Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Radiohead

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I'm on my second panel (fitted last week) and it the banding is visible even on low contrast which is extremely irritating and poor for such a premium TV.

I also think the replacement panel fitted bt Gogglebox is more grainy than the original, even though it doesn't buzz so much when there is a lot of white displayed.

I will give it the benefit of the doubt for 200hrs on normal settings and if it still present I will return it for a refund.

I'm not happy to be spending this sort of money to have annoying and obvious visible artefacts spoiling the viewing experience.

D

Deleted member 2457

Radiohead said:
I'm on my second panel (fitted last week) and it the banding is visible even on low contrast which is extremely irritating and poor for such a premium TV.

I also think the replacement panel fitted bt Gogglebox is more grainy than the original, even though it doesn't buzz so much when there is a lot of white displayed.

I will give it the benefit of the doubt for 200hrs on normal settings and if it still present I will return it for a refund.

I'm not happy to be spending this sort of money to have annoying and obvious visible artefacts spoiling the viewing experience.

You got a replacement panel? I would have just got a replacement TV.

LanceyBoy

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I started this post at the start of the year when my initial purchase of a TX-P50GT50 had to go back for an exchange because of BSE, banding, whatever you want to call it - it clearly had a fault. My, at the time, local Panasonic store were very good. Since then the store has closed, and a few weeks ago my TV developed some more screen issues.

I'm not sure if it was screen burn, image retention or DSE again, but as it was still under the original 12 months warranty I contacted a sister store that is still trading and they put me onto Panasonic. This was quite painful as the young lady at the end of the line wanted me to upgrade the firmware, even though I had done this a few days earlier and it was telling me I was up to date.

Download to an SD card I was instructed, politely, so I dug out an SD card, found an adapter and downloaded. Waste of time as the TV is wall mounted and I can't get access to the SD card slot, unlike earlier models it's on the rear, not the side!

We gave up and I called the local service centre.

To cut a long story short they took the TV away with comments that it might return in a worse state, but less than a week later it's ready, has now been delivered and has had the PDP replaced. The picture is better than both the previous two TV's and is (at the moment) blemish free.:clap:

So, there are decent panels out there, if you are lucky. Third time lucky for me. Thankfully I now have another 4 or 5 years left on the warranty and hope any others eventually get rewarded for the pain of swapping over your TV.

I would still recommend this set despite the problems as the picture is stunning.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
LanceyBoy said:
I started this post at the start of the year when my initial purchase of a TX-P50GT50 had to go back for an exchange because of BSE, banding, whatever you want to call it - it clearly had a fault. My, at the time, local Panasonic store were very good. Since then the store has closed, and a few weeks ago my TV developed some more screen issues.

I'm not sure if it was screen burn, image retention or DSE again, but as it was still under the original 12 months warranty I contacted a sister store that is still trading and they put me onto Panasonic. This was quite painful as the young lady at the end of the line wanted me to upgrade the firmware, even though I had done this a few days earlier and it was telling me I was up to date.

Download to an SD card I was instructed, politely, so I dug out an SD card, found an adapter and downloaded. Waste of time as the TV is wall mounted and I can't get access to the SD card slot, unlike earlier models it's on the rear, not the side!

We gave up and I called the local service centre.

To cut a long story short they took the TV away with comments that it might return in a worse state, but less than a week later it's ready, has now been delivered and has had the PDP replaced. The picture is better than both the previous two TV's and is (at the moment) blemish free.:clap:

So, there are decent panels out there, if you are lucky. Third time lucky for me. Thankfully I now have another 4 or 5 years left on the warranty and hope any others eventually get rewarded for the pain of swapping over your TV.

I would still recommend this set despite the problems as the picture is stunning.

hi Lanceyboy,

Had a similar issue myself with horizontal banding with the VT50 series, fortunately the store I bought it from in Australia offered a replacement warranty that I got a good deal on. Ended up getting it replaced with the VT60. Touch wood, this one hasn't been so bad. Still some slight banding noticeable, but nowhere near as bad as before.

glad to hear the new panel has sorted it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts