Monitor Audio GR10 vs. Dynaudio Excite X12 or DM 2/6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks,

Anyone ever run a direct comparison of Monitor Audio GR10 vs. Dynaudio Excite X12 or DM 2/6? I've heard the Monitor Audio's, but have no access to Dynaudio. If you've heard any of these against the Monitor Audio RS6, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts as well. Any recommendation as to the selection?

(They will be hooked up to a Denon 18xx amp, although I'm considering moving up to the Peachtree nova sometime soon).

Thanks,

zsteir

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If I was really forced to choose one, it'd be the DM2/6, but even then I'd exercise caution. The GR10 and X12 will both require far more current than your AV receiver will provide in order for them to sound anywhere near as good as they should. Speakers like this on insufficient amplification are going to sound no better than speakers half their price, and in some cases not even as good.
Of the three, the DM2/6 will be the easiest load, but I'd still be recommending receivers around the 600/700 mark in order to even start driving them properly. Most sub £500 receivers are just going to run out of steam at higher volumes, especially when driving a 5.1 system. If the receiver can't provide enough current, kick drums aren't going to kick like they should, and any dynamic swings in the music will be handled with all the finesse of an 80's ghetto blaster.

What speakers are you running at the moment?

A

Anonymous

Thanks, FrankHarvey.

I'm currently running Klipsch KSB 2.1. They did me OKay for many (student) years, but it is time for more musical and less muddy speakers.

Do you have any opinions on the Peachtree (Era) Design 5? I'm thinking of moving away from a 5.1 system, back to plain stereo, which is why I also started looking at the Peachtree Nova (especially given that much of my music is now in FLAC). I take it that its 80W per channel (at 6 ohm) will also be insufficient to drive the MA's or X12. Could you recommend a a DAC + Amp combo for about the same price that you would prefer?

Also, perhaps you can clarify the following, which I've had a hard time understanding: many reviewers note that the Design 5's require good amplification to flourish, but many claim that they are well matched with the Nova's (fairly modest) wattage. What gives?

Thanks for your help. Sorry for the barrage of question, I'm a relative newbie to all this.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've not heard the Peachtree, so I can't really comment on it's compatibility or an equivalent, I can only go by it's price.

It's power will be fine for the RX's, and it should be ok for the Dyns, but that'll depend on it's current capability and control.

Power output is only a guide to a product's loudness and dynamic capabilities - that'll be down to it's current output (measured in amps), which isn't usually quoted nowadays. Some low powered (quality) amplification can have a high current output.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:If I was really forced to choose one, it'd be the DM2/6, but even then I'd exercise caution. The GR10 and X12 will both require far more current than your AV receiver will provide in order for them to sound anywhere near as good as they should. Speakers like this on insufficient amplification are going to sound no better than speakers half their price, and in some cases not even as good.
Of the three, the DM2/6 will be the easiest load, but I'd still be recommending receivers around the 600/700 mark in order to even start driving them properly. Most sub £500 receivers are just going to run out of steam at higher volumes, especially when driving a 5.1 system. If the receiver can't provide enough current, kick drums aren't going to kick like they should, and any dynamic swings in the music will be handled with all the finesse of an 80's ghetto blaster.

What speakers are you running at the moment?

Just bumping this thread up as I'm curious what you think of the Cyrus 6XP's ability with the X12s, David? I contacted a dealer last summer to audition this combo, and also DB1i (which I ended up with), he said the amp would drive both sets of speakers fine, but how true is that? I've seen WHF partner the 6XP with a range of speakers in the mag too.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Different dealers are going to have different ideas about this. Some dealers seem to recommend a combination just because when plugged in, some sound comes out. Whether a speaker can properly driven by an amplifier is an entirely different thing.

The Excite range, like the previous Audience and Focus ranges are a 4ohm load. In the past, Cyrus and Dynaudio were a very popular combination, but found that many people with the older 6vs and 6vs2 were having problems with these amps getting rather warm and cutting out between the 11 and 12 o'clock position on the volume dial. This was due to the Dynaudio's drawing a lot of current from the 6's, which it could cope with for a certain amount of time, but not for any length of time.

I would say the DB1i's are an easier load than the Dyn's - not by much, but noticeable. I find the X12's the punchier sounding loudspeaker, but the DB1's are a better balance as Dyn's tend to be overly bassy.

The new 6 amp is better at handling awkward loads, but I'd still err on the side of caution - I'd try and stick to genuine 8ohm loads for any Cyrus amp with a 6 in it.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Different dealers are going to have different ideas about this. Some dealers seem to recommend a combination just because when plugged in, some sound comes out. .
emotion-2.gif

Despite their being 4Ohms, am I not right in remembering that Dynaudio advertise the Excite range in their marketing as an easy load for most amps? Suppose it then depends on what you include in "most amps"...

Again, just out of curiosity since I have now sold mine on, (and it is the current WHF award winner), what would be your top 3 recommendations for speakers with the 6XP (customer preferences notwithstanding)?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts