Image issues on the Panasonic TX-P50GT60B

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone experienced any image issues with their Panasonic TX-P50GT60B?

Friend bought the GT60 & noted image movement issues - things he nor I have ever seen before. Examples include a scene in Star Trek where the bright white light panel on the ship creates blue & yellow images on the screen when you move your head (in effect, pan across the image). Also, on Eagle Eye there is a scene about 15 mins in where Shia LaBeouf goes in to a corridor & slouches on the floor - the 'light' coming through his legs/floor blurs creating a large white triangle. Worse is when there are moving panning shots - the background image appears to blur as if the image can't refresh quick enough.

Apologies for the vaguness of the comment - he's had an ISF guy out who said he couldn't see anything & reported back to the shop saying so!! (Hard to believe) & Panasonic haven't been great in the past for resolving product issues (he's awaiting there call).

Kind regards,

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
bjd2772 said:
Has anyone experienced any image issues with their Panasonic TX-P50GT60B?

Friend bought the GT60 & noted image movement issues - things he nor I have ever seen before. Examples include a scene in Star Trek where the bright white light panel on the ship creates blue & yellow images on the screen when you move your head (in effect, pan across the image). Also, on Eagle Eye there is a scene about 15 mins in where Shia LaBeouf goes in to a corridor & slouches on the floor - the 'light' coming through his legs/floor blurs creating a large white triangle. Worse is when there are moving panning shots - the background image appears to blur as if the image can't refresh quick enough.

Apologies for the vaguness of the comment - he's had an ISF guy out who said he couldn't see anything & reported back to the shop saying so!! (Hard to believe) & Panasonic haven't been great in the past for resolving product issues (he's awaiting there call).

Kind regards,

i feel for him. I have a problem with my gt50 I'm trying to get sorted out after being told its fine!

ive not seen or heard of the problem your reporting though. Do you know which setting your friend is using, thx, cinema, normal etc (does it do the same thing on all of them?)

also what is the IFC setting set to?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Some of what you report sounds like dithering noise. This is inherent to plasma technology. For some this is less distracting than LCD/LED TV motion blur. Others can't get along with plasma motion anomalies. There is no right or wrong in this equation. You have to decide which motion issues prove less distracting for you.

Other issues you describe might be related to settings. Can you advise how your TV is set up? Are you watching, for instance, using the Dynamic preset, or with an unusually high contrast setting? Have you engaged motion processing (Intelligent Frame Creation on the GT60)?

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi there. Not sure - it was on THX until he had it ISF calibrated (at no small cost), which is the bizarre thing, that we can all see it but the calibrator couldn't state there was anything exceptional!?! I'll ask about the IFC & post later.

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks strapped for cash.

IFC is set to minimum with ISF calibrated night/day modes. The issue arises irrespective of modes set. And he's now had to write another email to Panasonic after having had no response from them. The calibration was done in the hope that the issues would either be eradicated or so the calibrator would spot the issue & report back to the shop. Alas no joy with either.

I presume no one else has any similar problems?

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks strapped for cash.

IFC is set to minimum with ISF calibrated night/day modes. The issue arises irrespective of modes set. And he's now had to write another email to Panasonic after having had no response from them. The calibration was done in the hope that the issues would either be eradicated or so the calibrator would spot the issue & report back to the shop. Alas no joy with either.

I presume no one else has any similar problems?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Can you advise who performed the calibration? It'd useful to get some idea of the settings, not the detailed white balance and colour management settings, just the basics, i.e. brightness, contrast, colour and sharpness.

Toggling IFC between the Min and Off settings might help. Panasonic don't lead the field in terms of 50Hz motion, so broadcast content can reveal certain peculiarities.

It sounds like the calibrator is affiliated with the retailer and might therefore have a vested interest in the TV not being returned.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi, i've gotta 50gt60b, i take it you were watching a bluray source?

ive noticed with mine the better the source the less (if any) issues and the lower the contrast the least issues.

for example contrast over 50 on mine while watching an sd image wont be too clever, in terms of skin tones with green/yellow splotches, whereas reduce the contrast to 40 and under and its watchable, much less visable, i have the same issues with sky hd to a lesser degree and not really any issues with bluray or 1080p mkv's.

whats the basic brightness/contrast etc? if i set the contrast to 60 and over then sky hd dosnt look to clever either, i try to tone it all down i think my contrast is 42 and brightness 11, sharpness 0, colour temp - normal, tint 0.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
@ Bjd2772

To start with you really should be speaking directly with your retailer and getting them to inspect the goods -
and see how amenable they are to replacing the unit.

You should also think to switch VIERA LINK off - this can upset some non Panasonic sources.

It's a waste of time writing or emailing to Panasonic UK. Unless its a widespread problem affecting many
owners they don't care. :roll:
Should you be "lucky" enough to get a Panasonic engineer out - more than likely
they will claim it to be "within specification" - this is their catch all for doing sweet F.A.

If this is something that you really can't live with, find a repair company or another TV reseller to confirm
your problem by way of an independant report. Then you can use said to present small claims action
against your retailer.

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi j4mm3r - its definiyely not a source issue. When I went round he showed football (Sky HD), DVD (Star Trek) & various blu-rays (Eagle Eye, Oz the Great and Powerful, Red) to name a few samples with Contrast set relatively low (ISF-calibrated remember) & still motion issues & curious bluring were abound. But the oddest was definitley the yellow & blue images that appeared in the background with the Star Trek clip - frankly, I've never seen an image issue with an image (weel, colours at least) that aren't on the screen before.

He's just issues another email to the rather lacklustre Panasonic customer services dept. I'll keep you updated!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Bit late to this one but here's my opinion.

I've had plenty of dealings with Panasonic customer services through my many issues with my GT30 plasma and all the issues that arose with that set so first off I would say emailing is not a good idea. It takes at least a week for them to reply and in most cases as long as 10 days so only email them if it's something you can wait for a reply to ie something unimportant (a setting query for example). It's far better to ring them with a problem such as this and to get advice so do that and see if it's something they are aware of BUT...

In this situation the first thing that should be said is that as it's a GT60 it will be within the 1st year warranty and as such the responsibility lies with your friends retailer to deal with his issue, only if they can't/won't deal with his issue should he contact Panasonic or in the event that he is left unsatisfied with their attempt to do so. He should contact his retailer irrespective of what the calibrator said, he is not an engineer and as has been stated earlier could well have a vested interested if he is a part of the retailer. Get your friend to phone or pop into their retailer to talk over the issue and see what they say, I would expect an engineer to come out at the very least to have a look but try not to email as it's far better to talk to a human being.

It does sound to me that something isn't quite right as it happens across all sources and picture modes and it's worth getting it investigated at the very least as no such issue has been reported in any review of the set and there is no mention on other forums or with a simple google search of GT60 issues. As you are both picking up on the issue during particular scenes you will at least be able to replicate the issue easily if an engineer comes out to look at it and as such your friend should get a good indication of what's going on, wether it's an issue with plasma tech or an actual issue with the TV.

Fingers crossed you get some answers soon.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
Bit late to this one but here's my opinion.

I've had plenty of dealings with Panasonic customer services through my many issues with my GT30 plasma and all the issues that arose with that set so first off I would say emailing is not a good idea. It takes at least a week for them to reply and in most cases as long as 10 days so only email them if it's something you can wait for a reply to ie something unimportant (a setting query for example). It's far better to ring them with a problem such as this and to get advice so do that and see if it's something they are aware of BUT...

In this situation the first thing that should be said is that as it's a GT60 it will be within the 1st year warranty and as such the responsibility lies with your friends retailer to deal with his issue, only if they can't/won't deal with his issue should he contact Panasonic or in the event that he is left unsatisfied with their attempt to do so. He should contact his retailer irrespective of what the calibrator said, he is not an engineer and as has been stated earlier could well have a vested interested if he is a part of the retailer. Get your friend to phone or pop into their retailer to talk over the issue and see what they say, I would expect an engineer to come out at the very least to have a look but try not to email as it's far better to talk to a human being.

It does sound to me that something isn't quite right as it happens across all sources and picture modes and it's worth getting it investigated at the very least as no such issue has been reported in any review of the set and there is no mention on other forums or with a simple google search of GT60 issues. As you are both picking up on the issue during particular scenes you will at least be able to replicate the issue easily if an engineer comes out to look at it and as such your friend should get a good indication of what's going on, wether it's an issue with plasma tech or an actual issue with the TV.

Fingers crossed you get some answers soon.

agreed. Panasonic's support desk for email replies I's frankly unacceptable. There response to my image retention issue on my first gt50 was to stop using my ps3, even though I was getting it on all sources, even teletext, yes i still use teletext! I booked with retailer and I had high voltage settings.

dont waste your time with the help desk, contact the retailer and then if your not happy contact panasonic. When you phone up panasonic they probably won't do anything without an engineers report from the retailers approved panasonicrepairer

best of luck

Foofight

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello

My Panasonic GT50 was perfect until a few weeks ago , basically I have owned the set for 14 months and after running in had a full ISF / THX calibration done .

Sadly I started to notice the line bleed issue with horrendous image retention regardless of pre set . Panasonic were as much help as a chocolate teapot even stating at one point the 5 year warranty was void due to my calibration causing issues .

My set is now back with them and standard with model - plasma related issue seem to be the best they can come up with .

The local engineer from Panasonic did the panel reset and said " what's the problem " all in not amused :wall:

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
If its a gt50 and they have your unit still ask them to check the voltage settings. This was the problem on my first gt50

im not sure how a thx calibration can void a warranty as your amending the picture settings within the tv that are allowed to be amended. How did you pay for your tv and where did you buy it from. Unfortunately panasonic aren't the best for admitting there is a fault with there unit.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
im not sure how a thx calibration can void a warranty as your amending the picture settings within the tv that are allowed to be amended.

I agree entirely, though never underestimate Panasonic's capacity to class any issue that might cost money as "within specification."

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Foofight said:
Sadly I started to notice the line bleed issue with horrendous image retention regardless of pre set .

Line bleed is an unavoidable plasma side-effect. It's a shame, but it's one of the trade-offs when owning a plasma TV (i.e. you benefit from greater dynamic contrast, but you pay for this with issues such as line bleed and dynamic false contouring).

Image retention is a real pain, though problems in this regard should diminish as the TV ages. If you're still experiencing stubborn image retention after 14 months then something's wrong somewhere. This sounds like more legitimate reason for complaint.

Please let us know how you get on and what Panasonic say about your issue. There are a few GT50 owners on this forum that I'd imagine would be intrigued to hear of Panasonic's response.

Foofight

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
If its a gt50 and they have your unit still ask them to check the voltage settings. This was the problem on my first gt50

im not sure how a thx calibration can void a warranty as your amending the picture settings within the tv that are allowed to be amended. How did you pay for your tv and where did you buy it from. Unfortunately panasonic aren't the best for admitting there is a fault with there unit.

Hello

thank you for the advise , I have spoken to the Panasonic store I purchased the unit from and forwarded your comments . I am popping in tomorrow to speak with the manager as really I think the only solution is replacement or refund .

Its amazing the utter garbage these guys use to try to put the blame elsewhere - my favourite being " have you played video games on it "

Yes well a panel with game mode and quoted low latency Noooooooo of course not !,,,,,,,

Foofight

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Well that's that !

Panasonic conclude whilst screen uniformity issues are present , the picture quality is only degraded to a point which given age is within acceptable tolerance .

The screen retention issue is only lasting upto 15 minutes and within tolerance .

Panel is now traded in with Sony store against a W9 . I have taken a bit of a hit but at least I am still smiling

Bye bye Panasonic , sadly just not for me ! :hand:

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its the Panasonic problematic 50" - just buy a 55" + and you will be fine....... :)

Could never buy another LCD for my main TV now, I just couldnt do it....

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Foofight said:
Well that's that !

Panasonic conclude whilst screen uniformity issues are present , the picture quality is only degraded to a point which given age is within acceptable tolerance .

The screen retention issue is only lasting upto 15 minutes and within tolerance .

Panel is now traded in with Sony store against a W9 . I have taken a bit of a hit but at least I am still smiling

Bye bye Panasonic , sadly just not for me ! :hand:

sounds like the usual fob off to me! Panasonic should be rebranded to foboffonic :)

let us know what you think of the w9, it's a potential replacement for me should I ever get the chance to get my money back on my gt50

TRENDING THREADS