onkyo nr5008 vs pioneer sc_lx83?

markyboy156

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
smiley-cool.gif
hi could anybody please tell me in there opinions witch is the better amp onkyo nr5008 vs pioneer lx83 witch is best for movies and music need help asap please
smiley-wink.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm certainly no expert but I can imagine the more experienced users on here who could help you would want to know what speakers the amp would be running.Another possible question would be what percentage for each you listen to i.e. 60% movies - 40% music. The more information you can give the experts on here the more they can help you and give you good advice. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Tartan Man

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Markyboy,

I have an Onkyo 905 which was Onkyo's top of the range a couple of years ago. I use the 905 to power my B&W 685 Theatre its sounds amazing with movies. If music is your biggest priority then you should look at Arcam Receivers but they have some issues compared to otherreceivers. Alternatively buy a stereo amp for music and use the Receiver for movies. You do not mention which speakers you are cosidering, as you will want the speakers to work with the Receiver. I would buy the Onkyo 5008 just read the review!!

Best wishes

Chris

markyboy156 said:
smiley-cool.gif
hi could anybody please tell me in there opinions witch is the better amp onkyo nr5008 vs pioneer lx83 witch is best for movies and music need help asap please
smiley-wink.gif

Hi markyboy156

What AV amp are you currently using?

Did you listen to the Silver RX6 AV12's before you bought them? If so, what amplifier was used?

The crossover point for the sub is set to?

Your source component/s and display are?

Music - what do you and ayone else who is also likely to use the system generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Is the room lightly of heavily furnished?

Room floor (wooden, concrete, carpeted etc.)?

Your general listening level?

Speaker cables?

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Either of these receivers will be ideal for your RX6 package, it'll just be down to what you prefer sound-wise. As a loose rule, I'd say that a smaller room will play into the hands of the Pioneer, and a larger one to the Onkyo, tonally speaking, but both will be fine in rooms of 5/6m square. Both have excellent room EQ, so not a vast amount to choose from there.

As both will be good with movies, I'd compare them on 2 channel performance. See if you can get a demo of both set up with just the RX6's, and give them a good testing with music, and see which one floats your boat.

The Pioneer comes with an RF compatible remote - this could be a major thing for some if the receiver needs to be hidden away.

markyboy156

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
hi i dont have the rx6 speaker package i have the older rs6 speaker package will this make any difference in what would be the better amp to buy thanks can you reply asap please

markyboy156 said:
hi i dont have the rx6 speaker package i have the older rs6 speaker package will this make any difference in what would be the better amp to buy thanks can you reply asap please

Hi markyboy156

Firstly i am sorry for mixing up your Silver RS6 AV12 with the Silver RX6 AV12 speakers :(

I feel matching an AV amp to the Silver RS6 AV12 is even more important then it is with the Silver RX6 AV12. The AV amplifiers which i feel will be a suitable tonal match for your speakers are the TX-NR5008, Yamaha RX-V3067, Denon AVR-4311 or the AVR-A100.

Fwiw, my overall choice would be the RX-V3067.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
markyboy156 said:

Same applies anyway. The RS6 might be a little brighter sounding than the RX6's, but the X Curve feature on the Pioneer will take care of any brightness the MCACC auto set-up doesn't.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
David whats your opinion of the build quality of the Onkyo. I have heard its not built as well as the pioneer, which uses quality parts as opposed to cheaper parts in the Onkyo?

But yes as to the poster i would go with the LX83, but of course im very biased :)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
In the vast majority of cases the Onkyo is going to be the better performer. Room size is the only real variable that I would be considering ( presuming price isn't considered ). In a very small room the extra authority of the Onkyo may not be obvious over the Pioneer and that would make it a close call. In a medium sized room and above the Onkyo when correctly set up will offer you a great deal more than the Pioneer.

Of course the real product to buy at this price is the Anthem MRX700 but that is another story....

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
In the vast majority of cases the Onkyo is going to be the better performer. Room size is the only real variable that I would be considering ( presuming price isn't considered ). In a very small room the extra authority of the Onkyo may not be obvious over the Pioneer and that would make it a close call. In a medium sized room and above the Onkyo when correctly set up will offer you a great deal more than the Pioneer.

Of course the real product to buy at this price is the Anthem MRX700 but that is another story....

Why stop there lets get some Revel Speakers too ;)

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
The Home Cinema Centre

why not elaberate on the Anthem MRX700 as it may help him or other, that are thinking about it.

Thanks

P.S. Hi Dan,
smiley-smile.gif

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
duaplex said:

You have lost me there.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Boca said:
The Home Cinema Centre

why not elaberate on the Anthem MRX700 as it may help him or other, that are thinking about it.

Thanks

P.S. Hi Dan,
smiley-smile.gif

I will say Hi to Dan for you.

There is not much too elaborate on with the MRX700 - I feel it is the strongest contender at this price point right now. It is short on features compared to the OP's selections but makes up for it with sound quality. The Pioneer room EQ is very strong and does a good job but the Anthem EQ transforms the sound. Even without the EQ applied the core sound is weighty and controlled with no aggression. Set up the room correction and the sound just works, producing an engaging sound that doesnt fatigue - something I always look for.

I love Onkyo and the LX83 ( it remains a top seller for us as it produces a great synergy with several of the speakers we support) but the MRX700 is a little slice of the D2V Processor and that makes it very special IMO.

Nick

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
duaplex said:

You have lost me there.

Revel Ultima Salon 2 a very expensive and very good flooor standing speaker, it will set you back 17k or so.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Boca said:
The Home Cinema Centre

Thanks

P.S. Hi Dan,
smiley-smile.gif

I will say Hi to Dan for you.

There is not much too elaborate on with the MRX700 - I feel it is the strongest contender at this price point right now. It is short on features compared to the OP's selections but makes up for it with sound quality. The Pioneer room EQ is very strong and does a good job but the Anthem EQ transforms the sound. Even without the EQ applied the core sound is weighty and controlled with no aggression. Set up the room correction and the sound just works, producing an engaging sound that doesnt fatigue - something I always look for.

I love Onkyo and the LX83 ( it remains a top seller for us as it produces a great synergy with several of the speakers we support) but the MRX700 is a little slice of the D2V Processor and that makes it very special IMO.

Nick

That is a great piece of info. I never did try the MRX700 when buying my Pioneer. The dealers just didnt stock them sadly. But wish i had now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts