Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Looks like some things never change, Pioneer still the best when it comes to Blu-ray players. Lol
smiley-laughing.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

DandyCobalt said:
Dare I ask where it gets 3 stars? No sign of a new edition of WHFSV in our part of the swamp yet.

Michelin Guide?

The new edition of What HiFi out today.
smiley-smile.gif

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I have found several reviews on line from well known sources and they are all extremely complementary. I cannot find any trace of a 3 star review .

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
DandyCobalt said:
Dare I ask where it gets 3 stars? No sign of a new edition of WHFSV in our part of the swamp yet.

Michelin Guide?

smiley-smile.gif

Do you mean it's been delivered to subscribers today? In which case do you think you could hold off on the spoilers until some of us have had a chance to get home from work and read it for ourselves...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
DandyCobalt said:

Michelin Guide?

smiley-smile.gif
Better take "The world's most trusted tech reviews" of the web site banner then.

D

Deleted member 2457

hammill said:
gel said:
DandyCobalt said:

Michelin Guide?

smiley-smile.gif
Better take "The world's most trusted tech reviews" of the web site banner then.

Yep, wise words, too expensive for what they are, not any better than £200 Blu-ray players.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I will have a read of the review.

I would not say its no better than a £200 player, I have had a demo of the unit and it beat all budget players I threw at it. Both musically and for AV.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I tend to agree with a lot of the reviews on the site, but to say this player is no better than a sony s790 (for example) is simply not true. The Sony performed poorly in handling image and fast motion, it looks blurred in comparison to the Oppo.

I would argue its the other way around 3 stars for Sony and 5 for Oppo.

Again I will read the review at home later, I am sure there is more to this.

jjbomber

[/quote]

Do you mean it's been delivered to subscribers today? In which case do you think you could hold off on the spoilers until some of us have had a chance to get home from work and read it for ourselves...

[/quote]

In that case you sould be working, not reading internet forums :grin:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jjbomber said:

I'll have you know I've done at least an hour's work today...

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

I'll have you know I've done at least an hour's work today...

[/quote]

The patient's under anaesthetic, there's good wifi, it's called multitasking in the new NHS :)

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
WHF not the leading authority on all things! Every other reviewer in every other highly regarded publication, gives it either reference status, or nothing near it at any where near the price status:star:

I compared my 95 to denon costing £2500 at the time the oppo was at £900. Amongst other players costing much much more. Nothing came near. I never looked back. And wont be changing my 95 any time soon.

When will some of you guys stop seeing whf mag as the holy grail? And start reading someone elses also, for a more balanced view. And get out there and dem this kit!!

If the 103/105 is only half the machine the 95 is, it will be awsome.(With the right partnering kit of course)

Cheers

jjbomber

Page 75 is worse. The guy is looking for a 32gb tablet for around £200, so What-Apple Advice Centre suggests an ipad mini at £349. Or page 77, where the poor guy is recommended a Sony Blu-Ray and TV as it can be controlled with a free Media Remote for iphone, even though he doesn't say he's got an iphone at all.

Page 90 competition is for 2 pairs of interconnects and speaker cable at £2550.. The review says, and I quote, ''they are, of course, expensive''. We couldn't have worked that one out!

It's still far and away the best mag out there. Yes, we poke fun at it now and again, but generally it is very good. We wouldn't subscribe otherwise.

Hmmm.....interesting. So the Oppo drops a star from last year, mainly because the £200 players have improved their performance significantly, making it hard to justify spending £500 on a player. Looks like Cambridge Audio 652BD will go the same way & drop a star. :?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If 500+ is being spent, you are buying the player for its ability to play CD as well. When reading the review this was a huge negative for the Oppo and the reason it dropped an extra star I think.

D

Deleted member 2457

Ricuardo said:
In my country oppo is best always.

Not in our country, the picture and sound aren't really up to snuff.
smiley-smile.gif

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Tad harsh, the Oppo 95 was and is a very capable machine as is the Oppo 93, that tradition continues with the 103 and certainly the 105. Extend that to Cambridge Audio as they are Oppo under the hood. There is a difference, I can certainly see it when I demo.

One budget player that I thought came within a whisker was the BDT500 (bluray playback)

D

Deleted member 2457

duaplex said:
Tad harsh, the Oppo 95 was and is a very capable machine as is the Oppo 93, that tradition continues with the 103 and certainly the 105. Extend that to Cambridge Audio as they are Oppo under the hood. There is a difference, I can certainly see it when I demo.

One budget player that I thought came within a whisker was the BDT500 (bluray playback)

The way I see it is that the Cambridge Audio has better sound, hence why it does better.

TRENDING THREADS