Onkyo 609 network access problem

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had a problem where their Onkyo TX-NR609 will not connect to a network?

Mine keeps freezing at the NOW INITIALISING stage.

Using Cat6E ethernet cables, I have connected my Orange router via a Netgear ethernet swith, to my computer, Sony BDP-S480 and the receiver. The computer and Sony BDP work fine.

Onkyo Europe told me to update to the latest firmware (I only bought the receiver in February!) and reset to factory settings, which I did but it still does not work.

So Onkyo have said to contact their service point in the UK which I have this evening by email (and copied in my retailer). I will also speak to my retailer tomorrow (7oaks) to see what they advise.

In the meantime, has anyone had the same problem and fixed it without the need to send it off for a service check?

I'm a bit fed up - as I spent all last weekend running the cables into ceilings, through floor joists, under floor boards and through a cavity wall, and having to crawl into a roof space - I'm covered in bruises!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
My retailer Sevenoaks agreed to test it at their store last wednesday. They thought they had fixed it after updating the firmware (again) and resetting to factory settings. They said they had it working and recognising their network, internet radio and USB sticks. They were very good, and offered to deliver it back to my home. When they arrived, I immediately tried it (with the Sevenoaks guy watching) and it didn't work. Not only does the NET function freeze, but the USB function freezes too. So, I got a thorough 'home test', and it was plain to see that there was nothing in my cabling/network setup that should affect the receivers performance. As part of the test we used two different USB sticks that we knew worked with a shop model.

When I re-connected the receiver, the connections were the power, speaker cables, two HDMI (Pana TV & Sony BDP), UHF arial, and a Cat6E ethernet cable connected to a Netgear switch. I know the switch works, I know each of the ethernet cables works, and tried connecting the receiver directly to my router.

So Sevenoaks re-boxed it and took it away, they will organise it's collection by Genserve (Onkyo's UK service point) who have a 7 -10 day turnaround.

I have seen this morning the article about certain Onkyo products being recalled, but I have checked and my model/serial number is not one of them.

I'll post again when I get the receiver back.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Genserve, the 'Onkyo UK service point' returned the receiver back to 7oaks on thursday and I picked it up yesterday. At least I can now get the USB to recognise my i-pod and some memory sticks, but as soon as I connect it to the internet, it simply does not like it. Genserve have replaced the HDMI board, re-installed the latest firmware and 'bench tested' it. The box it was in (original box and packaging) is dirty, bashed and the polystyrene packaging is broken/missing and taped - obviously done on route to Genserve, as it was taped up and wrapped before it was returned to me. The receiver is covered in fingerprints and the display screen has very fine scratches on it.

So I am not best pleased!

If I connect the ethernet cable to the reciever before switching it on, I get the same problem as before and the USB does not work. However, if I unplug the ethernet cable, then switch it on, I can get the USB working, but whilst then playing music via the USB, if I re-connect the ethernet cable - after a few seconds the music stops, and the USB screen switches to the NET mode and I'm back to my original problem - all frozen.

I've spoken to 7oaks, and like me they cannot think of any reason why my network should cause this problem, so I am assuming I still have a faulty unit.

I have tried all manner of connection variations, and used CAT 5 cable instead of CAT6? I've also poured over my Orange Router settings but cannot see anything that is an obvious problem - but I will try to alter a few settings (one at a time) to see if that makes any difference.

I have arranged to borrow 7oaks 609 shop model to try at home next week, to see if that has the same problem.

If the shop model does not work either, I am in need of a computer network expert!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have an Onkyo receiver (specifically a new 609) that is connected to the internet via an Orange Gigaset SE572 Wireless Router?

Surely there must be 1000's of these out there supplied by Orange, and like me most people will never ever consider altering the settings (which you must do online with a password).

I'm stuck now until Wednesday, so if anyone has the combination working please let me know, as it will add to my view that it is the Onkyo at fault.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
7oaks shop model also did not work, so it looks like my router. They sent me to a local computer shop who they deal with, who also reckon that it is the router which they said is 'not the best'. It is a model with firmware from 2009 which you cannot update.

So I rang Orange, and was very assertive - initially they tried to fob me off but I am pleased to say that they have agreed to send me a new router (3-5 days to get to me).

Hopefully, fingers crossed etc!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
New Orange 'brightbox' router arrived and set-up. Onkyo 609 worked straight away!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! Just a shame I had to box up my unit and send it off, despite all the detailed information I provided to Genserve and Onkyo.

Never mind, I'm happy I can now use the vtuner to get internet radio
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have access problems with BT?

I have connected the dongle and the set shows 70% connection which should be adequate, but I cannot see it on my network. I bought a WD media streaming box and it connected immediately.

Can anyone advise me?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts