Optimal viewing distance at around 3.3 metres - 47in or 50in plasma or LCD full hd?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I want to get a new TV and '5.1 home cinema in a box' for a new house. I'm quite new to all this. The lounge is quite long so I have worked out the viewing distance will be around 3.3m with a TV mounted on the wall (blank wall, plenty of space) to where the sofa has to go. I have just signed up to Virgin and I would like a blu-ray player and to watch more films. I will however be watching SD TV most of the time .. like most of us??? I have read conflicting and confusing info about what size screen I should be getting and ensuring I don't see any pixels etc and that the full HD TV I get can downscale to SD or upscale or something?? I also don't know whether to go for plasma or LCD. I read plasma running costs are high and that some manufacturers have dropped them now.

So far, I have found out the following. At that distance, I should have a 50in. So I can't find any LCDs at that size. Do they exist? So I guess I have to get a plasma then. If I get a 47in screen, I can go for LCD.

I would also like the following feature...
  • Freeview HD tuner.. in case I get fed up with Virgin or it fails..?
  • No need for Freesat
  • Screen shutdown when listening to radio.. to save costs...
I've also read it's important to have a good number of HDMI inputs/outputs?? I will have the following x-box, virgin receiver and receiver/blu-ray/dvd player from home cinema in a box. I would also like an internet connection for streaming /skype (like Sonys...) but I am confused about that because the receiver/player I will get will have ethernet connected to my router so why do I need a TV with that capability??

Many thanks for any advice offered.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I think most, if not all plasma's are 50" LCD tends to be 52".

If you are watching in a brightly lit room go for LCD but if the room is slightly dimmed go for a plasma, plasma & bright rooms don't mix unless you shut the curtains.

A

Anonymous

Previous advice from a couple of years ago is shifting - the acceptable viewing distance of the latest sets is quite a bit closer (better scaling, more HD) I'll bet youll see most people who thought 42'' was the biggest they could cope with switch to 50'' in the next few years. Your viewing distance is fine for 50'' providing you get a good set with a decent SD feed

Trouble is as slewis said the sets dont all come in 50'' which means it could be 52'' or even 55'' that is the next jump. I've been considering 55'' samsung C8000 because it is so amazingly bright and colourful and I am a similar distance with a 42'' currently. The 46'' wont do it for me its too small and the 55'' is probably right on the edge of acceptability, I might consider compromising the sd performance for the impact of the big screen. But at 50'' there wont be anything to compromise

At the end of the day the best reviewed set at 50'' is the panasonic VT 20 which is just out and nowhere has stock currently thats probably the set to go for at 50''

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts