Optical input on Sony DAV IS10

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, Can anyone tell me if I can connect my sky box to the Sony IS10 using an optical cable ? For audio obviously !! Also, does which optical cable i buy make a big diff ?? Thanks Marty

A

Anonymous

Marty,

Haven't managed to implement this myself yet (still waiting for the builders to move out of the new lounge) But according to the instuction book "YES" the system defaults to using the Optical input for the TV and the co-ax for sky, but you can swap them over in the menu. I've still got a couple of weeks to wait before I can get going with my own set up, so I would be very interested to hear how you get on with DAV-IS10.

Can't comment on the cable though. I have a cheap one to get me going, but I suspect I will be upgrading very quickly.

Cheers,

David.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply David.

My DAV-IS10 arrived today. I bought a Profigold PGD5000 HD Digital Optical interconnect which arrived today as well. Sony's I pod dock for the IS10 arrives tomorrow.

Hooking it all up this evening to my Pioneer plasma and will let you know how it goes. Hopefully i'll be delighted.

Can't wait to get home !!

Marty

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I would like to use the Sony DAV IS10 as an amplifier to connect my computer to. Is it recommended? Should I look for a different product?

best regards,

Riccardo

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi there. I think that your sky box needs to be an HD one for it to have digital optical out. I may be wrong. I haven't seen any standard sky boxes with an optical out before. If you have a HD box, no problem. I've not looked at the sony surround package you have but I'd be amazed if it didn't have an optical in. There is definitely no coaxial connection on even the HD box.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
I think this thread confirms that I can't connect both Sky box and PS3 to the DAV-IS10?

Since both the PS3 and Sky box seem to only have Optical out, and the DAV-IS10 only has 1 x Optical and 1 x Coax inputs? That's a real shame, as I love the look of the DAV-IS10 (and of course those tiny speakers and great sound), but I need to connect a proper HD source (e.g. PS3) AND Sky box (and ideally my Wii console!). Am I definitely out of luck?

The alternative (a 'proper' A/V receiver and speakers) I'm researching right now, but it's really making my head hurt!!!

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
See here.

[/quote]

Ah. So it would need a nasty fugly old switch to make it work. That's a shame.

I guess one alternative would be to get the BDP-S300 rather than a PS3, in that the BDP-S300 has a digital coax output?

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
Andrew - thanks for that suggestion; that looks much neater.

But - is there anything wrong with the BDP-S300 vs the PS3? I have neither right now. I'd only be using the PS3 as a DVD/blu-ray player, and the S300 seems to have at least as good a feature set for that purpose, and the promotion Sony are doing right now gives you either PS3 or S300 - your choice.

I suppose my only feeling about the PS3 is that they're the same price, but with the PS3 you get a games console and HDD 'thrown in for free'!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gregch"]I suppose my only feeling about the PS3 is that they're the same price, but with the PS3 you get a games console and HDD 'thrown in for free'![/quote]

Nothing at all wrong with the BDP-S300, but I think you've answered the question yourself!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts