Onkyo settings help please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondered if you want to upscale all your sd tv as Trevor79 (if you are on here tonight)does with the Onkyo 875 .

What settings do i want to go into for my Onkyo 706 .

At the moment its set to through for my blu-ray player .

But i wondered if i could get a better picture on sdtv .

I have a 3 year old 42 inch Hitachi Plasma -everything is connected to the Onkyo by hdmi.

My sky hd box is also scart into tv for recording (on av2) - but when i have recorded from Sky i have a great picture and no sound at all !?? - anyone know why - the scart leads are all in okay .

Could in be because i also have optical from dvd recorder into amp as well ??

Love all this technology -not sure if its all set up right though .

When playing blu-ray -amp says dts master audio which is correct - which should be better at upscaling - the blu-ray -dvd player as its got the reon chip - or the amp ?

Sorry for lots of questions .!

A

Anonymous

Evening Gib, just popped in quickly.

Need to know what the rest of your gear is to advise you on setting up.

Post them up and I will have a look at them later, as will I'm sure the rest of the guys.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have the 42inch plasma (1080i )42pd 7200 model from about 3 years ago -only 1 hdmi. ( hoping to get a new and bigger tv ,in a few months time -maybe lcd this time)

Then Samsung blu-ray player ( bd-p2500) , xbox 360, dvd recorder, and sky hd .

All are connected to hdmi inputs on amp and tv to output on amp .

Speakers are Tannoy efx 6.1

Thanks a lot.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Connecting things up is not my chosen subject, but I would have everything going through the Onkyo, then just 1 x HDMI to the TV. This will feed it with picture and sound for you TV speakers as well.

Scart Sky, HDMI DVD, Blue ray into amp.
Try setting Blue Ray and DVD on 720p and see if the Amp does a better job of up scaling to 1020p.

Not too sure on this but try Scart out to Scart in on the DVD player for it to record off Sky.
Adjust in the settings menu and allocate to each piece of equipment.

Don't have Sky myself, so perhaps others can help.

A

Anonymous

Hi Trevor -it is set up like that as its Sky hd thats also hdmi into amp.

Does that mean Onkyo will automatically upscale - i am sure its just set to through at the moment .

What part of menu do i go in to check please?

Its set up to just hdmi 1- bluray, hdmi 2 sky hd, hdmi 3 dvd recorder and hdmi xbox.

A

Anonymous

Full Sky HD will pass straight through as its already at 1020i, unless its possible to step it down to 720p in the Sky settings. Edit I have just read that Sky HD needs an optical cable conection as well to output 5:1 and it sends it our 1080i NOT 1080p!

Needs some guidence from some SKY HD customers here for optimum settings with the AV amp / TV.

It can be done @720p, EVERYTHING will be upscaled to 1020p by the Onkyo including SB! You need to check this on the Sky menu settings and not have it on auto. (and then I think you won't need the digital link).

You should have the sound playing through your AV speakers, but not the TV unless the Amp is switched on.

A

Anonymous

Hi Trevor- yes i have optical from Sky Hd into amp - ( everything else is hdmi only -( sorry i put optical with dvd recorder and it isnt -thats just connected hdmi ) sound is coming through all speakers - i just wanted to get the best picture i could .

The amp displayed dts master audio from bluray -but i had to have it up pretty high about 7/8 bars on screen ? it seemed a bit faint -otherwise !?

Also no idea why my sky films recorded onto a disc , but cannot get any sound from them - picture is fine - cables are all in properly and connected properly - could the extra optical cable thats in the amp from the sky box be causing the sound problem ??

A

Anonymous

Think you need to set the Sky box @ 720p out to the amp, You won't need the optical then. That's why you are not getting sound recorded onto DVDs.
As I have said the Onkyo will upscale everything up to 1080p before sending it out.

As for MA, go into the Amps menu and increase the DB setting on the Components-Blue ray player line. Also whilst you are in there go into the speaker settings and increase the Db's (try 4/5 clicks) across every speaker output. This will make the Pre Amp section send a stronger output signal which should improve on the detail/clarity of the music.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again Trevor - please could you just explain a bit simpler terms in the MA about the DB settings on the components - bluray player line please - i understand the speaker part.

On Sky then do i just change the setting to 720p instead of 1080i - and take out the optical lead ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, the usually reliable trev is wide of the mark here. Changing the Sky resolution to 720p isn't needed - I'd just leave the resolution on the Sky+HD box set to Automatic.

And if you pull the optical lead from Sky+HD to the receiver, you'll only get stereo sound via HDMI to the receiver, not DD5.1 when it's available on Sky broadcasts. Leave the optical cable in place.

A

Anonymous

Yes , i was told that before - any reason why i am not getting sound from my films i recorded , only a picture ?

Also i am just trying to get the best pics possible and making sure everything is set right - any advice there ?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gib1357:Yes , i was told that before - any reason why i am not getting sound from my films i recorded , only a picture ?

Assuming the DVD recorder is connected to the receiver via HDMI, and then via HDMI to the TV, I assume you're choosing the correct input on the receiver when watching recordings made onto the DVD recorder?

Or is the fact the DVD recorder also seems to be connected via Scart to the TV the cause? Perhaps the picture just appears on the TV, but you're not selecting the correct input on the receiver?

Things to check:

If the DVD-R is connected to the TV via Scart, are you getting sound from your recorded discs through the TV's speakers? If so, then the fault is in the audio output configuration of the DVD-R unit, or something to do with the input assignment on the Onkyo.

If not, then try playing a pre-recorded movie through the DVD-R machine.Do you now get sound through the TV speakers? If so, sound isn't getting from the Sky box to the recorder when you are copying.

I'd suspect you have the volume on the Sky+HD box turned right down, which will affect the Scart output to the DVD recorder but not the optical output feeding your receiver. If there's no sound from a standard movie disc in the DVD-R through the TV speakers, then there may be a fault with the DVD recorder, or the way it's configured.

If you do get sound through the TV speakers via the Scart, then you need to ensure the recorder is set to output all sound formats via HDMI, and that whichever input on the Onkyo you use for the DVD recorder - VCR/DVR I assume - has whichever HDMI input takes the feed from that receiver assigned to it.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Everything is connected to the amp hdmi and also the tv ( which only has 1 hdmi).

The blu-ray is connected hdmi- - is this better to do upscaling or the amp ( samsung bd-p2500) ?- if amp how do i set it to upscale ?

Yes, dvd recorder is connected scart to sky only , hdmi into amp.

sky has a scart into tv . and hdmi and optical into amp.

dvd recorder plays all pre-recorded discs fine - just the ones i taped have no sound but they have a good picture .

I get sound through tv speakers when watching normal tv and not through the amp - when amp is on -all sound comes through speakers.

Sorry for all questions , but still learning !

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, it's then a case of the Sky box not outputting sound on the second Scart - the record/copy one -, the DVD recorder not detecting the sound coming down the Scart from the Sky box, or possibly just a simple thing like the Scart having a loose internal connection or being of a type not wired for sound. There were/are some RGB Scart cables not designed to carry sound, but only picture.

If your Blu-ray player is set to output 1080p, then the through setting on the Onkyo is fine. There doesn't seem to be much point in downscaling Blu-ray in the player to then upscale it again in the amp - by setting 1080p output on the amp, so best to leave the player set to 1080p, which also means it will upscale DVDs to that, and pass it through the receiver that way.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Andrew for helping out, as I do not have Sky myself I do not have the background knowledge on its HD settings.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Welcome - but I'm not sure I'm any closer to working out what the problem is!
emotion-18.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that - will see if i have another scart lead to try .

A

Anonymous

Well, i have tried every setting and still cannot get any sound from the recorded films -the picture is great -but no sound at all -the only thing left to try is the leads and unfortunately haven''t got any spare scart leads .

I have reset the speakers and the sound is better -thanks.

The bluray will only scale to 1080i as the tv is only HD Ready and not full HD .- That will be my next purchase later on.

Blu-ray and sky are both set to 1080i.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
When you play the discs you've recorded on the DVD-R on the Blu-ray player, is there sound on them?

At least this way we can ascertain whether the problem is between the Sky+HD box and the recorder, and I suspect either a setting problem (such as the DVD-R isn't set to take audio from the Scart input) or as I said a problem in the scart cable.

Just a thought: try connecting the Scart cable currently feeding from the Sky+HD box to the DVD-R directly to your TV, play a recording on the Sky+HD box as if you were copying it to DVD, and see whether there is both sound and vision on the TV. If so, the Sky box and cable are fine, and the problem is in the DVD-R's recording settings.

Sorting this kind of problem is all about gradually removing possible causes, until you're left with only one solution.

A

Anonymous

I have just tried them on the pc and blu-ray player - but got nothing at all -then remembered they are Ram discs i recorded onto -so will only play in my panasonic ex75 recorder !

A

Anonymous

I managed to find another scart lead -still no joy .

I have taken leads out , altered leads, connected just to tv -been into menus -dvd rec. is saying its recorded in 2.1 -but still no sound !

Think i will have to give up as no idea now what else to try .

By the way -the problem is copying from the hard drive onto the disc- the films recorded onto the hard drive with picture and sound okay -the films lost the sound going from the hard drive to disc -is that any help as forgot to mention that !!!

Anyone in Lincoln area fancy coming round and having a look !?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gib1357:By the way -the problem is copying from the hard drive onto the disc- the films recorded onto the hard drive with picture and sound okay -the films lost the sound going from the hard drive to disc -is that any help as forgot to mention that !!!

Oh, thanks for saving that little gem until we've tried everything else.
emotion-12.gif
emotion-40.gif
emotion-4.gif

It's a fault/problem in the recorder. Simple as that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts