Onkyo TX-SR706 no sub sound from pre-out... need help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
 Hello,

I've just bought myself a new Onkyo 706.  I've got 5 satellite speakers (HKTS11) connected to it and they sound great, but I'm having problems with getting the sub to work.

The sub is set to "on" (instead of "auto on"), the volume is set to the mid-position, the filter is off and I run a coaxial RCA cable between the low-level-in on the sub and the sub pre-out on the onkyo.

I've tried different cables, tough.  Nothing seems to work.

At first I tought the sub died on me, so I connected it at minimum volume with the filter on directly to the analog output of my DVD player and I DO get a humming sound out of it.  So the sub ain't broken.

I've tried every setting on the onkyo.  I also double-checked the individual speaker settings and crossover frequencies.

Last time I checked I had my front, center and surround speakers set to 120Hz (front was preset at full-band, but I disabled that).  The sub option is set to "yes" and the sub crossover frequency is set to 90Hz.

I get test tones out of every speaker when doing manual or automatic calibrations, but none whatsoever from the sub.  I also fiddled with the individual volume setting of the sub, thinking it might have been put to low.  I turned it up to the max. (+- 12dB), but still I don't get anything...

I'm feeling really desperate now, since the thing going wrong seems to be a defective sub pre-out on the onkyo.

Has anyone experienced this before? Or am I missing something totally obvious?

greetings,

Dries

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
You have got it plugged in to the correct output socket on the back of the Onkyo? Of course you have... just that I had the same problem when I got mine and did exactly just that! One of those doh! moments...

A

Anonymous

Follow me through this one:

I face my receiver on the front and hang over it.

I see the lower row of cinch sockets to the left and my sub cable is inserted in the fourth socket from the left. ÿIt is a purple one. ÿNext to it are grey, light brown and red.

ÿ

This MUST be right ÿ
emotion-1.gif

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes you have the right socket it's underneath the green coloured center socket on pre outs.

Can't help you with your problem i'm afraid maybe somebody else will come along.

A

Anonymous

Is there a way to connect the line-in R/L of the sub to the front pre-out channels of my Onkyo 706?

Would I need any adapter?

I guess I would have to put my front speakers to "full band" and disable the sub on the receiver? The sub has a built in filter so he can do the math.

Would pushing full band frequencies through my small HKTS 11 front speakers damage or strain them?

ÿ

greetings,

Driesÿ

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
have you used the auto set up i no mine set the sub really low may just need turning up in the menu.could be you just cant hear it.

A

Anonymous

I've done an automated calibration. ÿNever heard the sub. ÿI also increased the volume of the sub on the receiver from the 0dB level to +12dB. ÿI didn't hear any test tones then either. ÿI also played with volume control on the sub itself, but that didn't work either.

A

Anonymous

The sub of the HKTS 11 set has a LED that is orange in standby and blue when on. ÿIt has always been blue. ÿI can hear a slight hum too, meaning the amp is working (I hear this as well when no cable is connected, a very light barely audible hum).

My receiver doesn't do triggering of subs, so my sub is always powered on.ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Wasn't talking about the receiver triggering the sub, but the subwoofer's auto power on/off system.

As the manual says:

"Music-Sense On/Off Switch: When
placed in the AUTO position, and when the
Master Power Switch is turned on, the
SUB-TS11 will automatically turn itself on or
place itself in the Standby mode, depending on
whether it is receiving an audio signal. When
this switch is placed in the ONposition, the
SUB-TS11 will remain on, whether or not it is
receiving an audio signal.

"An LED located on top of the SUB-TS11 indicates
whether the SUB-TS11 is in the On or
standby state when used with the Music-Sense
On/Off Switch in the AUTO position. The
LED is lit blue to indicate that the SUB-TS11 is
receiving an audio signal and is turned on, and
the LED is lit amber to indicate that no signal is
being received and the SUB-TS11 is in Standby
mode.

"When the Music-Sense On/Off Switch is
in the ONposition, the LED will be lit blue,
whether or not an audio signal is present."

So I'm assuming you have the subwoofer in the permanently on position, not 'auto', in which case it suggests either that the auto-calibration system didn't detect the sub, and thus the receiver has set itself up with the subwoofer output off, although you say you've done this and the sub is set to 'on', or there's a fault in either the cable feeding the sub, or the subwoofer itself.

Also try setting the volume control on the sub to max, and plugging the cable from the receiver into one of the other inputs on the sub.

A

Anonymous

Autocalibration couldn't detect my sub. ÿI used different kinds of RCA wires (the one supplied with the sub, a coaxial cable, even a component video cinch cable...), nothing works. ÿWhen I use those cables and put it on my DVD player (analog L out) I do get sound out of my sub. ÿSo my guess is there's nothing wrong with the sub and cabling, but rather with the Onkyo itself.

I did try and play with the volume control on the sub. ÿI also reconnected the RCA from LFE-in to low-level-in (L in), didn't yield any sound either.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I have the Onkyo 706 and run my sub from the same socket that you appear to be using ( the socket to the left of the socket labelled 24 on page 11 of the manual).

If you don't hear test tones from it at all, then that would suggest, as you say, that there is a problem with the amplifier. I'd contact the dealer and ask for a replacement, and/or ask Onkyo for their comments.

A

Anonymous

Driesel, did you ever get this sorted? I've got exactly the same problem with my new 607 and despite having the first receiver replaced by Richer Sounds, I still can't get anything out of my sub even with the second receiver. RS tested the sub and it worked fine so the problem is definitely the receiver, either in terms of the output or the fact that I'm doing something wrong.

I'd like to think that two successive amps can't be faulty so that would suggest that the problem lies with me but I, like you, can't see what I'm doing wrong. The sub is connected properly, I've tried an alternative lead, and the volume and crossover have both been set to max yet the auto setup refuses to recognise the presence of the sub or successfully broadcast test tones. Fortunately my new kef 2005.3s manage a lot of bass so it's not a short-term disaster, but it would be nice to have the occasional room-shaking rumble when the soundtrack calls for it.......

Gareth

A

Anonymous

I have the exactly same problem with my sub ts11 and 607.

Hope someone can help us.

A

Anonymous

having exactly the same problem with a 606 i just bought, sub is kef kube 1. sub knows its plugged in as light goes green and get a quick 'pop' sound from it. nothing picked up by onkyo amp...

any suggestions greatly appreciated...

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if this helps.

This is how I think it works from when I installed my 606 and my sub was missing...

If you run autosetup (with the microphone) the sub must be seen otherwise it will NOT be added to the configuration.
So in my case (KEF3005SE) the sub must be either switched to on or auto to be seen.
If the sub is missed during autosetup the amp will not know that one is ever connected.

So I would suggest this is the first stage which you have to solve.

A

Anonymous

Driesel,

I am having the same problem you expressed in this post. I re-read my maual, checked all my connections, used different connecting cords, used 2 different subwoofers and still no sound. I am at totally lost. Did you ever determine what the problem was? If so, I would greatly appreciate getting some resolution to this problem.

If anyone out there in "whathifi" forum land has an answer, PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
If the sub is plugged into the correct socket (PRE OUT:SUBWOOFER, and not the socket used for multichannel DVD input), then I would suggest you contact Onkyo customer service.

emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you---as crazy as it seems, I was not as thorough as I thought. Your post caused me to recheck my connections. I did not have it plugged into the PRE OUT:SUBWOOFER socket. I plugged it in and got it working. Thank you very much. I feel like a dunce, but a happy dunce.

I hope you have a nice day

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts