Pairing bookshelf speakers with a pc

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to check out my post.​

I'd like to invest in a pair of bookshelf speakers circa the £500.00 mark.

Since I brought my first pair of audiophile quality headphones (some 6 years ago) I was transported into the realms of 'omg I can hear things in my favourite songs i've never heard before' and the quality of sound began to really matter to me...

I've recently upgraded my pc and part of the bundle included a soundcard - the soundcard is the Creative Sound Blaster ZXR (http://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-zxr) ... unfortunately, this is where my audiophile knowledge falls short and was hoping for some advice.

​I'm hoping I can stream to my speakers if I decide to disconnect them from my pc but mostly they'll be used for watching movies, gaming and listening to muscic on my pc.. do I:

1) Need to invest in a DAC / Amp as well? If so - i'll need to revise my budget to incorporate that

2) Connect to Optical? USB? Headphone? for what is considered 'the best sound quality'

One thing which does concern me is noise from the speakers if they are idle and I'm working on the pc...

Your suggestions / advice for a set of speakers and the points above will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance - Ollie the noobie audiophile.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Oliver Thorpe said:
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to check out my post.​

I'd like to invest in a pair of bookshelf speakers circa the £500.00 mark.

Since I brought my first pair of audiophile quality headphones (some 6 years ago) I was transported into the realms of 'omg I can hear things in my favourite songs i've never heard before' and the quality of sound began to really matter to me...

I've recently upgraded my pc and part of the bundle included a soundcard - the soundcard is the Creative Sound Blaster ZXR (http://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-zxr) ... unfortunately, this is where my audiophile knowledge falls short and was hoping for some advice.

​I'm hoping I can stream to my speakers if I decide to disconnect them from my pc but mostly they'll be used for watching movies, gaming and listening to muscic on my pc.. do I:

1) Need to invest in a DAC / Amp as well? If so - i'll need to revise my budget to incorporate that

2) Connect to Optical? USB? Headphone? for what is considered 'the best sound quality'

One thing which does concern me is noise from the speakers if they are idle and I'm working on the pc...

Your suggestions / advice for a set of speakers and the points above will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance - Ollie the noobie audiophile.

Quad 9AS - a bit over budget but DAC included so connect via USB and bypass the soundcard. Or some other powered/active speaker with in built DAC. Personally I'd not bother with a soundcard, virtually all mainstream motherboards these days have reasonably decent onboard DACS. You could whip out the Soundblaster and ebay it.

Oh and don't forget the audiophile SATA cables - around £300 I believe... (Joking)

Noise from the speakers? Turn them off when not in use.

Gray

By the sound of it you will probably taking the active speaker option Ollie, but you did mention possible DAC and amp.

If you did find you need some good passive bookshelf speakers, see what you think of Kef Q100 (haven't heard them myself but a couple of posters here and many users have praised them)

There's a pair of brand new Q100s in the reader classifieds in the current Hi-Fi Choice magazine (the mag with the Audiolab M-DAC+ on the cover)

I Know the person selling them and they are an unwanted prize still in the factory sealed box.

At £300 they are £100 below retail but that would not leave you much budget for separate DAC / amp.

However, you may then be able to stretch to something like the Marantz PM6005 amplifier which is currently on offer at Sevenoaks for £249 (down from £399) This has a DAC built in for its Coaxial and Optical digital inputs.

Just some budget bargain ideas that may be worthing considering - good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts