Onkyo 608 or Denon 2310 (b grade)

bigrich55

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
First set up ...

Over a year ago I dreamed of a denon 2310 but couldn't afford it ... so I waited for the new receiver supertest and was swayed by the Onkyo 608 ... planning to buy about now. But I have got same price on table for both at £400 (albeit b grade for the Denon). Now I am in a dilema ... and would like your views.

Not interested in 3D (feels too early in life cycle and TV not 3D anyway), but I am interested in using the set up for music (CD and ipod) ... my main aim is to improve sound and not so much picture. So I guess I will need an ipod dock too with both options

If it helps you suggest a way forward ... I have a Samsung 8000 series LED TV ( UE46B8000XW) and Sony BDP S760 blu ray player and V+ HD box and 4th generation ipod .... planning on getting 5.1 speakers after decision on the receiver.

Any views would be more than welcome

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
bigrich55,

As always, you will hear arguments for and against for both amps. I have owned both the 1910 and the 2310 and did not think that that the 2310 was particularly good - my Onkyo TX-SR875 will run circles around it. Infact, I actually preferred the Sony STR-DA2400ES over it - astonishingly!

I have also listened to the Onkyo TX-SR608 alongside the Pioneer VSX-920 and Yamaha RXV-667, and I liked the Onkyo best in this company.

Would I buy the 608 though? No - simply because in the process of becoming a little more refined than the 607, it has lost some of it's trademark 'onkyo qualities' - attack and dynamics.

What it boils down to is this - we all have our individual listening tastes and your interests are best served with an audition of both amps with your kit and decide which sounds better to your ears.

Ronald

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Yes I agree with Ronald - we all have different tastes as to what sounds good. Ya see, like Ronald, I also owned a Denon 2310 too, but I liked it so much I've just bought the more powerful version of the same thing (a 4310 - thank you Dave at Hi-fix!), whereas the "old" Onkyo qualities are just a bit too "in yer face" for my liking. So as Ronald suggests, it really is horses for courses, and you really do need to test them all and see what grabs you most.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts