Paradigm, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio or Epos

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm planning to upgrade my audioengine a2's to my first proper hifi-system. I've been searching for a while now and can't find serious comparisons between these speakers:

Dynaudio 2/7

Dynaudio excite x12 (one (serious?) comparison said the former was better)

Monitor Audio rx2

Paradigm studio 10

Epos m5i

Looks are not important, budget is sub 700 pounds and it is for a bedroom (13 by 16).

I listen most of the time rock (pink floyd, chameleons uk, joy division...) and ambient dubstep (eg mount kimbie), so good vocals and deep, controlled and precise bass are also required.

Tips for decent integrated amplifiers at the same price level (preferable a little bit lower, around 400-500 pounds) with any of those speakers would be very welcome.

Regards

A

Anonymous

Having heard the Dyno speakers numerous times and owned the RX2's; I'd be going for the latter every day, more so with your taste in music

Partnered with the likes of a decent NAD, Arcam, Rotel, Leema or Musical Fidelity amp (& a good source such as a 2nd hand Rega Apollo) you'll have a cracking system

Mount Kimbie Crooks & Lovers album sounds FANTASTIC through the RX2's

A

Anonymous

IMO the RX2s are not a very balanced speaker, their bass is overblown and flabby and they are very difficult to position without them sounding boomy. The treble is also very in your face and fatiguing.

I'd personally go for either of the Dynaudios or perhaps the Epos.

A

Anonymous

I have to say rubbish to that above comment. They're superb speakers as are the dynaudios & epos but with the wrong amp, source and cabling any speaker can sound bad!

What did you hear/demo the RX2's with; also, what music?

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979 said:
I have to say rubbish to that above comment. They're superb speakers as are the dynaudios & epos but with the wrong amp, source and cabling any speaker can sound bad! What did you hear/demo the RX2's with; also, what music?

A friend had a pair, partenered with Marantz and Nad amplification. They were fatiguing with both and very boomy, more so with the Nad, i think it was a C320 BEE, can't recall what the marantz was.

He got rid and bought a pair of B&W CM5s which are much better in his and my opinion.

matthewpiano

I've heard the Dynaudios and the MA RX2s, as well as the RX1s, B&W CM1s, and KEF Q300s (the last of which I have owned).

I have to say I wasn't totally taken with the Dynaudios. They were clearly very talented in so many respects, yet I just couldn't settle to listening to them for some reason.

I found the RX2s to be very good, if a little bassy for my tastes. I actually prefer the RX1s which I found more balanced overall. A dealer I discussed them with felt exactly the same, though I would think that for more bass heavy music the RX2s could work very well indeed. The RX1 and RX2 are very involving and both manage excellent detail levels without being clinical.

The CM1s were awful when I heard them. All bass and treble with no real midrange performance. The bass was flabby and poorly controlled and the whole thing was just noisy to me. Miles behind the RX1 or RX2.

The KEF Q300s are very well balanced speakers and do the hi-fi things extremely well, but they aren't as involving as the MA RX series IMO. Like the RX2 they need plenty of space around them to give their best.

A

Anonymous

Another vote for Dynaudio 2/7, much more sophisticated sound than the MA, you did specify controlled precise bass.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
As an Epos-fan i must vote for the Epos M5i. Look for the review in Stereophile. It will give you an honest sound which, to me, never can be wrong.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
for your budget and music taste I'd go for active studio monitors. once again a vote for Dynaudios (maybe Dynaudio BM5a MK II would be a good choice).

I don't know what is your source but I presume it might be a computer in which case for a complete system all you need is a USB DAC + preamp with XLR outs (studio monitors almost exclusively have XLR ins) in which case Matrix DAC would be a good match.

add some XLR interconnects and you have a complete system for about GBP 1100 - 1200.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
For sure, all good speakers and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. However, the Dyns will outclass the others IMO. They are just richer, more textured, and overall have a more sophisticated and musical sound. But then, I'm a die hard Dynaudio fan and listening to them right now.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it a lot.

@hifilover: can I ask you why you stuck with the bx5's and sold the rx2? And would you agree that the rx2's are more fatiguing than the dynaudio's?

@matthewpiano: like your thinking man! read practically everywhere that rx2 was in every aspect a little bit better, but then again, for a relatively small room, rx2 are maybe a little bit too much... Could you explain why you liked the ma more than the dynaudios? warmer sound? heard that the ma can be a little bit harsh (although I read that the rs had this quite a bit more than the rx's). I also read a lot of reviews on whathifi and a lot of 5 stars and then they say: easier to admire than to love. Do they mean with that they sound too realistic? cause you love something when it's totally different than the rest no?

@rethep: read the review multiple times and they were not as raving about it as about the dynaudio x12's, but clearly no fans (for the x12) here, and actually couldn't find a lot of fans (nor for the epos, due to rareness?). Whathifi reviews more reliable than stereophile in the real world? They (stereophile) do listen to totally different music than the average listeners, in totally different quality (my library of itunes is my only source and it doesn't go higher than 320 kps, but als not lower) and they do set up 600 dollar speakers with 5000 dollar amps...

@oldric_naubhoff: I am new to all this, but you're saying that matrix dac + dynaudio + pre-amplifier (not integrated?) will give best results?

No paradigm fans here? read only good things about it...

And also, as i mentioned earlier, my library only contains 320 kbps, I read some raving reviews about speakers and than ended with: they can be too revealing and if your quality of the source isn't that good, they will enlarge this (eg eb acoustics eb2). So maybe that leaves out a few? or can 320 be fixed with a decent dac to sound as good as a decent cd player or flac-files?

And is it maybe best for the long term to choose a very neutral amp like rotel or better marantz, which read from reviews do tend to sound warmer. Or yamaha as-500? very exciting review on whathifi, but on the fora, not that many fans...

A

Anonymous

and what about dm 2/7 vs x12? x12 a no go? most of you seem to recommend the dm 2/7, while the x12 is in a range higher...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What we all think is in many ways irrelevent, as it's all so subjective. Since the speakers sound so different, your preference will become clear after a demo. Also, synergy with the amp is crucial.

A

Anonymous

Colsoulpower said:

@hifilover: can I ask you why you stuck with the bx5's and sold the rx2? And would you agree that the rx2's are more fatiguing than the dynaudio's?

And also, as i mentioned earlier, my library only contains 320 kbps, I read some raving reviews about speakers and than ended with: they can be too revealing and if your quality of the source isn't that good, they will enlarge this (eg eb acoustics eb2). So maybe that leaves out a few? or can 320 be fixed with a decent dac to sound as good as a decent cd player or flac-files?

And is it maybe best for the long term to choose a very neutral amp like rotel or better marantz, which read from reviews do tend to sound warmer. Or yamaha as-500? very exciting review on whathifi, but on the fora, not that many fans...

Re the above bolded comment:

I sold my M/A RX2's as I had sold off my NAD pre/power combo and NAD integrated hifi set-up as I was looking to reduce to an all in one system (i.e. the Marantz CR603). The speakers were also sold as the wife doesnt like speaker stands.

In NO way did I EVER find the M/A RX2's fatiguing; they're superb speakers as long as theyre matched with the correct amp and source (i.e. as what I said above in my 1st comment - Arcam, Rotel, NAD etc...)

I demo'd the B&W CM5's with the Marantz CR603 as I had them with my NAD pre/power set-up) as well as the Dynaudio 2/6's and 2/7's as well as the B&W 685's and M?A RX1's and the RX2's, for me, stood heads above the rest.

I listen to a lot of music such as Fischerspooner, Layo & Bushwacka, Hed Kandi, Mount Kimbie, Zero 7, Unkle etc... The RX2's control over the soundstage along with their superb, deep, and very taut bass as well as crisp/clear treble (but with no harshness) was superb

The RX2's do need room to breathe though; they're rear firing so they need at least a foot of space around them and a biggish room as well; they were very capable of getting our house shaking indeed but also a superb speaker to sit back and enjoy with the likes of the Late Night Tales music series or some Dean Martin / Nat King Cole etc...

With regards to your music and amp selection; have you ever considered the all-in-one system such as the Marantz CR603 or Arcam Solo Mini etc...?

If you are after an amp and DAC then the likes of a NAD C356BEE, Rotel RA04SE, or the Yamaha AS500 amp will work superbly as long as you choose the right speaker and cables etc... As for a DAC; you're spoilt so the worlds your oyster currently.

You REALLY need to demo as much as possible though so you are able to understand what works better with each component etc...

Currently, my money would be on a decent 2nd hand amp (more bang for your buck) such as an Arcam FMJ A32, Musical Fidelty XA200, NAD C352 (PD version) or C355BEE, Arcam Alpha 10 etc...

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
How about keeping it active with Dynaudio BMA 6 MK2 or AVI 9.1. Both come in on budget, no worries with system matching and less space needed.

A

Anonymous

With the OP's taste in music the AVI's IMO just wont cut the mustard; I demo'd them a few times and found them seriously lacking in solid, punch & tight bass many a time

As for the active Dyn's, I've never heard them so cant comment

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I own the X-12's and I love them, but I would say even though Dynaudios are renown for their bass I sometimes wonder what the 2/7's would sound like having the bigger driver, but am unable to compare. I ordered a Leema Pulse from UK (i'm in Australia) and it's ready for pick-up tomorrow, I can't wait to hook it up and see what it sounds like! I listen to all varieties of music and the Dynaudio's are still to disappoint, if I ever upgrade it will only be to a higher model such as a Focus.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Colsoulpower said:
@oldric_naubhoff: I am new to all this, but you're saying that matrix dac + dynaudio + pre-amplifier (not integrated?) will give best results?

yes. active studio monitors at this price level are a bargain compared to passive system (integrated amp + passive speakers). it's all down to passive crossover network which is something you don't want to have but need to have in order for speakers to work properly. cheap speakers use cheap components. cheap components have worse tolerances so distort more. and there's the issue of crossover topology. IMO, and not only my opinion, the best slope is shallow 6db per octave, such as Dynaudio is using. active studio speakers don't use a passive crossover but an active version which is way better solution (if you want to you can read more about it on the net).

clarification. this matrix dac IS an integrated dac and pre amp, so you just need to plug USB cable from your computer into it and run a pair of XLR interconnects into active speakers. volume control does the DAC. a very minimalistic set up. I only recommend this DAC because it has XLR outs, it's quite inexpensive and as far opinions on the net are correct is also quite nice sounding device. looks good too.

I personally have a passive set up. but I've got Dyns Focus 110 and Pathos Classic One integrated. it sounds great but a little over your budget.

as for Excite X12 vs DM 2/7. Excite X 12 are great little speakers. I made my decision to buy Focuses on auditioning X12. but I'm afraid they might be a little bass light for you. X 16 would be much better choice but are over the budget. hence DM 2/7 option.

A

Anonymous

@hifilover: thanks man! So if I would go with the rx2 which would you choose: rotel ra04se, ra 06se, ra 1520 or nad c356BEE? And those are powerfull enough?

@oldric_naubhoff: You got a suggestion for a good but affordable amp with that dm2/7? Out of experience? Very interesting stuff about active speakers and all, but think i'm gonna stick with passive, think it's easier to upgrade in the future to better components in a passive set-up... and is it right that the matrix is designed as a headphone amp? doesn't sound too exciting actually...

Thanks a lot guys, but still looking for that paradigm fan, thought it was a real audiophile brand...

A

Anonymous

Colsoulpower said:
@hifilover: thanks man! So if I would go with the rx2 which would you choose: rotel ra04se, ra 06se, ra 1520 or nad c356BEE? And those are powerfull enough?

@oldric_naubhoff: You got a suggestion for a good but affordable amp with that dm2/7? Out of experience? Very interesting stuff about active speakers and all, but think i'm gonna stick with passive, think it's easier to upgrade in the future to better components in a passive set-up... and is it right that the matrix is designed as a headphone amp? doesn't sound too exciting actually...

Thanks a lot guys, but still looking for that paradigm fan, thought it was a real audiophile brand...

For me, the NAD C356BEE and Rotel RA1520 amps would be superb closely followed by the Leema Pulse (all 3 of these are more than powerful enough to drive the M/A and Dynaudio speakers). A 2nd hand Arcam FMJ A32 would be a superb buy if one can be found (and if you'll consider 2nd hand). These amps would drive the M/A and Dynaudio speakers very well indeed

Re Paradigm speakers; I've only ever seen them in the shops, never heard them

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I owned the Excite X12s for a short while and also loved them. They are a terrific speaker. I swapped them for X16s which I like even more, but the X12 is dynamite for it's size.

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
Colsoulpower said:

Re the above bolded comment:

I sold my M/A RX2's as I had sold off my NAD pre/power combo and NAD integrated hifi set-up as I was looking to reduce to an all in one system (i.e. the Marantz CR603). The speakers were also sold as the wife doesnt like speaker stands.

In NO way did I EVER find the M/A RX2's fatiguing; they're superb speakers as long as theyre matched with the correct amp and source (i.e. as what I said above in my 1st comment - Arcam, Rotel, NAD etc...)

I demo'd the B&W CM5's with the Marantz CR603 as I had them with my NAD pre/power set-up) as well as the Dynaudio 2/6's and 2/7's as well as the B&W 685's and M?A RX1's and the RX2's, for me, stood heads above the rest.

I listen to a lot of music such as Fischerspooner, Layo & Bushwacka, Hed Kandi, Mount Kimbie, Zero 7, Unkle etc... The RX2's control over the soundstage along with their superb, deep, and very taut bass as well as crisp/clear treble (but with no harshness) was superb

The RX2's do need room to breathe though; they're rear firing so they need at least a foot of space around them and a biggish room as well; they were very capable of getting our house shaking indeed but also a superb speaker to sit back and enjoy with the likes of the Late Night Tales music series or some Dean Martin / Nat King Cole etc...

With regards to your music and amp selection; have you ever considered the all-in-one system such as the Marantz CR603 or Arcam Solo Mini etc...?

If you are after an amp and DAC then the likes of a NAD C356BEE, Rotel RA04SE, or the Yamaha AS500 amp will work superbly as long as you choose the right speaker and cables etc... As for a DAC; you're spoilt so the worlds your oyster currently.

You REALLY need to demo as much as possible though so you are able to understand what works better with each component etc...

Currently, my money would be on a decent 2nd hand amp (more bang for your buck) such as an Arcam FMJ A32, Musical Fidelty XA200, NAD C352 (PD version) or C355BEE, Arcam Alpha 10 etc...

Sorry for bumping up an old thread. I'm actually in a situation that i couldn't make a decision.

@hifiover1979,

Would you mind if i ask what do you think about combining a Musical Fidelity M1DAC + MF M3i with the Monitor Audio RX2? :) Thank you.

@colsoulpower,

Hope you wouldn't mind if i ask what's your current build with your final decision? Actually i was searching for comparing the RX2 with the Paradigm as well but i still couldn't find a single comments at the end of this topic :p i've seen some positive review on the Paradigm speakers but not sure why it's not even worth mention in this topic lol.

I've also seen some reviews said that the rotel and yamaha will be too bright. Any thoughts ? :)

I listen most of the time classical, jazz, bossa nova, opera. :D

Thank you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts