Panasonic TX-P42V10 Freesat TV review now online

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well, we gave the TX-P42G10 the full five stars, as you can read here. Given that it's also £300 cheaper, and has a fine command of colour, contrast and detail even with Blu-ray, it would seem to be a better bet.

But it's bulkier than the V10, and the sound quality isn't as good. And it doesn't have the DLNA network connectivity/THX certification of the G10, if that's important to you.

A

Anonymous

Just to clarify are you saying that in your opinion the hd/blue-ray picture is better on the G10, I was thinking of buying this tv based on a review on another popular tv review site which was very positive about the v10 set particularly about THX mode, but I am starting to have doubts after reading your review!

A

Anonymous

Wales 25:
Just to clarify are you saying that in your opinion the hd/blue-ray picture is better on the G10, I was thinking of buying this tv based on a review on another popular tv review site which was very positive about the v10 set particularly about THX mode, but I am starting to have doubts after reading your review!

I have to say that I am disappointed at the quality of the What HiFi? reviews. No detail in there about how you reached the verdicts you did, no data to evidence that, and the comment about Warn Colour Temperature points towards a misunderstanding on the reviewers part. In the end it is just a completely subjective opinion piece with very little merit in my opinion. At least the other review out there doesn't go with subjective comment without some data and evidence to back it up and they are certified video calibration professionals.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
We reach our verdicts by living with a TV, exploring its set-up variables thoroughly and comparing it to similarly-priced rivals. The colour balance of the 42V10 is warm regardless of any menu-led trimming or adjustment and points to reviewer misunderstanding not at all.

I'm in no position to comment on other reviews as I've no idea how they are conducted, but I've every confidence in the editorial and professinal integrity of our highly experienced review team.

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:
The colour balance of the 42V10 is warm regardless of any menu-led trimming or adjustment and points to reviewer misunderstanding not at all.

Can you define warm and why you might be reaching that conclusion. Also, if you explored the set up thoroughly...isn't there an option in the menu system to adjust the colour balance. Finally, there is no mention of the THX preset and the fact that this is accurate for the first time on a Panasonic TV for the colour points and white balance. Is that even part of your testing process?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
David Fuller: I have to say that I am disappointed at the quality of the What HiFi? reviews. No detail in there about how you reached the verdicts you did, no data to evidence that, and the comment about Warn Colour Temperature points towards a misunderstanding on the reviewers part. In the end it is just a completely subjective opinion piece with very little merit in my opinion. At least the other review out there doesn't go with subjective comment without some data and evidence to back it up and they are certified video calibration professionals.

If you want reviews that give you pages and pages of "data" that are utterly meaningless to 99% of the population then stick with the magazines that give you that. Most people however are only interested in what the picture looks like and as for complaining that the reviews are subjective, errr yes, that's exactly what every single review ever written by anyone is, that reviewer's subjective opinion, what else can it be?

Oh and it didn't say "Warm Colour Temperature" it said "warm colour balance" which is a different thing entirely.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
Oh and it didn't say "Warm Colour Temperature" it said "warm colour balance" which is a different thing entirely.

Ok, explain that one to me then.........this should be interesting

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
David Fuller:Can you define warm and why you might be reaching that conclusion. Also, if you explored the set up thoroughly...isn't there an option in the menu system to adjust the colour balance. Finally, there is no mention of the THX preset and the fact that this is accurate for the first time on a Panasonic TV for the colour points and white balance. Is that even part of your testing process?

'Warm': tending towards yellow in bright white areas. As opposed to neutral/natural or 'cool' (blue). We reached that conclusion because the colour balance invariably tends towards the yellow.

There are a number of options in the set-up menus to adjust colour balance and none of them brought the Pana out of the realms of the warm.

The first paragraph of the review mentions the screen's THX picture certification. My post in the 'comments' section of the online review includes: "...it's the THX mode that we found suited Blu-ray pictures (though not Freesat images) best. It didn't make them as detailed as they could have been, though." So yes, it's part of our testing process.

Apologies if this is in any way confusing.

A

Anonymous

So is the hd/blue-ray picture better on the G10 in your opinion?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The difference isn't huge, but given that the G10 is £300 cheaper it scores higher on our performance-per-pound basis - ie its picture quality is up there with the best TVs at the same price level. It can occasionally struggle with very complex patterns, but that's the only minor criticism. Overall it handles HD/Blu-ray content extremely well.

As for the V10, let's get this in perspective. Our criticism of the Blu-ray picture said it was only a "slight" issue, the TV not quite retrieving as much detail as some rival £1500 screens do. Remember, four stars still means "very good, highly recommended". But if you don't need the extra features of the V10, we'd say go for the G10 and save yourself £300.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:I'm not trying to explain it, I'm just pointing out that you're criticising the review for something that it didn't actually say, which is a little unfair.

Actually if you knew anything about the subject you would know that Colour temperature and (white) Balance as the same thing.

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:
David Fuller:Can you define warm and why you might be reaching that conclusion. Also, if you explored the set up thoroughly...isn't there an option in the menu system to adjust the colour balance. Finally, there is no mention of the THX preset and the fact that this is accurate for the first time on a Panasonic TV for the colour points and white balance. Is that even part of your testing process?

'Warm': tending towards yellow in bright white areas. As opposed to neutral/natural or 'cool' (blue). We reached that conclusion because the colour balance invariably tends towards the yellow.

There are a number of options in the set-up menus to adjust colour balance and none of them brought the Pana out of the realms of the warm.

The first paragraph of the review mentions the screen's THX picture certification. My post in the 'comments' section of the online review includes: "...it's the THX mode that we found suited Blu-ray pictures (though not Freesat images) best. It didn't make them as detailed as they could have been, though." So yes, it's part of our testing process.

Apologies if this is in any way confusing.

Certainly not confusing. I just want to know what standards you are using to assess this TV (and your other reviews). When you mention it is warm, what are you actually looking to achieve as a picture result? ITU-R BT Rec.709 and D65 or are you going for personal preference in attaining a picture you like. Maybe you could explain what exactly you are using as a reference point? I only ask as your findings are very much the other side of the line from other assessments (more technical) of the same TV elsewhere.

(From your explaination it sounds like the TV was pretty accurate in terms of White level, but you didn't like that).

Oh and finally can you explain what exactly you didn't like about the Blu-ray quality? Sorry for all the questions.

A

Anonymous

So, is this worth buying or is my money better spent elsewhere?

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
so now the V10 and G10 have been tested, and asuming the 42PES001 is a bit out of some peoples range (assumption), of the current crop of sets, would you buy the G10 or UE4070290 or is one of the outgoing models like the W4500 a better bet???

It is certainly a difficult size of set to pick the best of. No real clear winner?

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
emotion-39.gif
I have to say i am not impressed with this review, it seems like it was rushed just get it out, you do even explain what you thought of the THX Mode against the normal mode with out THX, i personally think you could have done better IMO and compared to anther review of a 50in the detail and information given was excellent and made a great read.

You have tried to cram in everthing in a couple of paragraphs, you dont even give any indication of looks, maybe you should stick with HiFi. If this is the sort of review that will appear in the mag i will not be spending my money on the mag anymore i rather stand in smiths and browse through it for free.

cmf

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
come on whathifi

this is bad, where are all the details and results of your tests and calibrations.

I really dont get it, you say the philips 42pes0001 is the best you can recommend yet several other top quality reviewers are only giving the philips 4/5. why is it your results are so different and not consistant with other review sites?

A

Anonymous

given that the kuro isnt being made anymore , i think alot of people were hoping the v10 would fill its boots , maybe its not quite that good , but its a hotly anticipated tv , and , to be fair whfi , it surely deserves more than 3 short lines about its hd performance in your review ?? i think you guys are missing a trick here ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts