Panasonic 46Z1 or 50V20?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I can get either of these sets for about the same price. Which would offer the best PQ? Not being a videophile, I could stand looking at these side by side all day and not know which one provided the most accurate picture.

Did the Z1 have any known issues with black levels rising?

Perhaps someone at WHF might have some views on this seeing as you've reviewed both?

I don't think WHF staff have noticed any issues of black levels rising with Panasonic TVs.

As far as I'm aware, last year's models including the Z1 were affected. Panasonic have said that they've made some changes in this year's models to address the issue, but no word on whether the problem has been totally eliminated. No reports so far that I have found.

Personally, I would go for the 50V20 - 2010 model, bigger screen & WHF best buy.
emotion-21.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I posted a link earlier with an official statement from Panasonic admitting black level rises ARE present on 2010 models. It was moderated away so I can't go into details, suffice to say black levels are still OK on those models. The VT25 will go from around 0.004ftl to 0.007ftl - so almost doubling but still very decent, the G20 will go from 0.007 to 0.014ftl, again good but about in line with the budget LG Plasma's this year. This is after about 2000 hours or so of use.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comments guys.

Was tempted by the 'bargain' price of the Z1, the design and wireless capability. However, if the V20's picture is more accurate then that's what I'd probably go for. Also had a look at the Samsung 46C8000 but preferred the more natural look of the Panasonic. Haven't seen the Sony 46HX903 but again I prefer the natural images of the Panasonic to the Sony LCD's I've seen. Also, from what I've read the Samsung betters the Sony for 2D PQ with the Panasonic better again.

However, I am aware of some of the reported problems with the V20 which makes me think I might be better waiting a few months for the 2011 Panasonic plasmas.

Now if only Panasonic could release a range of plasmas with the beautiful design of the Samsung, the wireless capability of the Z1 and the PQ of the V20 without the problems.........

A

Anonymous

pejwright:

Now if only Panasonic could release a range of plasmas with the beautiful design of the Samsung, the wireless capability of the Z1 and the PQ of the V20 without the problems.........

I'm with you on this one, the current panasonic design is looking seriously dated (i know thats slightly superficial) but theres just too much bulk to them compared to samsungs and even LG sets are looking really nice! Picture wise whenever i see them in stores they look stunning, if only there wasnt any problems......come on panasonic i reckon next years black levels could be reference level, get them fault free and with a 2011 contemporary design (not 1990's) and u've got my hard earned money!!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
tunasteak:...come on panasonic i reckon next years black levels could be reference level, get them fault free and with a 2011 contemporary design (not 1990's) and u've got my hard earned money!!
DHYB!
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts