Panasonic TX-P50GT50

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I've been contemplating buying the above set but have taken a step back whilst other people have and reported their issues.

My question is shall I still consider this as a decent tv or should I avoid because of the reported issues. I know JL seem very supportive if I encounter any problems and it £899 there currently.

Anyone wish to add a quick reply with a summary of pros and cons with reported issues etc.

thanks

If it were not for those reported issues, I would've confidently said to go for it. If you're prepared to take the chance & the risk of returning the set in case of problems, then go for it. John Lewis is amongst the best out there for customer service.

See if you can check the TV in shop before buying it, & watch a game of football.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
If you can take along some grey slides on a USB, this will also show up the issue.

I'm not sure you'll lose anything by buying, since John Lewis allows a 28 day cool off period. I'll be surprised if you get a TV free from the famous vertical bands/dirty screen effect, though.

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
I bought the 50" GT50 just after Christmas from John Lewis. However, we had 2 faulty sets (motion handling poor on 1st, bad flicker and buzzing on 2nd... minor banding on both) so I ended up getting a refund.

JL customer service is so excellent that I wouldn't but a TV from anybody else. It's a lot of money and having that peace of mind is priceless.

You might get lucky but if not, it's a lot of hassle (phone calls, boxing/unboxing/waiting for delivery/collection etc). Plus Pansonic will have pulled out of the plasma TV business before the 5 year warranty is over. Question for JL would be what happens if it develops a fault in that time period? Will you get an equivalent 4k / OLED at £900 (wishful thinking I'm sure)???

ianr23gp said:
Plus Pansonic will have pulled out of the plasma TV business before the 5 year warranty is over. Question for JL would be what happens if it develops a fault in that time period? Will you get an equivalent 4k / OLED at £900 (wishful thinking I'm sure)???

I won't worry too much about that. There will always be an equivalent TV on the market. Some Kuro owners have been offered a Panasonic VT50 as a replacement.

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
A Japanese branded, Chinese manafuctured equivalent if the TV market goes the way of Philps... Oh, and some other Korean ones :)

Personally, I'd avoid the GT50 but appreciate £900 is very tempting for such a (fingers crossed, issue free) TV.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
I only found the buzzing a problem, but this really is noticeable to me as I use it in a very very quiet room.....I've had two sets (3rd on the way) and not noticed any of the other problems.....

it must be the best 50' for that money...

D

Deleted member 2457

ianr23gp said:
Fingers crossed it's 3rd time lucky... like Gel :)

smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Nick_Shepherd said:
I only found the buzzing a problem, but this really is noticeable to me as I use it in a very very quiet room.....I've had two sets (3rd on the way) and not noticed any of the other problems.....

it must be the best 50' for that money...

Good luck. Same problems as I had, you can definitely get quiet ones though but it does seem hard to get them. Fingers crossed for you. The buzzing got on my nerves too.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all ,it's a shame the likes of panasonic, pioneer have pulled away from the plasma market ,you would of thought they would of carried on until the likes of oled and 4k tv's where more affordable to the moddest man ,lets hope when the new samsung comes out that is a good as the zt 65 at cost that most can afford ,let hope these new formats are as good as they say.david

long live plasma

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
go for it,i was really put off by this thread and like yourself didnt no whether to take a chance on the gt50,ordered from jl last week and have hardly slept,well took delivery today and all i can say is wow
a stunning tv,no noise,no picture issues just beautiful,i will sleep well tonight...if i can drag myself away from it,so go for it. :cheers:

Merlin83b

May 22, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
If you can take along some grey slides on a USB, this will also show up the issue.

I'm not sure you'll lose anything by buying, since John Lewis allows a 28 day cool off period. I'll be surprised if you get a TV free from the famous vertical bands/dirty screen effect, though.

Just a uniform grey image at the appropriate resolution (1920x1080)? GIF? What should I be looking for if the set were faulty?

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
For the price it is worth it, you could buy a newer set/model and still have problems, I think the reviews/awards speak for them selves, I have had mine a few weeks now and well pleased with it. 8)

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Just to provide balance - I bought one just after Christmas and it is up on the wall delivering fantastic pictures (thanks to the THX app on my phone) along with my excellent KEF speakers and Denon Amp. I couldn't be happier! Only negative I can see, is my wall could have taken a bigger one!!

Brilliant tlees in my opinion - the best I've ever seen if I'm honest - and I've been lucky as I have encountered no issues - although there is a very slight buzz on lighter (white) images on occasions. That really is picking holes though and to be expected from a plasma panel.

Buy from JL with confidence too.

D

Deleted member 2457

mattjax05 said:
Getting the tele tomorrow - apprehensive and excited at the same time.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou8hdqyCRBE

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Paid for it today and picking it up tomorrow now.

From what I have read it's best to leave settings on normal, turn pixal orbitor on and stay away from settings such as dynamic for the first 200 hours.

Anything else I should know? Should I turn contrast, brightness, colour etc down to under 50%

cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

mattjax05 said:
Paid for it today and picking it up tomorrow now.

From what I have read it's best to leave settings on normal, turn pixal orbitor on and stay away from settings such as dynamic for the first 200 hours.

Anything else I should know? Should I turn contrast, brightness, colour etc down to under 50%

cheers

That sounds fine to me. Don't pause and don't leave it on Sky Sports news for too long.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
No 'out of the box' issues so far. It's as quiet as a mouse and watching a sky movie panning shots are so smooth compared to my 2008 Panny Plasma (that's going to take some getting used to) you feel as though you're actually watching through the original camera if that makes sense. Can this be altered?

Keeping picture mode on normal but I have touched up contrast and touched down colour. Brightness and sharpness at half way and colour balance normal. Not too dissimilar to how I like it - not far off Cinema mode.

Next up blu ray viewing.

D

Deleted member 2457

mattjax05 said:
No 'out of the box' issues so far. It's as quiet as a mouse and watching a sky movie panning shots are so smooth compared to my 2008 Panny Plasma (that's going to take some getting used to) you feel as though you're actually watching through the original camera if that makes sense. Can this be altered?

Keeping picture mode on normal but I have touched up contrast and touched down colour. Brightness and sharpness at half way and colour balance normal. Not too dissimilar to how I like it - not far off Cinema mode.

Next up blu ray viewing.

Nice one!
smiley-smile.gif
Blu-rays look amazing.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
mattjax05 said:

Next up blu ray viewing.

glad it's looking good out of the box. My 2nd gt50 looked good out of the box and then I watched the football, oh dear |(

changed some settings and waiting for this Sundays match.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts