Oops! curiosity got the better of me

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Left the RS6s rigged to the Pulse overnight. While getting ready for work thi morning listened to the radio... very pleasant sound.

This evening quickly tried the PMCs. Although not night and day difference the soundscape of the Monitor Audios just seems so narrow. Hard to convey what I'm really hearing: The RS6s has all the attributes one would expect from a good speaker: Detail, bass definition, good midrange, layered instruments... but somehow, when played side-by-side with the TB2is, the RS6s sound empty, which is an odd paradox.

After dinner I'll try the Tucana and see how much of a kick up the backside that gives the RS6.

More later...

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
My observations on going from the QA concept 40 to the PMC were very similar to yours. To me the bass on the PMC's was better and more textured. And apart from a little more detail, I couldn't make out much of the rest, except that the PMC's were a more enjoyable listen. And I still don't know why, but the sound on the PMC's is almost a league above the concepts.

Will be interesting to see if the more powerful tucana improves the RS6's further.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
newlash09 said:
My observations on going from the QA concept 40 to the PMC were very similar to yours. To me the bass on the PMC's was better and more textured. And apart from a little more detail, I couldn't make out much of the rest, except that the PMC's were a more enjoyable listen. And I still don't know why, but the sound on the PMC's is almost a league above the concepts.

Will be interesting to see if the more powerful tucana improves the RS6's further.

This is because the sound that is created by PMC speakers sounds like real music rather than just music played on a HiFi system, imo of course. *smile*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Will agree with the PMC's doing something to make the whole sound better. After spinning it through and through my head, I feel that maybe each instrument sounds a shade more realistic than my previous speakers. So in isolation I can make out small differences in tones when I concentrate on a single particular instrument. So the sum of all these minute realisms is making the whole combination enjoyable I think :)

And the bass....at loud disco volumes..... it gets so violent with the precise slam and stop. I fear the cabinet will explode one day :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
That these will be my last passive speakers ever. And I do not wish to upgrade them as long as they work.

And whenever they fail, I will sell my entire setup and go the active route for some new kicks :)

Sometimes in life you really try to hype up or expect a product, regardless of what that might be, to be good, and more often than not, it bites you hard on the backside of expectation. Also, buying on a whim or because this little person is saying, in the back of my mind: "Go on. You might be surprised..." That little person wasn't wrong. It could have been an empty exercise, but I thoroughly enjoyed these last few days with RS6s.

Wired to the Tucana turns the RS6s into a slightly different beast: The Tucana, although very taut and fast, has a bigger, bolder soundscape than the Pulse. This helps because the RS6, unlike the newer RX and Silver ranges, only have 6 ohms impedance. So any extra grunt really helps, even though the lift in sound wasn't as significant as I originally hoped.

For a floorstander of only £600 when new, they are deeply impressive on all levels. Not once during these past few days did I experience any brightness - okay, this is subjective, I suppose; no sibilance and not heard any metallicy edge from the domed tweeter.

Without any question, Monitor Audio RS6 have their own sonic footprint. Some will love that while others won't - IMHO, and heard it with a £1250 and £4k amp, there's no serious sonic issues (nothing that's audible to my ears, anyway).

Will I sell the PMCs? Of course not. They are a classier all-rounder, but for a sub-£300 s/hand speaker the MAs are a stellar proposition.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Sometimes in life you really try to hype up or expect a product, regardless of what that might be, to be good, and more often than not, it bites you hard on the backside of expectation. Also, buying on a whim or because this little person is saying, in the back of my mind: "Go on. You might be surprised..."  That little person wasn't wrong. It could have been an empty exercise, but I thoroughly enjoyed these last few days with RS6s.

Wired to the Tucana turns the RS6s into a slightly different beast: The Tucana, although very taut and fast, has a bigger, bolder soundscape than the Pulse. This helps because the RS6, unlike the newer RX and Silver ranges, only have 6 ohms impedance. So any extra grunt really helps, even though the lift in sound wasn't as significant as I originally hoped.

For a floorstander of only £600 when new, they are deeply impressive on all levels. Not once during these past few days did I experience any brightness - okay, this is subjective, I suppose; no sibilance and not heard any metallicy edge from the domed tweeter.

Without any question, Monitor Audio RS6 have their own sonic footprint. Some will love that while others won't - IMHO, and heard it with a £1250 and £4k amp, there's no serious sonic issues (nothing that's audible to my ears, anyway).

Will I sell the PMCs? Of course not. They are a classier all-rounder, but for a sub-£300 s/hand speaker the MAs are a stellar proposition.

So what are you going to do with them now though?
2nd system somewhere?

Next question? *blush*

Not sure. I suppose I'll have to keep Mrs. P on-side. The choice is either tell her a fib and hide the speakers in the attic or sell. I'll ponder this over the weekend.

Because we live in a bungalow a 2nd system isn't going to be practical.

plastic penguin said:
Next question? *blush*

Not sure. I suppose I'll have to keep Mrs. P on-side. The choice is either tell her a fib and hide the speakers in the attic or sell. I'll ponder this over the weekend.

Because we live in a bungalow a 2nd system isn't going to be practical.

For one minute I thought you were going to write.... because we haven't got an attic... :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
On a completely different note. Was googling something today, and came across mr.vladimir's reply. And his signature read...

People should match their speakers to their room, and their amp to their speakers - Al ears

Absolutely loved it :)

insider9

No giant killing then. It's good to satisfy curiosity. Prefer it that way to getting a pair of speakers that does that one thing better than the ones you have that would ultimately send you on a wild goose chase. That's what happened to me a number of times where I liked certain traits from certain bits and missed them in others and wanted to find that very one which would do all of it.

Very, very good value though.

Yip - room acoustics is influential in how the system sounds as a whole. The other important factor, and equally important IMO, is how you perceive or listen to the hi-fi: Years ago I used to analyse every aspect of a system. Everything from detail, bass definition to god knows what else.

Now, as I'm getting older, I just like a system to how it makes me feel. The RS6s make me chuckle because they are bonkers. The PMCs are more civilized but still have fun factor. Overall it's about the ambience....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts