• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Options to streaming high res from a NAS to Hifi Amp

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Hello,
I am looking for an inexpensive solution to stream high resolution audio (mainly FLAC) from my Synology NAS where they are stored to my hifi amplifier (Marantz PM-6005) that has a optical input. So far, I have been streaming through an Apple TV via Airplay but as you know Airplay downsamples to 16bit which means that the audio is not lossless anymore. I have made a lot of research and found out that it is possible to stream lossless audio via DLNA without losing quality. I am wondering if using my TV (LG EG-9100) which is the only DLNA device I have would be a good option. The connections will be as follows Synology-->TV (DLNA)-->hifi amp (from TV optical out)

Another option is to use a Chromecast Audio which supports hi res audio now. Is this a better option? is it better to use a jack-RCA (to amp RCA input) or a jack-optical cable (to amp optical input)

If you believe that none of those options are good, what else would you suggest? my requirements are simple: to not lose quality and inexpensive solution. I know that there are network players but they are out of my budget

Thank you for your help

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
CCA is good option. I think the DAC is quite good in the Chromecast, but likely the optical out is slightly better using the marantz DAC.

I use a Raumfeld Connector which is a good little unit. It costs about 179 euro but has an eight week trial period

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Something like this may also be suitable, as using the tv means you alwys need it on to see what your doing with the music

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Wireless-Receiver-wireless-streaming/dp/B00O0U37HO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487316615&sr=8-1&keywords=dnla+receiver

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts