Onkyo TX-8050 problems...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just received Onkyo TX-8050 amp and it sounds quite good but I have couple of issues...

1. I can't stream FLAC's files from my computer. Streaming is based on WMP11 which dosen't support FLAC playback by default. I can play it in WMP (instaled plug in), but Onkyo amp can't play them... I found somewhere on different forums that people can play them.... :roll:

2. Main issue... Onkyo Remote control app for Android dosen't work on my HTC Desire. That was one of main reasons why I bought this receiver... Remote app can't find amp. I tried fixing IP, messing with firewall, ports, etc. but still dosen't work. Did anybody managed to get this app working properly?

Can You help me please...

matthewpiano

The remote app doesn't work on my HTC Legend either but I'm not that bothered to be honest. I was aware before buying that quite a few HTC users have had this issue and that the remote app is hit and miss at present. It is easy enough to use without and I keep Spotify simple by setting up playlists on my PC so that they are ready to go with the new albums I want to listen to when I go to the Onkyo. (I primarily use Spotify for listening to stuff to decide whether to buy the CD). I'm changing to an iPhone in March and will give the app another go then (I have other issues with Android and I'm finaly giving up and being an Apple sheep!). I think The Record Spot has been using the app but I'm not sure what phone he has. I'm sure he'll be along once he sees the title of this thread.

Haven't tried FLAC yet as I've been too busy enjoying Spotify, internet radio and my own CDs and LPs through the Onkyo but if I get chance I'll have a go on Sunday and report back.

EDIT: Actually I've just checked one of the files I've used to test both DLNA streaming and playing direct from a memory stick and it was indeed FLAC so (as it indicates on the Onkyo website) this file format should not be a problem. Have you checked the firmware is up-to-date on your amp?

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
The remote app doesn't work on my HTC Legend either but I'm not that bothered to be honest. I was aware before buying that quite a few HTC users have had this issue and that the remote app is hit and miss at present. I'm changing to an iPhone in March and will give it another go then (I have other issues with Android and I'm finaly giving up and being an Apple sheep!). I think The Record Spot has been using the app but I'm not sure what phone he has. I'm sure he'll be along once he sees the title of this thread.

Haven't tried FLAC yet as I've been too busy enjoying Spotify, internet radio and my own CDs and LPs through the Onkyo but if I get chance I'll have a go on Sunday and report back.

I'm aware that Iphone users have less problems with this app... I have OnkyTroller Pro Trial running at the moment, but looks and feel of this app reminds me Commodore 64... :grin: There wasn't any issues with connection... I recon that Onkyo need to get their act together and sort it out as lot of people complaining about it and looking for ways to sort it out.

FLAC work fine from front USB as well as streamming MP3 over network.

matthewpiano

The official Onkyo app seems to be very buggy/problematic at present, particularly on Android, but I'm sure it will get sorted out in the long run. Like I say, for me it will be a bonus if I get it working but I don't see it as an integral part of the product. I often wonder how much HTC Sense interferes with this sort of thing....

T

the record spot

Currently using the Onkyo app on an Apple iPod Touch - no issues and very reliable. Works a treat with Spotify too.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
The official Onkyo app seems to be very buggy/problematic at present, particularly on Android, but I'm sure it will get sorted out in the long run.

All problems will be probably sorted by adding option for IP and port in settings.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got the android app working perfectly on my LG android (2.2) phone. I have noticed the app does not like a weak wifi signal and as soon as I get close to the limit of my wifi network's range (old house with thick walls), the app starts freaking out, losing contact with the 8050 and hiding some functionality - it will occasionaly crash too. Stood in the doorway where I know the network is strong then no probs at all.

Have you tried standing next to your wifi transmitter?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I know that's not a solution, just troubleshooting. You can always work out how to extend your wifi network if that is the problem.

celsius

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
android app works ok on my motorola defy 2.1 but does loose some functions from more than 15 feet away(thick walls in house also) i find that there will always be some niggles with something new but don't let them spoil your enjoyment of such an amazing bit of kit

A

Anonymous

omnibeard said:
I've got the android app working perfectly on my LG android (2.2) phone. I have noticed the app does not like a weak wifi signal and as soon as I get close to the limit of my wifi network's range (old house with thick walls), the app starts freaking out, losing contact with the 8050 and hiding some functionality - it will occasionaly crash too. Stood in the doorway where I know the network is strong then no probs at all.

Have you tried standing next to your wifi transmitter?

I tried standing next to the router with no luck... I have good wifi reception and I can access to amp via network as I can connect with OnkyTroller Pro so network is not an issue... Which router are You using at the moment? I'm on Bt Hub 2.

crang

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi excuse me butting in but won't VLC remote app play FLAC through Onkyo? I don't have wireless dongle because Internet radio doesn't interest me. I can ply spotify premium and iTunes all from my iPhone via my laptop through dacmagic even get24/96 kps via vlink. Does android not support? As I have had no more than 15 mins to play with mine just tried all these and was very impressed as said in another thread will report back tomorrow plan to have at least 3 hours!.Listenig.cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts