Ortofon m2 black sibilance cartridge or stylus? or something else

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for that tip I will have a look at those cartridges would you rate these above Ortofon cartridges?
I have no clue, I haven't owned a turntable since 1991!
I'm just thinking that typically ,the manufacturer is going to at least install something that makes the deck sound decent?
They appear to have originally chosen the Pick It 2M silver for your deck (which was was an Ortofon OEM product).
But at least now you know that you don't need to spend £500 for a new stylus!
The replacement stylus for many cartridges often costs almost as much as the cartridge/stylus did when new.
It's kinda like the ink for a printer... they basically give you the printer for free as they know that they will make up the money from selling you ink over time.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
The Sumiko cartridges are only installed on US Project turntables simply because they are manufactured in the States not because they are better than the Ortofons. Standard cartridges on European decks are Ortofon.
I wasn't suggesting that they were better. It's just a potential option as they are used as OEM and I don't think Pro-Ject is going to put junk on a $1,000 TT. Perhaps they are not easily available in the UK... I wouldn't know.
It seems that Sumiko (sounds Japanese to me) is now part of the McIntosh Group of companies and this is an interesting article about Sumiko's founder:

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Sumiko / Project share the same importer in the USA
Project design & factory fit ortofon for the rest of the world 2+ million cartridges
Sumiko are brand labelled by OEM Excel in japan , 100s of suppliers of cartridges by all make by 5 OEMs
Gotcha... thanks, even though you lost me in the second line.
"Sumiko are brand labelled by OEM Excel in japan , 100s of suppliers of cartridges by all make by 5 OEMs"

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
The Sumiko cartridges are only installed on US Project turntables simply because they are manufactured in the States not because they are better than the Ortofons. Standard cartridges on European decks are Ortofon.
PS All Sumiko cartridges are manufactured in Japan, as the name would suggest.
Both the Moonstone and the Rainier seem to be well reviewed by the Hi Fi press, including WHF.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
To my surprise, Sumiko are now listed on Henley’s website fitted to some newer Pro-ject turntables priced in £.

To my surprise, the McIntosh Group owns Sonus faber. The McIntosh Group are ultimately owned by a Dallas based equity firm called Highlander Partners.
Global business networks are indeed a complex web of connections!
Sumiko (a McIntosh company) distributes the 'Fine Sounds' portfolio into the USA and 'Fine Sounds UK' imports McIntosh, Sonus faber, and Bassocontinuo for the U.K. market.

Reactions: nopiano

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Anyway, I'm more interested to know what the OP has decided on doing with his sibilance problem. New cartridge or just replace the Ortofon stylus?
Right its still a work in progress if I can get over to richer sounds in Cheltenham tomorrow they have the Ortofon Blue all the AT's ive been looking at and the Sumiko cartridges in stock so Im up for blowing around £150 ish on a new stylus /cartridge

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Right its still a work in progress if I can get over to richer sounds in Cheltenham tomorrow they have the Ortofon Blue all the AT's ive been looking at and the Sumiko cartridges in stock so Im up for blowing around £150 ish on a new stylus /cartridge
Are you going to take the tt with you so that they can 'expertly' fit whatever you decide to buy?
Do they even offer such a service?

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
The other thing I thought of doing was plugging in an old Rega Mira amp I have to see if I could hear the same issue with that . One of the speaker connections get a bit crackly when its warm but it does work mostly.

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Are you going to take the tt with you so that they can 'expertly' fit whatever you decide to buy?
Do they even offer such a service?
Probably not ive ordered a few other things to help me set it up like an Azimuth Ruler Cartridge scales etc im an Auto engineer by trade so I should be able to sort it I have set up cartridges a few times but if I get into trouble ill take it Richer sounds or Audio T and get then to sort it.

Reactions: DougK1

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
It's your money, but I think your stylus is due for replacement after 4 1/2 years/900 hours!
;)
Oh its still getting replaced as soon as I can get one but the amp thing was just to see if I could hear the issue with another amp. Im still of the opinion that its a mix of a knackered stylus and my new Amp pulling a lot more detail out of a record as im playing other records im finding stuff/detail that ive not heard before good stuff tho ;-)

To my surprise, the McIntosh Group owns Sonus faber. The McIntosh Group are ultimately owned by a Dallas based equity firm called Highlander Partners.
Global business networks are indeed a complex web of connections!
Sumiko (a McIntosh company) distributes the 'Fine Sounds' portfolio into the USA and 'Fine Sounds UK' imports McIntosh, Sonus faber, and Bassocontinuo for the U.K. market.
That I did know! Sumiko were the authors of a well known speaker setup guide for Sonus fabers. Fine Sounds very kindly sent me some elastic strings for the grilles on my Sonus fabers even though they were imported before their business came into being. No charge either!

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Sumiko itself is American with headquarters in Minnesota...., Don't let the name fool you.
Not sure where their cartridges are actually made though
Listed as MN because that's where their parent group (Fine Sounds... part of the McIntosh group) is headquartered.
They were and still are made in Japan. The history is in the article I posted.

Attachments

• Sumiko.png
    Sumiko.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: speedthing

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Sumiko appear to made in Japan by Excel Sound. Excel also make Hana carts. If you dig deep enough there is a surprising amount of root origin commonality hidden behind different brand names.
Excel Sound is a hi fi store in Orange County that imports Hana. They have nothing to do with Sumiko. There are scores of small artisan cartridge manufacturers in Japan. Small workshops with just one or two dozen skilled technicians assembling bespoke designs by hand.

Reactions: speedthing

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
OK update went into Cheltenham to Richer sounds they didnt have anything in stock. So i popped down to Audio T which is a few streets down they had everything in stock. In the end i went for the Audio Technica VM95EN ill be back with more when i know more im waiting on a few things in the post so ill not know anything till later on next week. Cheers Alun

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts