Ortofon 2m Red Cartridge Damage.

james67

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
I'm wondering are these easy to damage.
I replaced mine with the one that came with the project debut 3 as it had , had a bit of hammer one drunken night with a few mates.
I put it back last night one channel was ok the other no sound apart from a prominent buzzing.
I checked the cables were ok , tried another amp , tried different phono leads and still the same , even clipped on an old spare 2m on , same result.

Put the pre - fitted cartridge back today and that seems to work ok , so have damaged the 2m red cartridge?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
First rule of vinyl- avoid when drunk.

Not sure how you could damage the cartridge, the stylus yes. Your post reads that you have replaced the stylus and you still have the same problem - is that correct.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
So you have damaged the stylus(needle) not the cartridge. You can get a replacement stylus for this cartridge. Are all 4 connectors on the rear of the cartridge sound.

To damage a cartridge I think you would need to give it a hefty whack with something.

james67

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Am not as i have two 2ms one cartridge and both have the same issue so it may be the cartridge itself ,good advice about drink & vinyl!

james67

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Am not as i have two 2ms one cartridge and both have the same issue so it may be the cartridge itself ,good advice about drink & vinyl!

james67

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply , was a bit unsure as regards buying a whole new cartridge , might be an option when i have the money.

Would that issue explain the speaker/distortion problem that i mentioned?

james67

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up , don't have the money to sort anything atm , but has put my mind at rest knowing its not a record deck issue etc!

james67

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Bought a new cartridge on Saturday and its ok , Fitting them is fiddly , but i find the set up etc is more of a pain in that is everything correct etc!

But thanks for the advice to those who have replied to my query.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts