Panasonic TH42PZ81B, PZ85B or PZ80B?

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Hello

I am ready to go down the HD route, though have been happy with my Panasonic PD30, and months of blagging my girlfriend to buy a new TV instaed of a holiday.

Right the above models are the ones that i'm intrested in and can afford.

HD Content will be Virgin HD, and i dont really wish to go down the bluray route just yet, waiting to see if it actually sells here properly, so SD upscaled is my choice viewing. Xbox 360 is my gaming side.

I prefer to get a Plasma instead of a LCD, and would be happy for recommendations on the above please.

Will WHFI review the 42PZ81B and PZ85B?? Just i've noticed that they have been out since March-May this year

many thanks

Garth

A

Anonymous

I like you are about to get a new Panasonic plasma. And the "which is best" over the PZ80/PZ81/PZ85 and even the PZ800 rumbles on. I have been doing a lot of viewings over these models and have come up with the following.

PZ800 - Is only as good as the PZ85 which I feel offers the best SD and HD picture quality (PQ) that you can get from Panasonic. The sound is very good but you have to pay a premium of around £1,150 for this model. But the appearance of this plasma is of class and expense.

PZ85- Is as it stands the plasma I am aiming to get as the picture is outstanding. It is also a lot better looking than the PZ80/PZ81 in appearance. The sound from it is also good and you can find it for around £850.

PZ81 - Is a great all round plasma and the picture is good but not as good as the models above. The sound is ok and it has the new Freesat tuner which if you like me is not that important. But I do feel the overall look of this model as in apperance wise looks a little old and boring. You can find this model around £750 with a bit of searching etc.

PZ80 - Is as good as the PZ81 but has a silver plate added to make the appearance more modern and expensive. But I believe that both the PZ80/PZ81 can be found with this appearance. This model can be found around £700 and is the model I would pick over the PZ81.

I would love What Hifi to get all four models reviewed against each other. And I would also like to see how the PZ800/PZ85 does against the Sony 4500 (blacks to grey for me). And how they (85/800) would rate again "God's plasma" the fantastic 50" Pioneer to show for a £1,000 plus less you can get a great PQ!

Andy.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Excellant, thank you for your respomse.

Does the PZ85 have Deep Coulour?? if so what is this technology?

I noticed that the PZ800 has this

cheers

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't think there's anything that supports deep colour yet but it surely can't harm to have the facility as and when.

No, the panasonics, as good as they are, do not compare to the Kuros'es which are superior in every respect from colour reproduction, contrast, brightness, black levels to detail and motion handling. You would expect that for the price difference.

Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts