out with monitor audio..in with dynaudio..and yamaha??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi folks,my monitor audio rx6's and rx centre are being traded in, too much clutter in my room and i want to try some nice standmounts, my dealer is going to give me a credit note for them..

he (munstersounds) has a nice selection of dynaudio standmounts to choose from, but im highly likely to go for the award winning dm 2/6's, ill have about e1000 in all (including my credit note) for the speakers and an amp, which im 90% sure will be a yamaha AS-500 which he'll do for e360..

ill be able to demo the pairing, and the dm 2/7's and exite 12's in just over a week when he's got some new dynaudio stock arriving, he's currently only got the x16 and they're too expensive for me..

im going with dynaudio because i have to stick to buying from munstersounds, (i tried selling my rx gear privately to no avail), and i want a change from monitor audio so rx1's/rx2/s are out. the yamaha has the highest watt output in comparison to price, great reviews, and importantly it has a sub out, which i may need for a 2.1 channel movie set-up..

so i guess im looking for any views on the yamaha dynaudio pairing? i know dynaudios need power, will the yamahas 85watts be enough? does anyone have any thoughts as to which of the 3 dyns mentioned is the better speaker or may pair better with the yam?

thanks[:)]

maxflinn:
hi folks,my monitor audio rx6's and rx centre are being traded in, too much clutter in my room and i want to try some nice standmounts, my dealer is going to give me a credit note for them..

he (munstersounds) has a nice selection of dynaudio standmounts to choose from, but im highly likely to go for the award winning dm 2/6's, ill have about e1000 in all (including my credit note) for the speakers and an amp, which im 90% sure will be a yamaha AS-500 which he'll do for e360..

ill be able to demo the pairing, and the dm 2/7's and exite 12's in just over a week when he's got some new dynaudio stock arriving, he's currently only got the x16 and they're too expensive for me..

im going with dynaudio because i have to stick to buying from munstersounds, (i tried selling my rx gear privately to no avail), and i want a change from monitor audio so rx1's/rx2/s are out. the yamaha has the highest watt output in comparison to price, great reviews, and importantly it has a sub out, which i may need for a 2.1 channel movie set-up..

so i guess im looking for any views on the yamaha dynaudio pairing? i
know dynaudios need power, will the yamahas 85watts be enough? does
anyone have any thoughts as to which of the 3 dyns mentioned is the
better speaker or may pair better with the yam?

thanks
emotion-1.gif

Hi maxflinn

Over the last week or so i've mostly been using (and playing in the background) Dynaudio's DM 2/7's, Yamaha's A-S500 and Chord Electronics QBD76. Interconnects are standard freebies and generic speaker cables of 500 strands of OFC. The system sounds just fine
emotion-2.gif
and i would say i've had it on around eighteen hours a day and there has been no fatigue at all.
emotion-1.gif

The DM 2/6's, DM 2/7's and Excite 12's have a 4 ohm impedence however the load is constant and not resestive. The A-S500 has more then enough power which is also potent to cope with these Dynaudio's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Funny you are doing the opposite to what i did I used to have Dynaudio Audience 52's which are similar to the D/M series and swapped them for MA RX6's. The Dyn's are great speakers but I found they need alot of space around them so in my 4m by 4m ish room they were practically in the middle of it!!!! to sound best. They do need a bit of power/current as well but as long as the Yamaha is happy driving 4 ohm loads should be ok. I also found that they like to be driven quite hard and prefer working at medium to loud spl's. That's why I swapped for the MA's because I think they do low volume listening better. I would try and get a demo in your own listening room if you can.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I think the Yamaha A-S500 will be a great buy, I'm interested in this amp myself
emotion-5.gif

I've had some Dynaudio X12 speakers in the past and didn't like them. The bass sounded detached from the rest of the music and the scale could be better. I haven't heard the DM series though.

Why not try the Kef Q100 or Q300 ?

A

Anonymous

rick..

thats great to know, i was hoping you'd chip in as i recall you mentioning that you were using the yam with some dyns, i wont consider whether or not the yam will drive them anymore, if you're happy it does then im happy
emotion-21.gif
. its also good to know that the combo is an easy listen
emotion-1.gif

jiggyjoe..

its interesting that you found the dynaudios you had needed alot of space, one of the reasons im leaning towards the dm 2/6's is that they apparently dont need space, according to the whfi review anyways where they state..

"These speakers are relatively unfussy about positioning - just place them around 15cm from a rear wall and they'll sound fine"

to be honest if they need space then thats a problem as i want to move my tv more closer to the corner of my lounge, which would put the speakers either side of it about 15-20cm from the walls. does anyone agree with whfi that the 2/6's would be ok positioned this way?

cypher..

yea the AS-500 does seem a real steal, ive agreed to pick one up tmw having just got off the phone to my dealer
emotion-4.gif
, ill demo the dyns when he has stock just to be sure i like them. he doesnt sell kefs, im not too keen on their retro looks anyway..

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:
rick..

thats great to know, i was hoping you'd chip in as i recall you mentioning that you were using the yam with some dyns, i wont consider whether or not the yam will drive them anymore, if you're happy it does then im happy
emotion-21.gif
emotion-1.gif

jiggyjoe..

its interesting that you found the dynaudios you had needed alot of space, one of the reasons im leaning towards the dm 2/6's is that they apparently dont need space, according to the whfi review anyways where they state..

"These speakers are relatively unfussy about positioning - just place them around 15cm from a rear wall and they'll sound fine"

to be honest if they need space then thats a problem as i want to move my tv more closer to the corner of my lounge, which would put the speakers either side of it about 15-20cm from the walls. does anyone agree with whfi that the 2/6's would be ok positioned this way?

cypher..

yea the AS-500 does seem a real steal, ive agreed to pick one up tmw having just got off the phone to my dealer
emotion-4.gif
, ill demo the dyns when he has stock just to be sure i like them. he doesnt sell kefs, im not too keen on their retro looks anyway..

Do you change speakers before they are run in?!

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I dont know what size room WHF used them in, maybe an Aircraft Hanger but Dynaudio's dont like walls!!!!! especially my walls/room which is almost square and with solid brick walls.

They were just far to boomy in the bass. If your room is large and with modern partition walls they may work better.

I just urge you to try them in your own room before you buy!

Goodluck.

A

Anonymous

Cypher:Maxflinn, you don't like the retro looks of the new Kef speakers but what about the A-S500 then ?
emotion-18.gif
emotion-2.gif

i love the look of that, big chunky dials and switches, etc.. the kefs im just not mad about, i dont like that silver strip across the front of them, im sure they sound great though, as a certain hifi man on here keeps telling us all
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

jiggyjoe:
Well I dont know what size room WHF used them in, maybe an Aircraft Hanger but Dynaudio's dont like walls!!!!! especially my walls/room which is almost square and with solid brick walls.

They were just far to boomy in the bass. If your room is large and with modern partition walls they may work better.

I just urge you to try them in your own room before you buy!

Goodluck.

thanks, ill have to investigate this further, my room is also square, 4.5 x 4.5m.. the one thing i dont want is to have standmounts that i have to keep well away from walls...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
For goodness sake, we're talking about two different Dynaudio speakers!

The DM 2/6 are designed to be a lot more positioning friendly than previous designs, as both our experience testing in our main hi-fi room (Room 1 here; not an aircraft hanger) showed us and as Dynaudio themselves stress

We do test out a range of positioning, and really wouldn't suggest a distance if we hadn't tried it (and many other distances/toe-ins etc).

But, of course - as we always stress - there's no substitute for your own auditioning, especially if it can be done at home.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

ah thanks clare thats put my mind at ease
emotion-21.gif
, looks like pending a succesful shop demo ill be getting the dm 2/6's then
emotion-19.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:

The DM 2/6 are designed to be a lot more positioning friendly than previous designs, as both our experience testing in our main hi-fi room (Room 1 here; not an aircraft hanger) showed us and as Dynaudio themselves stress

We do test out a range of positioning, and really wouldn't suggest a distance if we hadn't tried it (and many other distances/toe-ins etc).

But, of course - as we always stress - there's no substitute for your own auditioning, especially if it can be done at home.
emotion-2.gif

Clare, can i asked what are those black stands at the bottom of the page in your room one called?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:ah thanks clare thats put my mind at ease
emotion-21.gif
emotion-19.gif

They trade then Max, great news
emotion-21.gif
guessing the tv went then?

Lets see a picture of these new speakers then Max? could not seem to find them when googleing

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel:Clare Newsome:

emotion-2.gif

Clare, can i asked what are those black stands at the bottom of the page in your room one called?

Thanks

Just had another look they are in your room 6 on that page?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

gel:
emotion-21.gif
emotion-19.gif

emotion-21.gif

Lets see a picture of these new speakers then Max? could not seem to find them when googleing

Cheers.

yes they do trade gel, and the tv is gone sadly
emotion-6.gif

im not 100% yet exactly which speakers ill get its goimg to be either dynaudio dm 2/6 or dm 2/7...

here's a pic of the 2/6..
emotion-4.gif

456.jpg

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:gel:

emotion-21.gif
emotion-19.gif

emotion-21.gif

Cheers.

yes they do trade gel, and the tv is gone sadly
emotion-6.gif

im not 100% yet exactly which speakers ill get its goimg to be either dynaudio dm 2/6 or dm 2/7...

here's a pic of the 2/6..
emotion-4.gif

456.jpg

I reckon someone on here might have sniped that, the speakers look really nice Max
emotion-21.gif

maxflinn:
rick..

emotion-21.gif
emotion-1.gif

jiggyjoe..

cypher..

emotion-4.gif

Hi maxflinn

Your welcome.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that most of my listening has been done using standard spotify at 128kbps over Bluetooth APTX and into the QBD76 > A-S500 > DM 2/7's. I am very happy and i just can't stop listening to these components all pinned by the A-S500's beautiful silk like quality.

Yes, the A-S500 is a bargain and given Yamaha's robustness and legendary reliability only adds to the A-S500 excuding confidence.

Btw, what colour have you chosen please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

black.. picking it up in the morning rick, ill be using a little pair of mission 760i's with it till my dealer gets the dyns in..

i just have to decide between dm 2/6's or 2/7's . ill audition both. what would you choose rick? are the 7's worth the extra? are they much bassier? thanks...

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok not quite an aircraft hanger but not much like a typical living room. More like an office with metal stud partitioning and lay in grid ceiling. Solid brick walls make a big difference to the bass response of a speaker as they do not flex unlike modern partitioning.

I think the DM 2/6 would work better than the bigger models.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
jiggyjoe:
Ok not quite an aircraft hanger but not much like a typical living room. More like an office with metal stud partitioning and lay in grid ceiling. Solid brick walls make a big difference to the bass response of a speaker as they do not flex unlike modern partitioning.

That's your assumption, not the reality - we had our testing rooms purpose built in open space, complete with solid walls and soundproofing. These are NOT reworked office units!
emotion-40.gif

If you want to see for yourself, please come along - if you can - to one of our Big Question sessions, open to any reader/web user whom wants to spend a day in our test rooms experiencing a range of kit.
emotion-2.gif

maxflinn:

so i guess im looking for any views on the yamaha dynaudio pairing? i know dynaudios need power, will the yamahas 85watts be enough? does anyone have any thoughts as to which of the 3 dyns mentioned is the better speaker or may pair better with the yam?

thanks
emotion-1.gif

I'm a little puzzled: you said you were selling the RX6s and Marantz amp to save money, but you are going for wholesale changes.
emotion-42.gif

However, Dyns are fabulous speakers, although as I've not heard Yam 2 channel stuff can't comment on the synergy.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:jiggyjoe:

That's your assumption, not the reality - we had our testing rooms purpose built in open space, complete with solid walls and soundproofing. These are NOT reworked office units!
emotion-40.gif

If you want to see for yourself, please come along - if you can - to one of our Big Question sessions, open to any reader/web user whom wants to spend a day in our test rooms experiencing a range of kit.
emotion-2.gif

Now that's an offer you CAN'T refuse! (thought there's a waiting list, though *scratches beard*).

A

Anonymous

ive since got a bit of work pp, with more lined up.. anyway i want a few things with the change to dynaudio standmounts..

1.. i want to be able to position them either side of my tv in the corner of the lounge, this is not possible with the rx6's. the dm range will be fine though so i believe..

2.. i want an easier listen, the rx6's are brilliant in my humble opinion, but they have alot of presence and scale, sometimes too much, they can get tiresome in my room..

3.. i want less clutter, im considering using the dyns along with my sub in a compact 2.1 setup for movies, using the yam as-500 via coax to my blu-ray player/humax..if that works its bye bye to centre /rear speakers and avr,..

4.. id just like a change to standmounts, i liked the open sound i heard from the little missions ive got, not in the rx6's league, obviously, but the dyns should be, im just gonna go for it
emotion-1.gif

maxflinn:
black.. picking it up in the morning rick, ill be using a little pair of mission 760i's with it till my dealer gets the dyns in..

i just have to decide between dm 2/6's or 2/7's . ill audition both. what would you choose rick? are the 7's worth the extra? are they much bassier? thanks...

Hi maxflinn

I feel black with the retro looks is stunning. A joy to look at. I prefer the DM 2/7's (which i also use at home btw) as they offer greater weight, depth, scale and mid range performance compared to the already impressive DM 26's. Yes, i also feel the DM 2/7's are worth the premium over the DM 2/6's. Besides which Dynaudio's classic mid/bass drive unit of the DM 2/7's also looks mean
emotion-2.gif

Ultimately it is your call and i hope you'll like your new components and enjoy their performce for many years to come.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS