Panasonics Grey Line Of Irritation!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
:pray: Hi all...ah! well....here I go again...just when I thought it was safe to go into the water I now find that I have a problem with my other Panasonic Plasma TX-P50G10B TV which I purchased from a local retailer on 18th February 2010.

The TV has developed all of a sudden a 3 inch grayed in area right down the left hand side of the screen. I can still see through it but the effect is really very much visible.

I shouldn't have any problems in respect of this particular repair as the set has a 5 years manufacturers guarantee, and in any case it is still under two years old. I will be contacting the shop today (15th September 2011) to see what they have to say. That should be interesting.

The thing is, I have done a Google for this problem and it is pretty prevalent along with my 'Red Light Of Death on my other Panny.

I would NEVER buy another Panasonic TV again, and if you are thinking of buying one, then Buyer Beware! :read:

I am going to post this problem seperate, but I guess this has already been mentioned here?

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
sounds a bit harsh mate.. see how you get on with warranty first.. i have a Panasonic 42Vt30 that i would be very very slow to part with.. i think its amazing.. so much so i am fingered crossed hoping i will actually keep it well into the lifespan of the five year warranty i have..

A

Anonymous

Mine developed a purple line in the middle of the screen 4 years and 9 months into the 5 year warranty so it had a new panel put in and is better than ever.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you're buying a plasma (or any TV i suppose), get one with a 5 year warranty!

A

Anonymous

Hello micks.address and thank you for the reply. :)

With respect, I do not think I am being harsh at all. After all I have had a Panasonic TX-P42G10B Plasma which would not switch on under 2 years old. That took around 5 weeks to sort out, went away for around 3 weeks, and had to have a new power board fitted. Fair play....Currys did not charge me at all.

Now I have my Panasonic TX-P50G10B which has a 3 inch grey/blue shading right down the left hand side of the screen.

I have already 'phoned the retailer up about it and they are coming out today to collect it, so god knows how long that will be away.

If one does a Google for this particular fault and the power fault the'se problems are all over the place with Panasonic Plasma TVs , including America, so perhaps you can see why I would never ever buy a Panasonic TV again?. :(

http://panasonicplasmafail.blogspot.com/2009/07/welcome-to-panasonic-plasma-fail.html

Still, speak as you find I suppose? :)

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
but do you think Panasonic are any less reliable than any other make? Question for What hi fi team... are there any surverys out there like they do for car makes to see which are the most 'reliable' brands.. might make interesting reading.. all im saying is that all makes have issues, my brothers Sony 45" LCD has blown the HDMI board twice and its been fixed under warranty.. i've had phillips where the tube went under 12 months back in the day.. Sony CRTs with all sorts of issues.. i dont think there's any one bullet proof band.. one thing i have learned though is the more you spend on something the more likely you are to notice issues with it... i had a lot of problems with last years panasonic plasmas - buzzing/ floating blacks being the big culprits.. and some issues with 3d (like IR flooding) but this year is a marked improvement in those areas for me.. so im happy (for now)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello boozercruiser,

I was hoping you wouldn't have to post about yet another issue my friend but here we are again...i feel very sorry for you after the ordeal you had with the power switch on the other panny plasma :doh:

It's very strange that it's the same model of tv but a different fault and makes me wonder if the G10 has inherent faults or perhaps you have been very unlucky, it is a little harsh to say you won't buy another panasonic plasma tv but as you know i can understand your frustration!

To bring you up to speed i'm on my 3rd GT30 plasma in a month due to one with a shadowy line (similar to yours) down the left hand side of the screen and another with a very loud buzzing coming from it but so far this 3rd one is spot on and i'm very happy that i bought this tv despite the issues i have had, so i truly understand what you are saying and when you add up the issues i had with my G20 aswell i should not want another panasonic plasma but i dived straight back in.

Did this plasma come from currys like the last one or did you get it from another retailer? Just wondering because then you may have some idea of how long you will have to wait for a repair and any potential cost involved but hopefully you don't have to go through the same ammount of hassle as last time, that would be a nightmare :help:

Of course you have my sympathies yet again and i hope your retailer is fast to act and that the tv is either repaired or replaced quickly, i just don't beleive we are back here so soon, you must be angry as hell mate.

Best regards,

Oldboy.

A

Anonymous

>) >) :bounce: micks address....."but do you think Panasonic are any less reliable than any other make? Question for What hi fi team... are there any surverys out there like they do for car makes to see which are the most 'reliable' brands.. might make interesting reading.. all im saying is that all makes have issues".

That is a very good point along with your suggestion about possible surveys to see just what makes are the most reliable. All I can say is that my experience with Panasonic Plasma TVs has not been good. Also I have trawled the Internet to try and get a feeling about Panny's and I have to tell you that the TVs do not come out good at all.

Particularly in respect of both my problems to do with one set failing to turn on (Power supply failure) and now my 3 inch thick grey/blue line going down the left hand side of the panel. As far as I can see this paricular problem means a brand new panel so I am very pleased that I have a 5 year guarantee which came with the set at the time of purchase.

Oldboy...hello M8...lovely to be conversing with you again....you know that I am a fan of yours of course! :rofl:

By the way...that set with the 'Red Light Of Death' problem was the Panasonic TX=P42G15B and I now have it set up in the living room using it while the 50 incher goes away for repair. YES.....I only telephoned this morning and they came out this afternoon to collect. Very good service up to now. :grin:

But then.....I purchased that particular set of a local retailer in Aberystwyth so perhaps they are better than the Currys of this world?

"Of course you have my sympathies yet again and i hope your retailer is fast to act and that the tv is either repaired or replaced quickly, i just don't beleive we are back here so soon, you must be angry as hell mate".

Funnily enough Oldboy, I am not angry at all just so long as the TV set is being properly repaired at no cost to me then I am actually very happy in fact. :cheer: :bounce:

Particularly if it comes back with a lovely new shiny Panel! :bounce:

At the moment I will save my anger for my £1300 Council Tax Bill while we give billions to India who have a nuclear bomb and a space program. Also for Libya and all the other dead leg countries where we also hand our cash to. And oh! have I mentioned Bankers, MPs, Public Sector workers nice and lovely final sallary Pension Schemes paid for by the likes of you and I? |( >)

God M8...I could go on but I am just going to look at the BBC Watchdog program now just to wind myself up a little bit more....Victor Meldrew....move over M8y :rofl:

PS....I understand that not everyone will agree with me in respect of my 'rants' there....no offence meant....particularly if you are a Council Worker about to go on strike! :pray:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Wish we were conversing under better circumstances but it's a pleasure none the less :grin:

It's great news that this retailer has collected the tv so promptly and it bodes well for the repair so lest's hope you aren't waiting too long for the issue to be resolved but you must be prepared for a wait if the screen needs replacing as that's quite a job to carry out, from what i've read on the subject you may well be right that it's what needs to happen in order to repair it so a bit of patience may be required.

As i said with your last repair currys don't have a good track record when it comes to tv repairs and your experience with your local retailer must only reinforce that theory because to be round and collect it that quickly is what you call proper customer service eh and it's good to hear you aren't angry this time but then you have enough experience of poor customer service to appreciate how good your retailer has been up to now, i hope it continues.

Got to say that i loved your rant...gave me a good laugh this morning :rofl: but it's all true and sums up the feelings of many hard working people in the country (including myself) at the moment who just get angry at the cost of living these days and the total waste of money and resources the current mockery of a government are engaged in. Oh how i wish i could just go on strike in protest of the cost of living...it's quite frankly getting ridiculous and with energy bills soaring by the month it's only going to get worse.

Right that's my little meldrew rant out of the way too... :D

I look forward to some good news regarding the repair of your tv soon mate, in the meantime my very best wishes to you.

Oldboy.

A

Anonymous

Hi Oldboy...you sound just like my kind of guy and I wish I where in the local BOOZER :beer: chatting over my telly problem and life in general. I reckon we would soon sort the country out good style! :D

Regarding my Panasonic TXP50G10B problem....I am starting to worry :doh:

I have a 5 year guarantee which is mentioned on my payment receipt. As I said the local retailer has already been to take the set. However the owner of the business said to me.......................

"Have you got your 5 year guarantee card, Panasonic would have sent you one?" I said "I don't remember receiving one" The shop "Well if you can't find it we should still be able to repair, but it may take longer"

So this morning I telephoned Panasonic Warranty section and the conversation went like this.....

Me........................"Hello I am trying to find out if you sent me out a 5 year guarantee certificate for my TV which I purchased on 18th February 2010"

Panasonic "No, we would not have sent out a certificate as we did not have a 5 year deal in February 2010, though we did have an offer on late 2009, but what is your name, post code etc."

So, he checked, came back and said "No, we have no record of a Guarantee for you" :exmark:

I am certain that if I had received that certificate I would have put it in with the original TV receipt which is on an A4.

Now I worry :O ......but 5 year guarantee or no the set is under 2 years old so as per my previous 'Red Light Of Death' problem I do not expect to have to pay for repair, even though this telly may need an expensive new panel.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Agreed...a few pints later and i reckon we could have all the problems with the country and your tv well and truly sorted :cheers: shame this conversation isn't happening in the pub right now!

Nooooo....don't say you are going to have yet more hassle, i don't beleive your luck! The fact that the 5 year guarantee is metioned on your receipt though is at least some good news as you have a record of the offer at the time of purchase and is your smoking gun if your retailer kicks up a fuss, fingers crossed this isn't the case though.

It seems very strange to me that you purchased the tv in good faith that you had a 5yr guarantee yet panasonic are saying no such offer existed at the time you purchased, either the tv was mis sold in the first place or panasonic haven't got their facts straight...either way it's on your receipt as proof at the time of purchase so i wouldn't worry too much just yet. Wait untill your retailer gets back to you with the results of what needs to be done to the tv in order to repair it and take it from there.

You are in that awkward period of ownership yet again where the initial 1 year warranty has lapsed and the tv is under 2 years old but at least you have good experience on how to handle the situation, it's just a shame you find yourself here yet again.

I really hope you don't have a fight on your hands yet again and that your retailer recognises that you bought the tv in good faith that you had a 5year warranty after all someone has made a mistake here and it's not you! :?

Best wishes mate and i hope it's good news soon :beer:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
boozercruiser said:
...Public Sector workers nice and lovely final sallary Pension Schemes paid for by the likes of you and I? |( >)
Just a quick o/t note that not all of us public sector workers have enviable pensions or salaries...truth as always is that the senior civil servants do, but we all get tarred with the same brush. The real truth is that mere mortals like me further down the food chain are for example in the first year of an imposed two-year salary-freeze with maybe a 2% pay-rise at the end of it (if we're lucky) even though our median-average salaries are already several percent lower than equivalent averages in the private sector. Easy targets you see, hurting your own...especially since it's a popular move with Joe Public who thinks we're all on million-pound pensions and salaries and have servants to wipe our bottoms (also paid for, of course, from the taxpayers' purse). Shame that's not the reality, I could go for that (except for the servant bit: I prefer to wipe my own nethers thank you).

No offence taken or meant...just felt it needed a little bit of perspective. :)

Back on topic...

A

Anonymous

Hi...like you say no offence was meant. This is a very emotive subject which we could probably rant about from our obviously different point of views in respect of it. Best wishes to your nethers though! :D

BUT...this is a Hi Fi etc. Forum and I probably had no right to even bring up the subject here, so let's just beg to differ and leave it like that shall we....otherwise I might get told off by the Moderators.

Now then, I wonder if I am going to get my Telly fixed under that Guarantee? :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
boozercruiser said:
so let's just beg to differ and leave it like that shall we....otherwise I might get told off by the Moderators.
No worries...I probably shouldn't even have picked up on it either, but as a public servant I do get fed up of only one side of the argument being heard. Which isn't your fault, but more the fault of the gutter-press who are only interesed in printing sensationalist headlines rather than the balanced truth. But that probably goes for every news story, not just the so-called golden salaries and pensions that the vast majority of us will never get.

Hope you get your telly sorted. Sounds to me like there's some quality control issues which Panasonic need to sort out PDQ!

:)

A

Anonymous

Havent posted for a while....been on holiday in Bournemouth.

Got back in touch with the local franchised supplier who I purchased the TV from to see what was going on in respect of the 3" grey/blue shading which is down the left hand side of the screen.

The shop said that they have had the TV on at various times and the fault has not shown up again. The fault showed up for two days some weeks ago....then for 4 days at which point I contacted the supplier. The shading was showing when the guys came for the TV, so it not showing in the shop is sods law!.

I sent them an E. Mail of the fault both by photo and video taken with my Canon Ixus 75 camera.

The shop are saying that they and Panasonic are reluctant to change the screen because the cost of that is £700.

My point of view is that the fault is there and will only come back...the set is under a 5 year guarantee and I just want the problem fixed.

Any views guys?

I wish I could post a photo or the video here so you can see exactly what I am on about.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
boozercruiser said:
Havent posted for a while....been on holiday in Bournemouth.

Got back in touch with the local franchised supplier who I purchased the TV from to see what was going on in respect of the 3" grey/blue shading which is down the left hand side of the screen.

The shop said that they have had the TV on at various times and the fault has not shown up again. The fault showed up for two days some weeks ago....then for 4 days at which point I contacted the supplier. The shading was showing when the guys came for the TV, so it not showing in the shop is sods law!.

I sent them an E. Mail of the fault both by photo and video taken with my Canon Ixus 75 camera.

The shop are saying that they and Panasonic are reluctant to change the screen because the cost of that is £700.

My point of view is that the fault is there and will only come back...the set is under a 5 year guarantee and I just want the problem fixed.

Any views guys?

I wish I could post a photo or the video here so you can see exactly what I am on about.

I watched the video boozercruiser and imo that line is awful! At first i thought it was part of the broadcast but thats quite a shadow isn't it...i would be far from happy if that was me, i can assure you.

What i find very strange is that the retailer is unable to see the fault, that just strikes me as seriously weird, is it possible for you to see the tv working at your retailer to see for yourself that the line is not visible? I'm wondering if they have changed any settings as well as that may have had a bearing on the picture but i'm sure someone with your knowledge would have gone through everything before you sent it back...it's just all a bit strange that it gets to the store and is suddenly not there eh.

As it's under warranty i can't see why the retailer or panasonic would not replace the screen, is that not the point of insurance? It's not as if either party will actually have to pay for it as that's a matter for the insurer...unless the warranty is with panasonic of course because then the waters get a little muddied!

I'm of the opinion mate that you have documented evidence of the issue, best of all, it's in the public domain and freely available to watch on youtube by anyone so there is no way they can say there isn't an issue. If i was in your position i would be pressing the retailer for answers and i would at the very least want to see the tv running in the shop to see for myself that there is no line present.

If at that point you can't see it i would be looking at the lighting conditions in the shop as from your vid it looked like low lighting conditions when you took the shots so i would be wondering if bright light might be masking the issue? I wouldn't be happy with just being fobbed off as i'm sure you won't so i think you need to talk to the retailer, they have evidence from you that an issue is there so i would want them to act on that. I wouldn't be happy to just accept the tv back without some form of resolution because, like yourself, i would just be waiting for it to come back!

That's just my opinion of course and others may disagree but imo there is a fault that needs further investigation, hope that is of some help to you.

Best regards,

Nick.

A

Anonymous

Hello again oldboy, and thanks for reply. :wave:

The thing is, the shop has the evidence and CAN SEE as per a photo and the video now posted on You Tube, plus the fault was showing when the guys came to pick up the tv.

My 'problem' is that since they switched the TV on in the shop the fault is not showing at the moment, which is 'sods law' so they are reluctant to change the panel.

This problem has happened twice so although it appears intermittent at the moment, something is badly wrong. If they send it back without doing anything to repair then I will make it very plain that I will only accept it back 'UNDER PROTEST'. :wall:

Make no mistake, there IS a problem with the set which will only come back, maybe the net day, the next week, the nextmonth or the next year. It WILL come back.

In that event, THEN I start making a fuss! |( That is not like me of course old boy! :rofl:

By the way, I sent the below E. Mail into the shop yesterday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j_b0VhAXNA

Dear Sir,

Further to my visit to your shop and telephone calls. I was advised that there was some difficulty in showing Panasonic Video of the fault I sent you through the E. Mail.

If you direct Panasonic to the above posting on You Tube then they can see it for themselves. You may also advise Panasonic that this customer is starting to get a little irritated at the delay in sorting out this particular problem.

Best Regards

Kenny Thain

P.S. I think I have a problem....look at this!.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRzUk3Z4eWg

Just a further note...the shop 'phoned me up and said "What is that just under the TV, is it a internet Router as that may be interfering with the picture"?....obviously trying to put the blame on anything BUT the set.

I said....."No, that is not a Router, it is an ARCAM RDAC converter. My Samsung Laptop is right behind that set and the sound is USBd out of the Laptop into the DAC for HI FI Sound and then into my Arcam A85 Amp and then to my KEF 1-2 Speakers. I subscribe to Spotify for all my music. There is no wireless there because the Laptop Internet is run from my Netgear Home Plug Electricity supply".

I think that shut him up on that particular line of get out! ;)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Kenny,

As i said earlier i do beleive there is a problem with the tv...the evidence is there for all to see for god sake so there is no getting away from the fact that you have video evidence of an issue and that i beleive it needs further investigation from the shop in question. Just because it doesn't show up in the shop doesn't mean there is not an issue all that does is point to it being an intermittent issue and it should be investigated as such, that's just common sense is it not?? :?

It really did sound like the shop were fishing for a potential source of the problem, it's fair enough to look for a potential source of interference but i can't see it producing that issue, you know your stuff and aren't stupid so good on you for putting them in their place!

The shop need to investigate the issue with the evidence you have presented them with and if they don't then you aren't receiving the service you have the right to expect and just like you i would be forever waiting for it to happen again, if it was me i just wouldn't accept the tv back untill the issue had been investigated...they have even seen the issue with their own eyes for crying out loud, what else do they need as evidence exactly?? :wall:

Keep fighting mate, i beleive you are right to keep insisting that it's thoroughly investigated but if you aren't happy then get a second opinion if you can from another tv repair company and give the bill to them or panasonic!

Best regards, hope it gets sorted out soon but keep me posted.

Nick.

A

Anonymous

:clap: Thanks for your usual words of comfort and good advice Nick. At this moment in time I have not heard further from the shop, which is Vaughans Radio Ltd of Aberystwyth and has around 4 shops in Wales which specialise in Panasonic TVs.

Me being the patient type like! ;) I will give them a few more days. If this is not sorted towards the end of next week then

|( NO MORE MR, NICE GUY! |( :read:

After all, they have now had the set since 15th September 2011!.....long enough methinks.

Best Regards

Kenny Thain

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Anytime Kenny, it's a pleasure to be able to help you in some way :beer:

Sounds like a plan to me...they have had it long enough now eh, give them til the middle of the week then get on their case, i think that's given them enough time imo. Good on you for naming and shaming the retailer i would be tempted to direct them to this thread and see if that sparks them into life, you never know eh ;)

Keep me posted with how you get on and i truly hope that this week brings good news and a resolution to your issue :pray:

Best regards Kenny,

Nick.

A

Anonymous

Hello again oldboy. Actually the missus and I are having a little holiday this week in Chester and are back friday. My answer 'phone will be on, so if no message I will telephone them on Saturday to see what is going on.

Right now nick I will not go out of my way to .name and shame' them. Actually in talking to them they are very nice and polite about the situation without actually sorting things out for me.

I have posted the video of the fault on You Tube so they know about that and I bet it didn't make them exactly very happy.

At the moment I am trying to be very patient. (Well, my Missus says that I am very trying :D !) :)

BUT....if I can't see any daylight by this coming Saturday then like I say......No More Mr. Nice Guy!......

And then I will send them the link to here if I have to.

Must admit though....it was easy getting arsy with Currys....that is a big organisation....but a rather small business where your dealing with people who actually run it needs handling a little differently. :D

Thank you for your help nick. Must say though, I am very suprised :? that more people havent contributed to my thread....even if it where to have a go at me...I can take it!

A

Anonymous

Update.....I have just (10th October 2011) received an E. Mail from the shop saying....

Morning,

update on your repair, replacment screen is on order for your television set.

will fit asap and arrange to return the unit to yourself.

thank you for your patients

(End)

Nice one. :grin:

So I sent back...

Thank you for this very welcome information, and I will look forward to hearing from you again at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards

Kenny Thain

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Excellent news Kenny! :bounce:

I wonder what made them change the screen in the end? Not that it matters anymore as i'm sure you are happy with the resolution, hope you have a nice break and come back to good news re when you will receive the tv back.

Your patience has been rewarded and you obviously dealt with the retailer in the best possible way so kudos to you, as ever, keep me updated with the progress of the repair.

Best regards,

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts