out with monitor audio..in with dynaudio..and yamaha??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:maxflinn:
black.. picking it up in the morning rick, ill be using a little pair of mission 760i's with it till my dealer gets the dyns in..

i just have to decide between dm 2/6's or 2/7's . ill audition both. what would you choose rick? are the 7's worth the extra? are they much bassier? thanks...

Hi maxflinn

I feel black with the retro looks is stunning. A joy to look at. I prefer the DM 2/7's (which i also use at home btw) as they offer greater weight, depth, scale and mid range performance compared to the already impressive DM 26's. Yes, i also feel the DM 2/7's are worth the premium over the DM 2/6's. Besides which Dynaudio's classic mid/bass drive unit of the DM 2/7's also looks mean
emotion-2.gif

Ultimately it is your call and i hope you'll like your new components and enjoy their performce for many years to come.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hi rick, the dm 2/7's seem like the better bet for me then, especially going from rx6's, ill demo both anyway and make my mind up at the time.
emotion-21.gif
..thanks..

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
For goodness sake, we're talking about two different Dynaudio speakers!

The DM 2/6 are designed to be a lot more positioning friendly than previous designs, as both our experience testing in our main hi-fi room (Room 1 here; not an aircraft hanger) showed us and as Dynaudio themselves stress

We do test out a range of positioning, and really wouldn't suggest a distance if we hadn't tried it (and many other distances/toe-ins etc).

But, of course - as we always stress - there's no substitute for your own auditioning, especially if it can be done at home.
emotion-2.gif

Clare, that room looks nothing like my living room, no fireplace, no large bay windows, might be brick built but mine is 2 foot thick, solid, why don,t you test some of the equipment in a typical living environment. Thanks, john

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Because there is no typical living environment - for everyone who has patio doors there may be one with a bay window; carpets or hardwood flooring; stufffed with sofas vs minimal furniture, and all the variations in between.

Yes, we also try out kit in our own - very varied - home environments, but when it comes to crunch time, we're testing in rooms that are as neutral as possible; rooms specifically designed so that we're listening to the kit itself, not the effect the environment is having on that kit (eg if a product sounds bright, it's not due to sonic reflections from a hardwood floor or large windows).

With all products given exactly the same playing field - including use of same reference kit - we can genuinely compare their performance.

Yes, your room at home will be very different - as I started this post by stressing, it's rare to find two rooms the same - and so will your specific system, but that's why we constantly stress the need to audition kit before you buy.

We can comparatively test products in a balanced environment and tell you which ones we feel perform the best - and indeed what the characteristics of those products are (lean/bassy/bright etc)- to try and find you a good shortlist of products to pick from. After that it's over to you!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare, very well explained. I did not know that you tested some of the kit at home, now i realise that you are trying to immitate every environment possible, thats good to know, in fact you are probably exposing hi-fi to more true to life listening conditions than the manufacturers themselves, good stuff.

A

Anonymous

gel:

Clare, can i asked what are those black stands at the bottom of the page in your room one called?

Thanks

Hi gel - not sure if someone has answered your question but it is the Atacama Equinox AV range stand.

emotion-1.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
johnnyjazz: I did not know that you tested some of the kit at home,

Not testing in a formal sense - typically a 'i've got to try me this at home!' experiment
emotion-2.gif
Hence also addition of our 'living with it' boxouts and longer features in the magazine recently (plus the 'hands-on' blogs you find on this very website). The work doesn't end when we leave this place (if ever!)

D

Deleted member 2457

Vinny7:gel:

Clare, can i asked what are those black stands at the bottom of the page in your room one called?

Thanks

Hi gel - not sure if someone has answered your question but it is the Atacama Equinox AV range stand.

emotion-1.gif

Hi Vinny

No i don't think no one else has either
emotion-1.gif

Cheers for that just looked it up and i think i have found them, this is right by the looks of it

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/atacama_equinox_3_shelf_av_stand.shtml

I am guessing what hi fi probaly use these alot for there testing then

This would be ideal to mention guys in the system builders
emotion-21.gif

I think the measurements look spot on i will have to check later.

Cheers mate

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:Well. FWIW I use one of these at home all the time, not least because it was one of the few racks large enough to house the centre speaker I have.

Just been looking at the dimensions and weight limits of this stand, bit strange the findings:

Top shelf 75kg max - that is alot for top shelf, impressed with that.

Next two down 25kg Max - 25kg that is all? My pioneer 18.5kg, my pioneer 5.7kg sky box not sure? you are pushing past the weight on the bottom shelf, middle shelf is great - 25kg fit any centre speaker.

Imagine if you had a 91 pioneer though - no chance at all. on bottom shelf.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

johnnyjazz: I did not know that you tested some of the kit at home,

Not testing in a formal sense - typically a 'i've got to try me this at home!' experiment
emotion-2.gif
Hence also addition of our 'living with it' boxouts and longer features in the magazine recently (plus the 'hands-on' blogs you find on this very website). The work doesn't end when we leave this place (if ever!)

I believe JD is in-depth 'testing' quite a lot of your review items at home ...

What I don't understand is, under what understanding are manufacturers supplying these products unless you buy them? How long can you normally keep them until you have to return them?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:I believe JD is in-depth 'testing' quite a lot of your review items at home ...

No, AFAIK JD has a NaimUniti on long-term loan.

drummerman:What I don't understand is, under what understanding are
manufacturers supplying these products unless you buy them? How long
can you normally keep them until you have to return them?

On the understanding that as soon as the manufacturer wants them back, they will be returned.

A

Anonymous

well i picked up the yamaha as-500 today, ive got it hooked up to my little mission 760i's which are currently sitting on two stacks of paving bricks
emotion-1.gif
, some nice stands are next on my agenda.

ive ordered a pair of dynaudio dm 2/7's in rosewood, i hope to have them before the end of the month. its hard to judge the yamaha with the little pint sized missions, but they sound way better than they did yesterday when i had them hooked up as fronts to my avr, theres far more life and punch to the sound, i cant wait to hook the dynaudios up to this yammy
emotion-4.gif

ive a feeling the next two weeks will feel like four
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

as i said its difficult to judge at the moment, im using the little mission speakers which i only have a week, and have never heard with a proper stereo amp, the guy i got the missions from took my marantz pm7000 stereo amp at the same time..

but
emotion-4.gif

the missions sound much,much better than they did on the end of my avr, of course any decent stereo amp would be better than that for music, but they do sound great, ive a feeling this yamaha is a great product, i like everything about it, bar the fact that its impossible to see what level the volume knob is set to, i think ill need a strip of very luminous sticky tape..
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

AEJim:maxflinn:
no, but maxguitar sounds nice
emotion-4.gif

or dynaudiomax
emotion-40.gif

"Dynamax"
emotion-4.gif

i love it
emotion-4.gif