Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
duaplex said:
Tad harsh, the Oppo 95 was and is a very capable machine as is the Oppo 93, that tradition continues with the 103 and certainly the 105. Extend that to Cambridge Audio as they are Oppo under the hood. There is a difference, I can certainly see it when I demo.

One budget player that I thought came within a whisker was the BDT500 (bluray playback)

The way I see it is that the Cambridge Audio has better sound, hence why it does better.

So maybe I dropped lucky when I purchased the Denon 1713 UD player for £250. I was also very interested in the Oppo 93 and could have been lured had one been in stock anywhere in West Yorkshire last weekend.

Impatience is a virtue, apparently.

A

Anonymous

I don't know why you are surprised do they still review hdmi cables on a monthly basis. Stating how one is better than the other lol.

manicm

duaplex said:
Tad harsh, the Oppo 95 was and is a very capable machine as is the Oppo 93, that tradition continues with the 103 and certainly the 105. Extend that to Cambridge Audio as they are Oppo under the hood. There is a difference, I can certainly see it when I demo.

One budget player that I thought came within a whisker was the BDT500 (bluray playback)

To a large degree it seems , but CA uses Wolfson DACs whereas Oppo uses Sabre DACs. The video components are by and large the same.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
duaplex said:
I prefer the oppo 95 myself. Especially at its reduced price point :)

I'm certainly not looking for another one, being more than happy with mine, but I'm mildly curious about where the reduced price of the Oppo 95 can be had. The only link I could find was Lintone Audio (from where I bought mine) including a free fitting of the usually £100 multiregion kit, but the basic price remains at £899.

About the new Oppo 103, putting "oppo 103 blu-ray player review" into google gives many links, but the most comprehensive one is a development of the second one, or directly here http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/reviews/bdp-103-105eu/ covering both the Oppo 103 and 105. The praise in these reviews (nearly all with downloadable PDFs) for both new machines is somewhere between very high and celestial. The findings of the What Hi-Fi review team in giving the Oppo 103 only three stars are at variance with everyone else.

A

Anonymous

gel said:
Ricuardo said:
In my country oppo is best always.

Not in our country, the picture and sound aren't really up to snuff.
smiley-smile.gif
I is surprised me very much because of this, oppo best always for my people.

D

Deleted member 2457

Ricuardo said:
gel said:
Ricuardo said:
In my country oppo is best always.

Not in our country, the picture and sound aren't really up to snuff.
smiley-smile.gif
I is surprised me very much because of this, oppo best always for my people.

I have to admit I was surprised too, but What HiFi have clearly giving it a thorough workout with the best demo equipment and come to the conclusion it does not measure up against other Blu-ray players. Picture and sound quality for the money seems to be its downfall. I looked at the spec on the Pioneers at £200 and compared it to the Oppo for £500 and there is not much in it, but sure you get a nice case to put it in for the extra £300.
smiley-smile.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
I'll try my link again (thanks for telling me, bigboss) for glowing reviews of both the Oppo 105 and 103

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/reviews/bdp-103-105eu/

What's your point though? Reviews are subjective, neither are wrong or right.

Mind you it's still funny watching the fanboys rabidly defending their purchasing decisions, as if this one review suddenly implies they were stupid to spend their money on an Oppo, when it doesn't mean anything of the sort.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm interested in reading the review before saying too much.

gel said:
Picture and sound quality for the money seems to be its downfall. I looked at the spec on the Pioneers at £200 and compared it to the Oppo for £500 and there is not much in it, but sure you get a nice case to put it in for the extra £300.
smiley-smile.gif

Pop in and I'll put the 103 up against any of the Pioneer Bluray players and I'll show you how much better the 103 can look via a decent projector on a 9ft screen. I replaced my £1200 Bluray player with the 103 purely based on the fact that makes it look like a I have a new projector. Also, CD's, including SACD's sound pretty amazing through a system we have set up in our main demo room - Audiolab 8200AP, Primare A30.7, PMC Twenty.24's with Twenty centre, and dual stacked Ken Kreisel DXD12012's. The power amp in this system rotates between the Primare A30.7, Audiolab 8200x7, and Bryston 9Bsst2. Whichever power amp we use, the system just sounds amazing, regardless of volume.

In fact, if anyone wants to pop in, feel free (not today, I'm not there!)

As others have said, all other reviews haven't given these players anything near a three star review, so it'll be interesting to find out why WHF disagrees. If a 103 can't get a 5 star review for £500, I can only assume we won't be seeing any 5 star reviews (or even 4 star) for any current Bluray players...

D

Deleted member 2457

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'm interested in reading the review before saying too much.

gel said:
Picture and sound quality for the money seems to be its downfall. I looked at the spec on the Pioneers at £200 and compared it to the Oppo for £500 and there is not much in it, but sure you get a nice case to put it in for the extra £300.
smiley-smile.gif

Pop in and I'll put the 103 up against any of the Pioneer Bluray players and I'll show you how much better the 103 can look via a decent projector on a 9ft screen. I replaced my £1200 Bluray player with the 103 purely based on the fact that makes it look like a I have a new projector. Also, CD's, including SACD's sound pretty amazing through a system we have set up in our main demo room - Audiolab 8200AP, Primare A30.7, PMC Twenty.24's with Twenty centre, and dual stacked Ken Kreisel DXD12012's. The power amp in this system rotates between the Primare A30.7, Audiolab 8200x7, and Bryston 9Bsst2. Whichever power amp we use, the system just sounds amazing, regardless of volume.

In fact, if anyone wants to pop in, feel free (not today, I'm not there!)

As others have said, all other reviews haven't given these players anything near a three star review, so it'll be interesting to find out why WHF disagrees. If a 103 can't get a 5 star review for £500, I can only assume we won't be seeing any 5 star reviews (or even 4 star) for any current Bluray players...

It is a pretty damning review to be honest, I would be interested to hear your views once you read it. Yep, thanks for the invite, it has been a while since I have been to the Midlands, look forward to it sometime. Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Awful review.

Every other publication gives it 4/5 stars. HCC has listed the 103 as their reference player. Industry experts sing its praises, yet What Hi-Fi give it 3 stars?

This Reviewer is in the wrong job and hasn't a clue.

Yes, I have the 103 and find it a fantastic player, an improvement on my old 93. PQ especially DVD upscaling is excellent, superior to my old 93 and my secondary Panasonic 220 player. WHF review just states the basics of the player. No in-depth detail, doesn't mention any of the key features in any depth. Upscaling capabities, hdmi inputs etc. Speed of the player. Review is a bad joke.

Extremely annoyed.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Every time I get ready to buy a 103 some thing comes up makes me think should I ?

I was worried that the 4k player might happen so would be out of date very quickly ! I know it up scales to 4k but not the same as real 4k I am guessing a bit like a DVD player upscaling to 1080p

Then this review which I have not seen my copy of the mag is properly at home but won't be home until Sunday evening

The reasons I want one is sacd and dvd audio only have a few discs but I like music in surround

another bonus today I use a app called O Remote to control the Onkyo 809 but had a update and will control the oppo as well so I would be able to control reciever from my iPad or I phone 5

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
ian 986 and any other doubters.Go audition them!

The offers there. You will not be disapointed. With the right partnering equipment, against anything else around, no touching oppo. They are simply fantastic.

Me thinks David will be very busy for a while.

D

Deleted member 2457

Green Rob said:
Awful review.

Every other publication gives it 4/5 stars. HCC has listed the 103 as their reference player. Industry experts sing its praises, yet What Hi-Fi give it 3 stars?

This Reviewer is in the wrong job and hasn't a clue.

Yes, I have the 103 and find it a fantastic player, an improvement on my old 93. PQ especially DVD upscaling is excellent, superior to my old 93 and my secondary Panasonic 220 player. WHF review just states the basics of the player. No in-depth detail, doesn't mention any of the key features in any depth. Upscaling capabities, hdmi inputs etc. Speed of the player. Review is a bad joke.

Extremely annoyed.

I thought it was quite a comprehensive review, if the picture and sound quality aren't up to snuff, what's is there left to say? I definitely will not be buying this product.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Green Rob said:
Yes, I have the 103 and find it a fantastic player,

.....Extremely annoyed.

May I ask what the problem is then? You find it a fantastic player, so does a 3 star review (or 2 or 1 for that matter) alter your enjoyment in any way?

Don't be annoyed, just enjoy your movies and music.....

A

Anonymous

gel said:
I thought it was quite a comprehensive review, if the picture and sound quality aren't up to snuff, what's is there left to say? I definitely will not be buying this product.

So you think a quarter of a page review = comprehensive? Please read the Home Cinema Choice review, now that is well written. If you read the review correctly, WHF doesn't actually state that it's pq performance is poor at all, just not much better than the best budget decks.

I'm happy with my Oppo. Great player, and I don't need a magazine to tell me otherwise. I purchased my 103 on the back of an in-store demo. The issue for me is that it is a poorly written review. No depth whatsover, just compairing the machines Blu Ray and DVD pq against budget decks. Really!! Most people know that there should be no or very little difference between a £70 Blu Ray player and £700 for PQ. The Oppo is much more than just a Blu Ray player but the reviwer doesn't really mention of of the machines benefits in depth.

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/HCC_oppo_blu103eu.pdf

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oppo-bdp-103-201212052427.htm

D

Deleted member 2457

Green Rob said:
gel said:

So you think a quarter of a page review = comprehensive? Please read the Home Cinema Choice review, now that is well written. If you read the review correctly, WHF doesn't actually state that it's pq performance is poor at all, just not much better than the best budget decks.

I'm happy with my Oppo. Great player, and I don't need a magazine to tell me otherwise. I purchased my 103 on the back of an in-store demo. The issue for me is that it is a poorly written review. No depth whatsover, just compairing the machines Blu Ray and DVD pq against budget decks. Really!! Most people know that there should be no or very little difference between a £70 Blu Ray player and £700 for PQ. The Oppo is much more than just a Blu Ray player but the reviwer doesn't really mention of of the machines benefits in depth.

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/HCC_oppo_blu103eu.pdf

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oppo-bdp-103-201212052427.htm

It says the sound is rubbish though. Yep, read the HCC review too, and do use them as a buying guide too. So I am pretty intrigued, but WHF is my number one guide though and have not let me down yet.

My understanding regarding blu ray players is plain & simple. If looking for blu ray picture quality, a budget blu ray player is as good as a high end one. Then I won't bother spending on an expensive player. If I'm looking for DVD upscaling, Oppo is the best, followed by Denon & Marantz. If I'm looking for a universal player or a player with twin HDMI outs without considering DVD upscaling, I'll look for cheaper options like Pioneer / Sony / Panasonic (depending on the feature I want). If I'm after superior audio via analogue, I'll look at Oppo 105 / CA 751 / Denon 2012 / Marantz equivalent.

TRENDING THREADS