PC or dock downsampling?

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I've downloaded a few high-res free sampler tracks from the Naim site (just to see what all the fuss is about) as Naim are now offering ALAC downloads that go straight to iTunes.

The puzzling thing is, all these 'high-res' tracks (minimum 24-bit and up to 96Khz) all show up on my CA 740c as 20/44.1khz input??

The only thing I can think is either my PC soundcard (Acer 5535) or my Onkyo NDS-1 is downsampling to 20/44.1

Anyone any clues as I can't find information about my soundcard or the NDS-1?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
They could be, or iTunes is set for that resolution.

I don't know about Pc iTunes, but on the Mac, you can go into the settings and set the output resolution as it doesn't do it on the fly. If you have these settings, make sure the input and output resolutions are the same for whatever files you are playing and that they match the music files to ensure that no resampling is carried out.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
That's just it, I can't find any options in iTunes or Windows 7 to alter the resolution output. There is an option in Quicktime but it doesn't make any difference no matter what I set it to

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that iTunes doesn't support wasapi on windows any more. Is this article out of date? In that case the first option might be your only choice. Have you tried Foobar or JRiver? Both of those support bit-perfect

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I think this must be it as when I choose the WASAPI option different sample rates are no longer available on the menu.

I have to say the files still sound great because of the superior mastering, but I still can't find much to my taste

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts