Panasonic TX-P42G10 Sharpness issue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi can anyone help? I've recently pruchased a Panasonic TX-P42G10 TV and in genral I'm very happy. However when I'm watching Sky from from standard sky+ box the programe guide seems fussy! When watching football the close up images of players are sharp but when the camera pulls out the image becomes slightly blurred again (Even when players are still). I dont think this is a motion blur issue. Has anybody else had this problem and did they do something in the set up to get over this problem? I dont think there is an issue with the TV as my Xbox360 is spot on, like wise the dvd player I have gives a very good picture. It just seems to be the sky broadcast that lets it down. By the way I'm sitting about 2.9 meters away from the set.

A

Anonymous

its well known that the g10s sd is better when an external device is doing the upscaling , (humax box , amp , etc) the sky + box outputs at 576p , ie , it doesnt upscale , this may be the reason sd isnt great , also , i find keeping the sharpness set to 0 gives a sharper picture with sd, sounds odd i know , but it works for me ..

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I've already tried sharpness on 0 as I've heard this helps but doesnt make much of a difference. Maybe I'll have to make do with a poor SD picture till next year and then invest in a sky HD player once more HD channels are available.

A

Anonymous

Hi Steve 77 I had a similar lack of sharpness initially with my 58V10 but after 3 weeks running and settling in the SD picture is now much better. Was told on this forum that plasmas sometimes need bed in time. Mine is now A1 in both SD and always has been on HD - Panasonic 58V10, Panasonic BDP80, Yamaha 1000 and Sky HD box.

Regards Brook

A

Anonymous

Might invest in some THX glasses as I have the set up page on a Star wars DVD!

A

Anonymous

I'll see what the picture is like in a few weeks time, Thanks Brook

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi. I own a 42" G10. For running in purposes, try contrast at around 50%, brightness at 45%, colour around 50%. After about a month you can up the contrast level to about 65%. I have my sharpness level set to one click from full (that's 9 clicks from the left, or lowest setting). set colour temp to warm and make sure you have all the picture processing stuff turned off -- DNR/Colour Managemnet/Eco Mode/Inteligent Frame Creation.

Give it some time (and make sure you don't use any of the so-called picture 'enhancing' features) and I'm sure you'll be good...
emotion-1.gif

cobb007

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
may sound a silly question but is you sky plus box set to rgb in the picture options as this and a good scart lead can make the world of difference. also keep the sharpness up at least 3/4 of the way.

EMcG

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have the TX-L37G10 (an LCD not Plasma as you have). I have found that turning the '3-D Comb' on in one of the TVs menus (don't know which one off the top of my head) really helps with the sharpness. Not sure if the P42G10 has this facility too. But if it has give it a go.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
You can tinker with the picture all you like, but the fundamental problem is that football in SD is very poor. Match of the Day is bad, but ITV is often well-nigh unwatchable. It was revealed recently on this board that the ITV West Country bit-rate is higher, so you could try that.

A

Anonymous

Hi, sky is set to RGB and I'm using a decent scart, thanks for the imput anyway.

A

Anonymous

I actually had the TV swapped this morning as last night the set had a problem. I had a vertical line appear. Apprantly this can happen with plasmas!!! Well seeing I only got the set on Sunday they came out collected it and swapped it over and the service guy set up the tv. He's got the same tv and set it up like his. Hopefully I shouldn't have any more problems.

Just like to say 2 thumbs up for the Panasonic centre in Exeter. Reported the problem at 9am new tv delivered and installed by 10.30am.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Steve

The sharpness issue on Sky+ is a common one as the picture that is output from Sky is the 576 line like everyone has quoted on your thread, this is the main problem as the G10 is Full HD and a normal Sky+ box is not using the maximum lines available on your tv, also ive had Sky+ before i upgraded to Sky+ HD, when i had normal Sky like you, the picture was not as good as Freeview on the normal channels, you will find that if you give it a go, in general Sky isnt a very good picture and its well known for that when you connect to a Full HD television unless you go Sky+ HD, which is what i ended up doing as i was not impressed with the quality.

The G10 will settle in better after a fair bit of viewing and the image should get more defined and sharper but i still think that its not going to improve normal Sky unless you plunge into HD.

Regards> M

A

Anonymous

I'm going to connect up the built in freesat hd on the weekend, and then see what match of the day looks like in hd!

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a 42" Pany ( PZ85) and upgraded from a standard SKY box to a HD box when I moved house a few months ago. The hdmi connection on the HD box makes a big difference over RGB scart on the old bog standard box. SD looks sharper with less picture noise and the HD channels look fantastic.

EDIT: The picture quality on my tv improved after the 1st 50 hours or so, make sure to set it up with the THX optimizer.... makes a big difference from the factory settings. You may need to re-tweak the brightness/contrast after the 1st 50-100 hours.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to disappoint you, Steve. Match of the Day isn't on BBC HD and you will still only be able to watch in SD. It sounds like you need Sky+HD to really enjoy sport on your new TV.

A

Anonymous

So I found out on Saturday
emotion-9.gif
However pleased to find out Top Gear was last night
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts