Panasonic Plasma - HD-Ready or Full HD?

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I’m after some help in choosing a TV. I’ve decided on a 42-inch plasma from Panasonic’s 2008 range, but can’t decide whether to go HD-ready or full HD (i.e. TH42PX80B or TH42PZ85B).

Initially, I’d be using it with a Virgin V+ box (or Sky HD if I decide to switch, which is likely), a Samsung HD-870 upscaling DVD player and a Wii console.

My understanding is that none of these devices currently do full HD, so the extra cash for a full HD TV would not be justified – is that correct?

If so, the TH42PX80B would seem to be the set to go for. However, I don’t want to get two years down the line and find that full HD sources have become commonplace and affordable, and my TV is then preventing me from getting the best possible picture quality because it is not full HD.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Cass"]
I'm after some help in choosing a TV. I've decided on a 42-inch plasma from Panasonic's 2008 range, but can't decide whether to go HD-ready or full HD (i.e. TH42PX80B or TH42PZ85B).

Initially, I'd be using it with a Virgin V+ box (or Sky HD if I decide to switch, which is likely), a Samsung HD-870 upscaling DVD player and a Wii console.

My understanding is that none of these devices currently do full HD, so the extra cash for a full HD TV would not be justified - is that correct?

If so, the TH42PX80B would seem to be the set to go for. However, I don't want to get two years down the line and find that full HD sources have become commonplace and affordable, and my TV is then preventing me from getting the best possible picture quality because it is not full HD.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[/quote]

I would go for the full HD model. I'm trying to decide between the 37 inch 80B (not full HD) and the 42 inch 85B, but the issue I have is space. I did a side by side comparison with them yesterday using a 1080p blu ray input. They both produced stunning pictures but the full HD definately had the edge. Once you know the potential of the 85B you'll soon be saving your pennies for an 1080p input source. I'm just trying to persuade my partner to let me knock down a wall.

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
That's the issue that concerns me, though - I'm increasingly getting the impression that full HD will only be available through Blu-ray or HD-DVD. I'm not a great DVD watcher, my source is the V+ box 99% of the time and I don't see that changing significantly. If (as I've heard) Virgin/Sky are unlikely to broadcast in full HD in the near future, will a full HD TV be any better for me than HD-ready?

A

Anonymous

I had this same choice and chose the HD ready. Mainly because for now SD-TV on FULL HD will be even more degraded as more upscaling to do. However I do watch a LOT of SD DVDs which will look better upscaled to 'just' HD ready and not all the way up to full. I am not going the blu-ray route just yet. I also have SKY HD but as they don't braodcast in full HD I figured I could get 5 years on this. I am delighted with my 42PX80 and it just looks so good with HD and upscaled DVDs. :) JJ

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
I guess it's a case of deciding what you are going to watch most and compromising accordingly. Now that the DVD rental outlets like "Lovefilm" are starting to add blu ray to their stock, if you watch a lot of rented films then full HD is the route to go, but accepting that the upscaled SD broadcasts may be a little bit more degraded. If you are going to watch mainly SD material and Sky resolution HD then HD ready may well be the best option for now. (By the time I actually get round to making a decision there will probly be yet another format on offer!)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]Mmm, I can't see high-def broadcasts going to Full HD for quite some time (in the UK anyway), so if TV is your thing, HD Ready is the way to go.[/quote]

Totally agree, I can't see the point of full HD at the moment because there is just not enough material available to watch. What is more, Full HD TV's can make SD look worse in some cases. I would, and I am about to buy HD ready, which will last for then next 5-10 years. (hopefully) By which time we will see if HD has made it's mark.

Oh, and the price of full HD TV's will be much less then.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Our current TV product of the Year - the Pioneer PDP-428XD - is HD
Ready rather than Full HD. The Panasonics at that size/spec are superb, too - don't fret about spec, as these HD Ready sets fully support 1080p, so you've got futureproofing.

A

Anonymous

I'm completely new to this forum but am also confused about the whether to go for HD Ready or Full HD. You say that the Panasonic sets support 1080p, why are these not Full HD?[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
ÿOur current TV product of the Year - the Pioneer PDP-428XD - is HD
Ready rather than Full HD. The Panasonics at that size/spec are superb, too - don't fret about spec, as these HD Ready sets fully support 1080p, so you've got futureproofing.

[/quote]

I'm completely new to this forum but am also confused about the whether to go for HD Ready or Full HD. You say that the Panasonic sets support 1080p, why are these not Full HD?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, one step back. All Panasonics with an 'X' in the model name are HD Ready, all with a 'Z' are Full HD spec.

All the 'Z' models have a 1920x1080 resolution and are able to show 1080p content in its native resolution. However, the lower-resolution 'X' sets can also accept 1080p signals and downscale them to suit.

TRENDING THREADS