Onkyo - Auto Calibration - What to look out for?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Will be setting up by Onkyo 806 via the Auto Calibration and Mic.

Having read some of the threads on here, it seems there are certain things I should look out for that might be set wrong by the Onkyo after it has finished the Calibration.

Something to do with "Full Band", power ratings, db, etc?

Could anyone list options, features, etc that I should check on the Onkyo once it has finished the Calibration, just in case it gets something wrong?

Thanks,

James

A

Anonymous

When I first bought my 875 I tried it but wasn't too impressed with it. Mind you my roon is not a straight forward shape.

I went through all the settings manually and ended up with a much better sound stage. Don't think you can beat your ears for getting the best out of your music settings.

It is well worth while reading through the manual and developing your understanding on all the various adjustments open to you.

You will have to provide some detail on your system before one can say what your Ohm setting, THX, Full Band, sub setting etc should be set to.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
It'll set the sub low. You'll have to go in and correct it.

Also, it may take some time, but you may want to run it 2 or 3 times. First time I ran it, it had everything set to 80hz (I think the rears may have been set to 100hz)

Second time, it went a bit nuts, set left to 80hz, centre to 150hx, right to 120hz, and I can't remember what it set the surrounds to! I had to run it again.

After a bit of input by others on here, i stuck at 100hz all round, and I think it sounds great.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Sorry. When I said it'll set the sub low, I meant the level, not the crossover.

The Onkyo manual actually tells you that it may not pick up the sub adequately. I think mine was at -7db after the auto set-up. I stuck it at 0db and am very happy with it at that level.

When you run the auto set-up, as you have floor standing speakers, I'd expect it to set the fronts to around 40/50hz, it may well set them as 'full range', the centre and the rears being smaller will be higher. Sub can be either used to pick up where the fronts roll off (i.e the theoretical 40/50hz I mentioned earlier), or you could have it overlapping slightly, say 80hz. It's a case of running the set-up and seeing if you're happy. If you want more or less bass, adjust the sub channel, or filter the fronts off higher up/lower down.

There's a mode that's called 'double bass'. This sends bass from the front stereo pair to the sub, along with the sub's .1 channel. You might want to have a play with it. This is NOT included in auto set-up.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
only thing i would add is it takes a long time to calculate everything - i thought mine had crashed as expected it to be nearly instant - it took prob nearly 10 mins with just the word calculating on screen - just be patient.

i was also surprised how low it set some things - my fronts were all even not like mentioned abouve - my rears differ slightly although i do sit slightly closer to one of them so that kind of evened itself out but my sub was set to -5.5db so i manually turned it up a little - personally i thought this was a good starting points but have made little adjustments to roll off as discribed above but very happy with the sound now.

A

Anonymous

Suggest you set the impedance to 8 Ohms

Set all the speakers to the THX setting (could try later setting Fronts to full range) See how it compares for speed / bass timing against the Sub on music.

Double bass to the sub (switches bass off the fronts to sub on THX setting)

Then run sound level menu on all speakers, or try Auto cab 1st and see how it sounds.

Then go back into the menu and check that it is using 0db as its reference and NOT setting things lower. If it is just pull all the settings up to using 0db as the average (+ and -)

Should be about 85% there now, sit down listen to various stuff and fine tune accordingly

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hijack, but this is all good info as I'm expecting my 875 to arrive tomorrow
emotion-2.gif
(how many threads will I say that in tonight I wonder).

One question I have, having started reading the manual already (downloaded fromOnkyo's website!), is what do I set the levels and crossover frequency of my sub to before commencing setup on the 875? With my current Yamaha DSP-E800 I have just left the sub settings at factory default, and set levels and crossover on the sub itself.

Thanks in advance.ÿ

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The Onkyo should bypass your subs controls, so when you run the auto set-up, it'll decide the frequency it'll roll off the bass at. Probably around 80hz, and start it off at 0db. If it's too much or to little adjust accordingly.

What speaker/sub are you using?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:The Onkyo should bypass your subs controls, so
when you run the auto set-up, it'll decide the frequency it'll roll off
the bass at. Probably around 80hz, and start it off at 0db. If it's too
much or to little adjust accordingly.What speaker/sub are you
using?

Cheers for the quick reply... Speaker setup is Ruark Icons L&R, Ruark Epilogue centre, Mordaunt Short MS302's at the rear, and REL Strata5 for the sub

A

Anonymous

i found my one sounded best if you audessey it, then check to see that the distance are spot on ish and then use a sound metre to get the levels spot on. I know it sounds a bit odd but i found it best as I wasnt that impressed by the audessy set up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts