optical in 2.0 for £500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm looking to buy something that has optical in (from my TV) to power 2 speakers. All my other devices connect to the TV using HDMI. It could be a micro system, a stereo amp or an AV receiver for £500 max.

I'm not bothered if it has many functions at all except being able to make sound. All I'm interested in is getting the best sound for the money for both TV and Music. I don't listen to bass heavy music if that makes a difference to what I should get and I don't have room for a 5.1 set up or want one.

The question really is what would produce better sound for 2 speakers, an AV receiver or a dedicated stero given the lack of choice of stereo receivers with optical in within my budget.

The things I have seen that interest me are the Onkyo A-V5L(this doesn't get the best reiew by the review team but on other websites they seem to like it), Marantz NR1402, both with Dali Zensor 1 speakers. I would prefer to saty away from the massive AV receivers but if they are significantly better for the price would accept one. A micro system would be nice but I would assume I would lose sound quality in paying for rarely used functions.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I know the Onkyo TX-8050 is very highly regarded on these forums, and can be had for around £250 nowadays, I think it originally retailed at around £400.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for that, looks good for £250. Do you thnk stereo receiver is the way to go then?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
kingkahnv said:
Do you thnk stereo receiver is the way to go then?

I would personally say so, though others have argued that being able to hook up a centre speaker to an AV receiver makes it a more attractive option for films. Are you able to travel anywhere and demo some stereo vs AV systems?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I can't think of another integrated at the same price point of the Onkyo that will give you digital inputs. Having said that, if your TV has a scart then you may well be able to get analogue out of that with a scart-RCA adapter for a few quid. That's assuming that you want to go digital due to lack of analogue out from the TV? Although that would rely on the DAC in the TV which may not be great. If you have an amp/system already it would only cost a few quid to try. You could then look at powered speakers to keep the box count down unless you already have the Dalis.

Or another option is a cheap DAC, something like this.

A

Anonymous

My TV doesn't have scarts and I don't have an amp so can't do that, thanks for the input anyay.

I don't really have room for a centre speaker unless it was small, the speakers will be close to either side of the TV so probably not needed, also I think having three speakers would either push the budget over £500 or I would have to get cheaper speakers.

I'll go to Richer Sounds when I can get a demo of this, they originally suggested a Yamaha RXV371, but I wasn't sure how it'd be only having 2 speakers, the woman in the shop didn't sound like she know much, more than me, but that's not saying much.

I don't have the Dali's yet but seeing their reviews and my budget I haven't seen much that compares. The reviews were based on music though not TV, but I'm assuming they'll be good, I'll test them anyway.

Thanks

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I'd say go for the Onkyo TX-8050 then. As well your digital requirement you get Internet radio, USB playback & streaming thrown in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts