PC amplifier???

mamcorcoran

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I have decided to purchase the new wharfedale 10.1's but i'm am confused about how to get the best sound from my computer. I have no need for a cd player since all my music in mp3 format so would i be best to purchase a normal amplifier and phono jack or are there dedicated pc amplifiers. I am currently a student with a budget of around 400 pounds for the amp and all the connections etc. Any help would be great thanks and I apologise if this question has been asked before.

A

Anonymous

If the 400 smackers doesn't include the speakers I would personally look at a DAC (ie the Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Beresford 7520 or even the cheaper MF V-DAC) and then look at a similarly priced amplifier (for example the Cambridge Audio 640A or one of the Nads) with some entry level cabling. This should come in at just over £400 and when you get a little bit more cash upgrade the cables.

A

Anonymous

or if your speakers will be on the table, then DAC with powered studio monitors will be better solution. Or there are active monitors with built in DAC in the market as well.

idc

Or there is the RAVE 1 USB amplifier, designed specifically for a PC to speakers connection. But it also has other functionality which means you can connect other devices to it. At £215 it is well under budget and leaves you with ample for a USB and speaker cable. The site you will find the RAVE amp also does USB and speaker cables, but they are rather expensive. Better to source them elsewhere!

If you have your PC music as MP3, it is at the lower quality end of music files, so I would not spend loads as you are unlikely to hear the benefits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts