Onkyo TX SR505

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, I am about to take the plunge with my first set of decent audio equipment. I want to buy for the future if possible, but not spend a fortune on any one individual piece. With that in mind, I am considering buying the Onkyo TX SR505 as my "amp", rather than a stereo amp. I have seen it available for 149 pounds, which makes it very attractive. I plan on buying a pair of Tannoy Mercury F1's, at first and then adding to them when I can afford it to create 5.1.

I will run an iPod, turntable and DVD player through it at first, and add a decent CD player and Blu-Ray later.

My basic question is really this: is the muscial ie stereo performance good enough for what I want for a complete novice to the world of sepereates.

Any opinions or advice would very welcome,

Thanks in advance

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
When you consider it has the potential to drive 7 channels, that's just over £20 per channel so no it won't sound that great with music. A stereo amp would blow it away with music performance as that is what it is designed to do, i.e. driving 2 channels. No budget receiver is going to match a decent stereo amp unless you're talking serious coin. I would try and find a 2nd hand discontinued AV Reciever. There are lots of high-end AV Receivers going for a song on ebay and so on that should also have a phono stage for your turntable. It also lacks any form of HDMI audio and multi-channel audio capability so wouldn't be a good match for Bluray. Just my 2p worth.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I will keep my eyes peeled for a some second hand gear and build up and learn from there, rather than buy new stuff when I'm not really sure whats what.

One question I cant find an answer for is what is the point of running component or S-video through an av amp to a TV if there is no upscaling. Wouldnt it be cheaper on cables to just run to the TV?

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
There isn't much point really, except perhaps that some TVs may not have said inputs. I'd say it's basically for the sake of convenience - you're right when you suggest that there'd be no PQ benefit with no upscaling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts