Optical vs coaxial

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Tinman1952

What I get from that is, so long as the source sending the signal and whatever is receiving the signal are working fine and were properly designed, there is no affect on SQ. Problems may be encountered due to jitter and various forms of interference. At 8.17 in the video, various problems that can affect the signal are mentioned and suggestions as to how that can affect SQ, but no examples are given. By that I mean, if the jitter is measured at such and such, then that means "reduced deep lows" or a "loss in resolution".

Why does he not show a specific cable against another cable and play or measure the difference? I want to hear the "reduced deep lows".

It seems to me that something has to be seriously wrong with the design or equipment for there to be an audible effect, and no maker is going to sell a product that just does not work. The video also states the likely problems will be with the digital/analogue conversion and is not specifically about cables causing those problems.

An Amazon basics optical cable at £4.99 is going to be well enough made that it is not going to have an audible effect on SQ, compared to another at £70.
Well you know what they say……” you can take a horse to water………..”

aversaurus

Again if the signal is complete as it will be from any cable that's not broken or damaged or it's made of string .it will be all good .
But by all means buy the most expensive cable possible and enjoy.

insider9

I'm just curious if we have any military enthusiasts here. What would happen if all characters sent in Morse code would arrive incorrectly timed? Imagine 44,100 characters per second. How well would you decipher what message was sent? And how certain would you be that the message is 100% correct? Answers on a postcard

aversaurus

I think the problem we have is that no one on here is using the cables that come in the box with some items unless there hi end .
So is there a different from a £30 cable to a £100 cable .
I would imagine the £30 cable is working well and the DAC gets all the information it needs with 0 errors at a optimal speed .
So can the more expensive cable deliver the same information with less errors and a better than optimal speed.
And can we tell the difference .

Friesiansam

I'm just curious if we have any military enthusiasts here. What would happen if all characters sent in Morse code would arrive incorrectly timed? Imagine 44,100 characters per second. How well would you decipher what message was sent? And how certain would you be that the message is 100% correct? Answers on a postcard
Methinks, if you were using Morse code at such a high speed, transmission and reception would be computerised and would include provision for error correction.

I'll get my hat and coat...

abacus

Well if you believe everything in that video then you definitely don’t know anything about digital transmission, as while his description of the waveforms is correct, his conclusion (How it supposed to alter the sound) is complete and utter nonsense. (If he had come up with that in the real world I would have handed him his P45 ages ago)

Bill

Tinman1952

Well if you believe everything in that video then you definitely don’t know anything about digital transmission, as while his description of the waveforms is correct, his conclusion (How it supposed to alter the sound) is complete and utter nonsense. (If he had come up with that in the real world I would have handed him his P45 ages ago)

Bill
Obstinacy and intransigence is not an attractive quality. A refusal to accept another person‘s view of the science is not a recipe for progress…..🙄

idc

You need to understand the difference between ‘ a complete digital signal’ and a complete but ‘corrupted signal’…….corrupted by timing errors!

Show me evidence that a well-made cable can cause corruption of the signal, and that corruption can produce an audible effect on SQ. I want an example of a specific cable and how its construction causes the signal to be corrupted in a specific way that produces a specific effect on SQ.

For example, the cable X by company Y, causes a measurable corruption of the signal, which when the cable is plugged into any system, it will cause the listener to hear a reduction in the bass.

Reactions: shadders

Tinman1952

Show me evidence that a well-made cable can cause corruption of the signal, and that corruption can produce an audible effect on SQ. I want an example of a specific cable and how its construction causes the signal to be corrupted in a specific way that produces a specific effect on SQ.

For example, the cable X by company Y, causes a measurable corruption of the signal, which when the cable is plugged into any system, it will cause the listener to hear a reduction in the bass.
You are missing the point my friend. This is not another tedious debate about cables and whether they affect sound quality….(yawn)
the original comment said that as a digital signal is only 1s and Os then the sound CANNOT be affected…because it’s ‘digital’.
This video is an attempt to show ( to those with an open mind not closed off by their own prejudice) that digital signals CAN go wrong because they are actually analogue square waves.
I f you don’t get this then nothing I say can convince you of anything.…and to be honest it doesn’t bother me in the slightest what you choose or don’t choose to believe.
I‘ m out……🙂

idc

You are missing the point my friend. This is not another tedious debate about cables and whether they affect sound quality….(yawn)
the original comment said that as a digital signal is only 1s and Os then the sound CANNOT be affected…because it’s ‘digital’.

That is your take on what I said. My take on what I said is that so long the cable is made to reasonable standard, it will transmit the signal in such a way that there will be no noticeable effect on that signal.

This video is an attempt to show ( to those with an open mind not closed off by their own prejudice) that digital signals CAN go wrong because they are actually analogue square waves.
I f you don’t get this then nothing I say can convince you of anything.…and to be honest it doesn’t bother me in the slightest what you choose or don’t choose to believe.
I‘ m out……🙂

I am not disputing the signal can go wrong.

I am disputing that any cable made to a decent standard, can make the signal go wrong in a way that can have an audible effect on SQ. So, any cables made to that standard, whether they are £10 or £100, they will not affect SQ.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts