Panasonic CD stereo system SA-PM17

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I remember my brother asking why amps didn't show yo how loud the music was at a given setting. Took me a few seconds to twig that it's because speakers have different sensitivities, and the hifi doesn't know how sensitive your speakers are, and therefore how loud they will be at a given level of power.

So b4u2, the display is just telling you how much additional 'volume' you have left. If that doesn't make sense, then I really wouldn't worry about it any more!

Reactions: Gray

b4u2

Dec 5, 2021
Visit site
Also something interesting is that after I switch off the mains power it turns back on after a few seconds and I don't know why?

D

Deleted member 108165

Also something interesting is that after I switch off the mains power it turns back on after a few seconds and I don't know why?
Might be the reason why it was for sale secondhand :unsure:

As Gray states above Panasonic are ok at what they do, their Technics brand is where real hi-fi is, especially their premium range kit. Your little system was probably around £300 when it came out, as marker for you some people on here would spend that kind of money on cables, and more. Just enjoy it for what it is (y)

I’ll take a punt…

Essentially, what we call ’volume controls’ are actually attenuators. So instead of thinking we put more power through by turning UP the volume, it’s strictly the opposite. The attenuator reduces the maximum output DOWN to the comfortable level we choose to listen at. That’s why Panasonic label it that way.

If you were as ancient as me, and remembered recording on tape or cassette, you would find recording level meters. Maximum level is 0dB. Beyond that the tape starts to overload. So you record, say, at -3dB, that is minus 3dB, or below the maximum.

It’s much the same with your Panasonic. Though I’d not recommend trying it, flat out is 0dB, so minus 20dB is still quite loud. Minus 40dB is yet quieter, and so on.

I’ve had several amplifiers in the past with such an arrangement. Zero volume is typically marked, minus infinity (I don’t have that symbol on my keypad!) but don’t ask me to explain!

I’ll take a punt…

Essentially, what we call ’volume controls’ are actually attenuators. So instead of thinking we put more power through by turning UP the volume, it’s strictly the opposite. The attenuator reduces the maximum output DOWN to the comfortable level we choose to listen at. That’s why Panasonic label it that way.

If you were as ancient as me, and remembered recording on tape or cassette, you would find recording level meters. Maximum level is 0dB. Beyond that the tape starts to overload. So you record, say, at -3dB, that is minus 3dB, or below the maximum.

It’s much the same with your Panasonic. Though I’d not recommend trying it, flat out is 0dB, so minus 20dB is still quite loud. Minus 40dB is yet quieter, and so on.

I’ve had several amplifiers in the past with such an arrangement. Zero volume is typically marked, minus infinity (I don’t have that symbol on my keypad!) but don’t ask me to explain!
the only amp I have had for a good while with dB volume is my Sony A/V amp.

Gray

What is a better quality and sound between Panasonic vs Philips for hifi ?
It's fair to say that, now at least, neither brand would be most people's first choice for audio.
My first proper turntable was a good one from Philips. And my first CD player was a Philips (Philips and Sony jointly invented CD).
Philips also make the (well-liked) Fidelio headphone range.
Be interesting to see if anyone knows of any notable audio product from Panasonic (as opposed to Technics).

b4u2

Dec 5, 2021
Visit site
It's fair to say that, now at least, neither brand would be most people's first choice for audio.
My first proper turntable was a good one from Philips. And my first CD player was a Philips (Philips and Sony jointly invented CD).
Philips also make the (well-liked) Fidelio headphone range.
Be interesting to see if anyone knows of any notable audio product from Panasonic (as opposed to Technics).
ye mine:smiley:

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts