Question Philips 660 - How to connect?

Rexanthony

Apr 17, 2022
Visit site
Hello fellow HiFi enthusiasts,

To get straight to the point:
I got a Philips 660 turntable from my parents and I want to know if it's possible to connect it to a 'modern' sound system?

PXL_20220417_022530635.jpg

I hope you can help me.

Best regards,
Rexanthony

Yes it is.
Try this (available in 4 lengths up to 2 metres).
Plug it into the upper (tape) output, then connect to a line or 'aux' input of any modern amplifier.
You may need to have the amp volume control a bit higher than with other, 'modern' sources, but that's no problem:
If that doesn't work, try the lower socket (you can do no harm).
Let us know if neither work and whether you've got a soldering iron (as it's possible that a couple of wires might need to swap pins in the DIN plug).
Are you sure they are outputs and not inputs? The deck has an amplifier in it.
However, as Gray says there's one way to find out

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Is there a switch on the unit saying something like "Source - Tape" such that you select between the two? If so then the 'Tape' socket on the back is for both output to record and input to play from a tape recorder. It was quite common though trying to solder up 5 strands of cable was fun to say the least. If it does have an output then you only need a lead for the output which will need three pins connected (L,R and common) to two phono plugs on the other end and various sources can supply this or make one for you. Just make sure you order a lead for output from a 180 degree Din socket to phono input on the amplifier.
If there is no Source/Tape switch then it's likely that the socket is input only in which case I doubt you can connect it to a modern amplifier.

Is there a switch on the unit saying something like "Source - Tape" such that you select between the two? If so then the 'Tape' socket on the back is for both output to record and input to play from a tape recorder. It was quite common though trying to solder up 5 strands of cable was fun to say the least. If it does have an output then you only need a lead for the output which will need three pins connected (L,R and common) to two phono plugs on the other end and various sources can supply this or make one for you. Just make sure you order a lead for output from a 180 degree Din socket to phono input on the amplifier.
If there is no Source/Tape switch then it's likely that the socket is input only in which case I doubt you can connect it to a modern amplifier.
My thinking also.
It turns out that, also part of the 660 series Philips also made a tuner and a cassette player so it may well be they are both inputs unless they did utilise the tape switch.
cannot see any evidence of one though....
There are three buttons too right but cannot make out what they are for in online photos, I suspect they are simply source buttons.
Let's hope the OP returns with some answers sometime soon.....

Last edited:

Gray

He can try it, it's cheap
Really couldn't be cheaper.
But if he doesn't want to risk £2.65 😱, seems to me he's got 2 viable options.
Do as you suggested, come up with a user manual, to stamp on the uncertainty. Or, do what I would do: open the unit and look at the back of the tape socket. It will have wires soldered to a minimum of 3 of the 5 pins. If wires are soldered to all 5 pins, then it definitely has an output. No question.

Reactions: Al ears
Do as you suggested, come up with a user manual, to stamp on the uncertainty. Or, do what I would do: open the unit and look at the back of the tape socket. It will have wires soldered to a minimum of 3 of the 5 pins. If wires are soldered to all 5 pins, then it definitely has an output. No question.
getting it open may be tricky, however it certainly isn't going to avoid the warranty :)
Getting the cable and seeing if there is any output might be easier.....

Reactions: Gray

doifeellucky

I was given an old Rega Planar 3 but gave it straight back (passed it on to my sister) when I realised how expensive, and often poor quality (from what I’ve read), modern vinyl is. Decided to stick with my CD’s (gathering dust) and streaming.

Samd

The service manual is at link if that helps:
https://www.eserviceinfo.com/pdfview.php?fileid=173440

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts