Partington broadsides

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've got these stands and I've not filled them with any filler yet.
I've got 2 X Atacama atabites
Now I have a centre pillar and 4 X outer pillar's

Do I fill the centre only or all of them?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Fill them all. At the end of the day adding mass is intended to mitigate as best you can Newton’s third law of motion, so the heavier the better. You could of course try to "tune" your stands by partially filling them, but all you would be doing (if anything) is allowing that equal and opposite reaction to occur, which is not good. Knowing your penchant for a clean and truthful sound, aswell as your regular and ruthless derision of Foo, I would suggest "tuning" is something you should not be doing...

Once filled pop a blob of Blutac on each corner of the top plate and away you go! Partington Broadsides are really great stands!

Gazzip said:
Fill them all. At the end of the day adding mass is intended to mitigate as best you can Newton’s third law of motion, so the heavier the better. You could of course try to "tune" your stands by partially filling them, but all you would be doing (if anything) is allowing that equal and opposite reaction to occur, which is not good. Knowing your penchant for a clean and truthful sound, aswell as your regular and ruthless derision of Foo, I would suggest "tuning" is something you should not be doing...

Once filled pop a blob of Blutac on each corner of the top plate and away you go! Partington Broadsides are really great stands!

As replies above or simply don't fill them at all. Try them as is and see what you think. I never bothered filling my Dreadnoughts.

Make them too heavy and they become a bastard when hoovering... ;-)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Fill them all. At the end of the day adding mass is intended to mitigate as best you can Newton’s third law of motion, so the heavier the better. You could of course try to "tune" your stands by partially filling them, but all you would be doing (if anything) is allowing that equal and opposite reaction to occur, which is not good. Knowing your penchant for a clean and truthful sound, aswell as your regular and ruthless derision of Foo, I would suggest "tuning" is something you should not be doing...

In my old house I never needed to fill them and the sound was good.

New house and I've the worst acoustics ever
Very muffled now so I need to do something
Although the lounge will.not be the main hifi room for long as I will install speakers in much larger room.when I have space/time.

I'm going to need to put granite slab between stands and floor also

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
CnoEvil said:
I'm not sure there is an answer....only trial and error.

Bear in mind that really heavy stands can make the bass heavy and ponderous if made too weighty.....so consider filling everything with uncooked rice.

Worth reading this (first post): http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/152592-alternate-speaker-stand-damping-material.html

For this article Rice all the way makes sense

Try without filling and then filled with rice....let us know what you think.

In the case of the Partingtons, I think damping vibrations is more imprtant then adding mass, which they have in abundance.

IIRC Mac tried rice a few years ago....I think, successfully.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've just out of pure curiosity poured the atabites down the centre pillar.

Sound is very slightly more focused to me or am I imagining it - time will tell.
If I experiment now it will be rice.

Next step
Granite slabs.

Cno please remind me the best way to connect granite to bottom of stand again.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:
CnoEvil said:

Bear in mind that really heavy stands can make the bass heavy and ponderous if made too weighty.....so consider filling everything with uncooked rice. 

Worth reading this (first post): http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/152592-alternate-speaker-stand-damping-material.html

Try without filling and then filled with rice....let us know what you think.

In the case of the Partingtons, I think damping vibrations is more imprtant then adding mass, which they have in abundance.

IIRC Mac tried rice a few years ago....I think, successfully.

I think you are right regards the vibrations and partington although these broadsides are solid.

I originally brought the Ultimas but swapped them for the broadsides as I did not like it that one column ringed when knocking with knuckles and the other one was silent.
The broadsides are more dead when knocking.

insider9

I'm also in need of granite slabs. At the minute I've not found anything suitable or at least not at the price I'm prepared to pay. Especially as I need mine 45x45cm.

Where are you getting yours from?

Blutak is a great product, but unless you regularly remove and replace it then it can harden and pull away any veneer, when you do eventually separate speaker from stand. Depends rather if you value the underside of your speakers or not!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'm also in need of granite slabs. At the minute I've not found anything suitable or at least not at the price I'm prepared to pay. Especially as I need mine 45x45cm.

Where are you getting yours from?
Not sure I'll have a look around
How about granite chopping boards?
How thick must they be?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Blutak is a great product, but unless you regularly remove and replace it then it can harden and pull away any veneer, when you do eventually separate speaker from stand.  Depends rather if you value the underside of your speakers or not!  

Between speakers and stand I'm using the gel pads
They are great and highly recommended

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
CnoEvil said:

Worth reading this (first post): http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/152592-alternate-speaker-stand-damping-material.html

I've used rice in the past, think it might have been on Cno's recommendation in fact and it worked superbly.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Use white arborio rice, reasonably common in the uk, this is used to make rissoto.

The grains are smooth, round and uniform in size, giving a consistent 'pack' and density throughout and will damp resonances across a broad range of frequencies. Do not, under any circumstances, use long grain types such as basmati.

If you have Italian speakers such as Sonus Faber or Opera, use carnaroli rice if you can find it, a little more expensive, but worth it.

davedotco said:
Use white arborio rice, reasonably common in the uk, this is used to make rissoto.

The grains are smooth, round and uniform in size, giving a consistent 'pack' and density throughout and will damp resonances across a broad range of frequencies. Do not, under any circumstances, use long grain types such as basmati.

If you have Italian speakers such as Sonus Faber or Opera, use carnaroli rice if you can find it, a little more expensive, but worth it.
You should still be in business, dave! And stir carefully with a few drops of snake oil! ;-)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
From Asda smart price rice to the special taste special range it was like a veil lifted from my cheap studio monitors.
Even my wife noticed

I've uploaded a comparison video on YouTube for you to make your own mind up

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
From Asda smart price rice to the special taste special range it was like a veil lifted from my cheap studio monitors. Even my wife noticed

Not sure whether ROFL or LMAO is the better response!!

Have you actually tried this yourself?

There is no doubt in my mind that short grain rice, high in starch for added density is far superior to long grain. The suppression of resonance across a wide bandwidth reduces any tendency towards 'one note' bass caused by poorly damped stands 'sounding off' at particular frequencies.

This is really noticeable in better quality, higher resolution systems, particularly those that are in rooms that have been treated to minimise bass resonances.

It is possible to hear the difference on lesser systems, such as those using Marantz or Monitor Audio components, but requires a little more attention from the listener.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
From Asda smart price rice to the special taste special range it was like a veil lifted from my cheap studio monitors. Even my wife noticed

Not sure whether ROFL or LMAO is the better response!!

Have you actually tried this yourself?

There is no doubt in my mind that short grain rice, high in starch for added density is far superior to long grain. The suppression of resonance across a wide bandwidth reduces any tendency towards 'one note' bass caused by poorly damped stands 'sounding off' at particular frequencies.

This is really noticeable in better quality, higher resolution systems, particularly those that are in rooms that have been treated to minimise bass resonances.

It is possible to hear the difference on lesser systems, such as those using Marantz or Monitor Audio components, but requires a little more attention from the listener.

But what proof have you, what studies have been carried out. Have you blind tested ?

Until there is a definitive report from such highly regarded bodies such the BBC Good Food Guide this is only personal opinion.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
From Asda smart price rice to the special taste special range it was like a veil lifted from my cheap studio monitors.
Even my wife noticed

I believe every little helps, but this is killing me. Funny. Smiles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts