Onkyo NR905 in BTL mode

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Possibly a silly question but bear with me.

My system out here in the Middle East is based around an Onkyo NR905 AVR driving a Jamo C809 HT package. Not what I would have bought in the UK but here without resorting to internet shopping given whats available here it gives a reasonably satisfying experience with both music and movies. Recently though since getting a Spotify Premium account I've been listening to music more and more. Compressed from Spotify, Napster and Internet radio uncompressed FLAC via Apple Airport Express digital out into one of the optical inputs on the AVR.

I'm already looking for a standalone DAC possibly (when it becomes available) the new ARCAM, incidently does anyone know if it will have a headphone socket?.

I will probably in the longer term go with either a seperate 2/3 channel power amp or a mid range stereo integrated but for now being an inveterate tinkerer (sorry comes from the old vinyl days) I have a yen to try using the Onkyo in BTL mode.

Currently run the Jamo 809 fronts bi-amped, I realise if i were to go to BTL I'd be limited to 2 channel plus sub but I'm happy to accept that. Problem is that the 809's are nominally 6 ohms impedance which according to the Onkyo manual may cause damage to the amp.

Now from my school boy physics (and that was a very long time ago) quoted impedance without stating a frequency doesn't mean much so I presume that the 6 ohms is an average across the audio frequencies.

Don't think I'm likely to have a problem with the speakers as they're quoted short term power handling is 400 watts so providing I don't crank the volume up to the proverbial 11 am I likely to damage to the amp?

A

Anonymous

Many thanks Andrew I'll give it a go at the weekend.

A

Anonymous

Well it works and certainly my initial impression is favourable with an increase in bass weight in particular. I'll live with it for a couple of days and decide if the improved performance in "stereo" is worth the minor aggravation of swopping cables for HC use. So thanks again Andrew.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts