Onkyo A-9010 phono input

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Interested in getting one of these, but I notice that the phono input has a huge input capacitance of 1000pF, whereas you would normally expect something in the range 100-200pF. Has anyone tried the phono input on this amp, and was there any undue treble emphasis due to the high input capacitance ?

insider9

I have and I've not noticed any issues. On fact I believe the amp including the phono stage to be a bargain if you intend to buy new.

I've heard it with number of budget decks and carts and some might have sounded a little bright than others but that was very cart dependent. And will definitely be more speaker dependent.

What speakers are you planning on pairing with Onkyo and what turntable with that cartridge are you looking to have as a source?

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
What speakers are you planning on pairing with Onkyo and what turntable with that cartridge are you looking to have as a source?

Speakers will be home built, using Scanspeak Discovery units in a mass loaded transmission line (MLTL) cabinet. The turntable is a Technics SL1210 Mk2 and the cartridge Audio Technica AT95E.

insider9

AT95E sounded best for the money with Onkyo. Preferred it to many Ortofons if I'm being honest. At circa £30 there's nothing touching it. With speakers built yourself I'm sure you'll have a great sounding system.

I would though suggest going active straight away if you can stretch the budget. Saves a lot of hassle designing crossover, you can even correct for room and better align drivers. You would need external phono stage and an extra amp to do it. Not to mention digital crossover. I use Minidsp which does a great job.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
AT95E sounded best for the money with Onkyo. Preferred it to many Ortofons if I'm being honest. At circa £30 there's nothing touching it. With speakers built yourself I'm sure you'll have a great sounding system.

I would though suggest going active straight away if you can stretch the budget. Saves a lot of hassle designing crossover, you can even correct for room and better align drivers. You would need external phono stage and an extra amp to do it. Not to mention digital crossover. I use Minidsp which does a great job.

I will be using them passive initially, although I may well activate them eventually. Looking at the A-9010 schematic, it should be very easy to tap into the preamp output and connect to the tape out sockets. The A-9010 would then just be a preamp.

TRENDING THREADS