Ortofon speaker cable

Vizzage

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Morning all;

I posted a question earlier but nobody answered it. I've got a set of 2 Tellurium QB cables and a set of Ortofon SPK 300 cables. And I want to bi-wire (not bi-amp - well I want to do that too but haven't got any money). I was thinking I should not have both TQ's on one side and both SPK300s on the other. I should balance it. So I've currently got, on each channel, the TQs to the bass and the SPK300s to the treble. Opinions please? Also does anyone know how much the ortofon's are worth? Is it any good? I see there's some Ortofon SPK200 going cheap on ebay at the moment.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I see in Japan that it retails for a bit over 6000 yen (so probably between 40-45 pounds) for a 2.5 metre set. I've seen it around but heard nothing about it.

Why not give it a go and see which sound better on the bass and which sound better on the treble. If from your own experience one has better bass, I'd go with that for the bass. Same goes for the treble.

i agree with ID. The chances of anyone here having heard such an odd combination is vanishingly small. Just try it with what you have. Or better still, get a matching set.

Have you tried single wiring with cable links, per the other eecent thread here?

Vizzage

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes, that's what I had before. Ok. I have something to report, and this is me, a total sceptic when it comes to tweaking, and furthermore being a slightly deaf scientist.

1) Originally I had Tellurium Q Black into the bass terminals, with jumper plates installed.

2) Then I put red into treble and black into bass (with jumper leads deployed obviously), no difference whatsoever lol

3) Then I bi-wired; TQBs into bass, Ortofon SPK300s into treble. Took ages to wire up so didn't notice a difference.

4) Then just for fun I tried TQBs into treble, SPK into bass. That was a quick change, just at the speaker. Wow. The treble was sweeter. But I lost bass. Definitely. No question. I flip flopped between 3 and 4 to make sure.

5) Then I put TQB back into bass and SPK into treble and put the jumper plates back in (it's only bi-wired not b-amped!). The sound got better again.

6) then, with jumpers in, and TQB into bass, I merely touched the SPKs onto the terminals so I could touch them on and off (being careful not to touch them together OBVIOUSLY)!! It is absolutely clear that the sound dulled with the SPKs on. Even my daughter could hear it and she didn't know when I was contacting or not. But she got it right every time. It was the sibilance of the cymbals that disappeared.

Conclusion: the SPKs are damaging the sound, whether carrying a signal direct to an isolated speaker (bass or treble), or even in parallel with the TQBs. Even though that should be lowering the resistance, they b*ugger up the sound. In other words, they are worse cables than the TBQs. So now Ive got it set up with TQBs and jumper plates.

Does anyone want to buy a nice set of Ortofon SPK300 cables with gold plated plugs?

Vizzage

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Yep :) honestly though I really thought it was nonsense, this cable talk - I'd always been perfectly content with qed 79 strand and some monster stuff before, and changed to tellurium Q simultaneously with a new amp and never dreamt the cable would actually be contributing but there you are. Bonkers. But definitely better.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
This is why I joined this forum. To hear of other's experiences of trying different cable, stands, isolation pads etc etc. I'm all for these so called "black arts". Can't understand why some folk are so vocal about this stuff being a pointless waste of time?!

p_m_brown said:
This is why I joined this forum. To hear of other's experiences of trying different cable, stands, isolation pads etc etc. I'm all for these so called "black arts". Can't understand why some folk are so vocal about this stuff being a pointless waste of time?!

...it's because they are blinded by science and don't trust their ears!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts