Panasonic DMP-BD50

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I went into a dealer yesterday to inquire as to whether they had stock, which they didn't. I was told after the owner had phoned his Panasonic rep. that this model is now discontinued to be replaced by the BD55. I've seen this model on the US website but the UK website still has the BD50 as a new model.

Can you please confirm the current situation and also do you have any info on the new model; i.e. price, release date (October/November?) and whether to simply try and find the BD50.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've got a Panasonic DMP-BD55 in for test. It'll definitely be in shops by mid-October (if not before), and we've been given a guideline price of @£400.

A

Anonymous

Interesting - I thought that the BD50 had only recently come out. Is it now being replaced/upgraded? What sort of features does the BD55 offer over and above the BD50? I've just ordered a BD50 and am waiting for stock. Just wondering if I should cancel my order and wait for the BD55.

A

Anonymous

If I were you (and I was thinking of getting the BD50) I'd put the purchase off til the BD55 and the Sony BDPS550 have been tested. I take it you were going to use a seperate upscaling DVD player rather than the BD50?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, we were all surprised by the Panasonic DMP-BD30 and DMP-BD50 being replaced so quickly by the DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55, but that's the fast-paced nature of the consumer electronics market, and Pana didn't want to be outpointed by newer rival models.

The 35 and 55 are Profile 2.0 players and have had an all-round upgrade inside. The DMP-BD35 is a clear step up from the DMP-BD30 - still testing the DMP-BD55 to see how that fares both against the BD50 and its newer rivals - including the Sony S550, if it ever arrives... (latest rumoured arrival date next Monday).

A

Anonymous

this does make me cross, given I've owned my BD50 for less than a week! The panasonic dealer failed to mention that there was a new model out imminently.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Given the state of Panasonic's website and their apparent lack of internal communication, he might not have known!
In all seriousness though, it is annoying, I got my 16Gb iPod Touch two weeks before the 32Gb model came out - at the end of the day though, I'm very happy with it. As long as you're happy with the BD50, at least that's something.

A

Anonymous

Quite agree with your comments - I've had my BD50 for just over a month now and to find out in this forum it's already replaced makes me so angry!!! I've also had support issues with it which is not too good!

Hope the BD55 turns out to be worse than it's predecessor just out of spite!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts