Onkyo 605 - Please help me set it up!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi This is my first visit here. Sorry if the answer to my question has been given elsewhere, but I’m tearing my hair out and need a little rational help!
emotion-7.gif

I have a new Onkyo 605, which I’ve linked up to my PS3 and Sky HD box with HDMI cables. The Onkyo itself connects to my telly with HDMI.

In essence, I think the connections are all as they need to be, but it’s the configuration of the 605 and PS3 which is confusing the hell out of me. In my perfect world, I thought I’d be able to stick a BluRay movie into the PS3, set it playing and the 605 would automatically recognise that it’s DTS / DD or whatever, and it would switch to the appropriate setting (and show the nice little red logo!
emotion-1.gif
).

However, because of the bewildering array of options on both the PS3 and the 605, up until last night, I was only able to get sound from the front three speakers, unless I pressed the surround button on the remote, which switched it over on to DTS Cinema, or something like that, which I guess is a ‘fake’ surround setting. I say ‘until last night’, as I stumbled across an audio out menu on the PS3 which was set to auto, but when I chose the manual option, within the HDMI output I found that only a couple in a long list of audio outputs were ticked. I decided to tick them all and now the amp plays in glorious surround sound, but shows something like ‘MultiCH 5.1’ on the LCD display, with no red logos. I’ve read elsewhere about bitstream settings on the PS3, but I’ve not checked that out yet – I’m guessing mine’s not currently set to bitstream.

Any tips about what I should enter in the ‘Listening Mode Preset’ menu?

Also, I don’t seem to be getting DD output from SkyHD, but I’ve read something about that being due to the crappy way that Sky has implemented their HDMI connection, so I’ll pick up an optical cable on the way home and use that for the audio connection.

Apologies if this is a very rambly first post, but I really am tearing my hair out and every day that goes by without me getting things set up correctly gives my wife more ammunition to throw at me, claiming that the investment has been a total waste of money!! I’m sure you know where I’m coming from guys!
emotion-18.gif

All the best

Doug Grant

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, correct on the Sky HD front - you need the optical link to get Dolby Digital.

At the moment the PS3 outputs audio from all Blu-ray discs as Linear PCM, which is just what you're getting.

The audio detection on the Onlyo should be set to auto, and will then detect what's being output, which is just what it's doing.

At some point we're expecting a firmware upgrade on the PS3 to allow it to output HD audio in native form, so the likes of the 605 can decode it, but for now Linear PCM sounds just as good. And it's worth noting that some discs may also tell the player not to output these HD audio tracks in native form, but decode them onboard and output LPCM.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Yes, correct on the Sky HD front - you need the optical link to get Dolby Digital.

At the moment the PS3 outputs audio from all Blu-ray discs as Linear PCM, which is just what you're getting.

The audio detection on the Onlyo should be set to auto, and will then detect what's being output, which is just what it's doing.

At some point we're expecting a firmware upgrade on the PS3 to allow it to output HD audio in native form, so the likes of the 605 can decode it, but for now Linear PCM sounds just as good. And it's worth noting that some discs may also tell the player not to output these HD audio tracks in native form, but decode them onboard and output LPCM.

[/quote]

Thanks Andrew

Are you basically telling me that it's actually working correctly at the moment and there's no need for me to fiddle with bitstream etc? You mention setting the Onkyo to auto - is that something I need to do? If so, where?

Regards

Doug

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="hairlessheart"]
Thanks Andrew

Are you basically telling me that it's actually working correctly at the moment and there's no need for me to fiddle with bitstream etc? You mention setting the Onkyo to auto - is that something I need to do? If so, where?
[/quote]

It should be the default input setting on all inputs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts