philips say they have been 'trying to get in touch' through this forum since early September. Naturally enough, my letter of the 19th has my address, telephone and direct email on the header. My direct complaint with Philips on the telephone from the 8th of September, and for which they keep contact details, elicited no such attempts.

I have talked to the respondent, and after declining the offer of an engineer's visit to 'enhance my viewing experience' and 'inspect the installation' - I queried how it was an engineer could change the specification of the chipset - I asked that they re-read my letter as my wishes were expressed clearly within it.

Whether or not their eventual response is detailed here, or taken to any other forum - in the true definition - will depend on that response satisfying my complaint.

A

Anonymous

Interesting. Good to see they are finally speaking to you, albeit late. What sort of conclusion are you looking for?

A

Anonymous

think that might be a true 1080p lcd as philips described the 9632 was but is not...
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

HOW MANY PEOPLE PAYED FOR THIS SET AND DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE DOWNSCALING TO 1080I PIC..REPLACE THE SET BEFORE THIS ISSUE GATHERS MOMENTUM..

A

Anonymous

wow another posting thats being edited..i have not said anything that was rude to others or untrue so why cut out most of the posting wht...

A

Anonymous

Dear Clare,

I was reading the thread regarding Philips TV's issues with showing 1080p.
I have a Philips PFL427603D/12 TV and have the same problem wit it.

I have written to Philips and after changing about 5-6 e-mail they admit that the Tv is transforming 1080p signal into 1080i signal in order to be showed on the TV screen. Here is a part of one of the e-mails I receive from them: [EDITED BY MODS - FORMATTING ISSUES]

A

Anonymous

Sorry,

This is the e-mail from Philips:

Thank you for your e-mail.

We would like to inform you that you are correct; any signal in progressive scan mode with resolution of 1080 will be converted into 1080 interlaced.
There is no problem with 720 in progressive mode; this resolution will be displayed without any conversion.

Only 1080progressive will be converted into interlaced.

For example:
720p will be displayed as 720p
1080i will be displayed as 1080i
1080p will be displayed as1080i

Please understand also that we, as Customer Care Office, have small influence on the features and options placed in Philips TV sets. In this case it is a design matter.

A

Anonymous

So all in all, What stand have Phillips made, are they replacing these tv's or are they just fobbing punters off...?
Is this miss-selling or a technical loophole...?
IMO they are trying to pull the wool over the preverbials...!

A

Anonymous

They are trying to trick us all. As I told you I've exchanged a few e-mail with them and in their first reply they told me that p from 1080p stands for pixels and not progressive :))

Then why on the response I posted earlier they themself are refering to p as progressive ?

And why on the TV manuala where they talk about the shown resolutions they refer to 1080i and then 1080p? Then What does i stand for?

This kind of thing should be put in the first page of What HI-FI? mag and then I would like to see how they treat their customers !

A

Anonymous

3 years later and I think I may have run into a similar issue with the FINLUX 22F6030:

http://www.finluxdirect.com/led-tvs/22-inch-led-tv-full-hd-1080p-built-in-freeview+pvr-black-22f6030/invt/22f6030/

Now, these TV's are advertised as "A Full HD 1080p[/b] image" in their specification and not just a vague "full hd". "When connected to a Full-HD source such as a blu-ray player or games console" - which is what I had it connected to but it only plays in 1080i. They do not carry the EICTA Full HD Logo, but I believe they are still guilty of unfair marketing of their product. I bought this TV after reading 1080p on their website and having no warning about its capabilities to find that the image quality was poor and that in the "user manual" (http://www.finluxdirect.com/content/ebiz/shop/resources/pdf/22F6030-IB.pdf) on page 7 it says that their HDMI "sockets can accept either 720p or 1080i signals". I believe these to be the only "1080p" capable ports. So, these TV's cannot support 1920x1080 progressive scan, yet advertising it as 1080p means that either it should or they are confusing the average consumer. Because of this, I believe it breaches: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1277/regulation/5/made

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

5.—(1) A commercial practice is a misleading action if it satisfies the conditions in either paragraph (2) or paragraph (3).

(2) A commercial practice satisfies the conditions of this paragraph—

(a)if it contains false information and is therefore untruthful in relation to any of the matters in paragraph (4) or if it or its overall presentation in any way deceives or is likely to deceive the average consumer in relation to any of the matters in that paragraph, even if the information is factually correct; and

(b)it causes or is likely to cause the average consumer to take a transactional decision he would not have taken otherwise.

(4) The matters referred to in paragraph (2)(a) are—

(a)the existence or nature of the product;

(b)the main characteristics of the product (as defined in paragraph 5);

(5) In paragraph (4)(b), the “main characteristics of the product” include—

o)specification of the product;

Any advice on what action I should take? I am not happy about being ripped off as it ruined my christmas and this has been the most helpful/similar thread to my problem that I could find.

Where did you buy it from, and when? I seriously doubt if you're going to notice any difference between 1080i & 1080p on a 22-inch screen.

Anyway, if you're not happy with the product as it's not as advertised, your first port of call is your retailer where you bought it from.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Mmm, interesting, yes the manual definitely says 720p/1080i as you say. But in truth, as bigboss points out, the difference between 1080i and 1080p on a screen that size will be negligible. And Full HD spec is no guarantee of good picture quality.

A

Anonymous

It was bought through Amazon from "Finlux Direct". The display appears blurry, and in places its like the pixels are blending into each other. The resolution looks poor... it fills the entire screen on 1920x1080 but the image looks almost like an enlargement of a lower resolution. I expected smooth edges but they are pixellated and rough. My 19 inch 1440x900 Acer X193W monitor, which is quite old, displays a much better and clearer image. Everything is smooth and as expected. But back on the TV it looks worse and is unclearer. Any idea what is wrong? or whether this is the expected quality? This occurs with both HDMI and VGA inputs from my PC and HDMI from my Xbox (I have made sure the input is set to 1080i/p). I assumed this was a similar problem to the Phillips TV with some kind of upscaling as the display suffers from the same "pixellation" and "colour gradation". Thanks for the fast replies!

A

Anonymous

Ok, thank you for your help. I described my problem to finlux and they have dispatched a replacement TV of the same model. Apparentally they cannot offer a refund "at this stage", despite me wanting my money back. I'm not quite sure how that works as their return policy on amazon says I can return it for a refund at any time before 31st of January...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Where did you buy it from, and when? I seriously doubt if you're going to notice any difference between 1080i & 1080p on a 22-inch screen.

I agree entirely.

You'd also struggle to notice much of a difference between SD & HD on a 22" screen. Any problems you're experiencing have less to do with resolution and are down to the panel and/or tuner.

As BB suggests, you should contact the retailer and look at alternatives.

EDIT: just saw your post above about a replacement. It might be worthwhile doing a little research to see if another model would be a better choice. Then again, you may have got a dodgy set and the replacement will be much better. At least the retailer is playing ball (sort of), so you can rest a little more comfortably.

TRENDING THREADS