Panasonic TX-55CX802B HDR compatibility - or lack of?

Bobjuana

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I purchased a Panasonic TX-55CX802B earlier this year on the basis that appeared future proofed, in that it came with the assurance of a "HDR firmware upgrade". Retailer: Richer Sounds.

Having now applied the upgrade, I am finding that it doesn't comply with the generally accepted 10bit colour depth (the TV has an 8bit panel, although this didn't figure in the specs on the Panasonic website at the time of purchase and I took the Promise of the HDR upgrade to mean that it would be supportive of any HDR content).

The TV is not compatible with 10bit HDR being output from a PS4 pro (PS4 states only 2k HDR supported by the TV) and it doesn't support Netflix HDR for presumably the same reason?

I feel as if the forward compatibility of the TV in terms of HDR support was misrepresented at the time of purchase. Panasonic's response (from their MD) is that "a 10 bit signal doesn't necessarily need a 10 bit panel to display it" and have dismissed my grievance. It's worth noting that the HDR upgrade came after the HDR standard (ultra HD premium) had been baselined and at no point did Panasonic specify it was only a partial upgrade.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on whether this is a reasonable response and whether anyone else has similar issues?

thank you

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Bobjuana said:
Hi all,

I purchased a Panasonic TX-55CX802B earlier this year on the basis that appeared future proofed, in that it came with the assurance of a "HDR firmware upgrade". Retailer: Richer Sounds.

Having now applied the upgrade, I am finding that it doesn't comply with the generally accepted 10bit colour depth (the TV has an 8bit panel, although this didn't figure in the specs on the Panasonic website at the time of purchase and I took the Promise of the HDR upgrade to mean that it would be supportive of any HDR content).

The TV is not compatible with 10bit HDR being output from a PS4 pro (PS4 states only 2k HDR supported by the TV) and it doesn't support Netflix HDR for presumably the same reason?

I feel as if the forward compatibility of the TV in terms of HDR support was misrepresented at the time of purchase. Panasonic's response (from their MD) is that "a 10 bit signal doesn't necessarily need a 10 bit panel to display it" and have dismissed my grievance. It's worth noting that the HDR upgrade came after the HDR standard (ultra HD premium) had been baselined and at no point did Panasonic specify it was only a partial upgrade.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on whether this is a reasonable response and whether anyone else has similar issues?

thank you

Tell Richers and swap ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts