Onkyo 605 or 875?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm after some newbie advice and would appreciate some help - sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything relevant when searching

I'm planning my new system, based on either a Samsung LE46F86 or Sony 46W3000. I've got Sky HD, an Xbox360 Elite and am planning on adding a BR player. Speakers are either going to be Tannoy Mercury F1 or KEF3005

I'm torn between the Onkyo 605 and 875. The 605 looks astounding for the price, but I'm concerned that it only has 2 HDMI inputs, where I would need 3. Obviously the 875 would be better equipped with its 4 HDMI inputs, but is the increase in price really justifiable? I know I could just connect SkyHD via component HD instead, but are there any drawbacks by doing it this way?

Thanks

Andy

nads

do you need the upscaler in the 875? what about the 705 or the 805? if you have a full HD screen then the 875 could be a good choice as it will upscale anything that you give it.

A

Anonymous

The screen will be full HD, and I suppose as I'll be running SkyHD and BR which will also both be at full HD, the upscaler won't be necessary really?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andyd2"]
Hi all,

I'm after some newbie advice and would appreciate some help - sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything relevant when searching

I'm planning my new system, based on either a Samsung LE46F86 or Sony 46W3000. I've got Sky HD, an Xbox360 Elite and am planning on adding a BR player. Speakers are either going to be Tannoy Mercury F1 or KEF3005

I'm torn between the Onkyo 605 and 875. The 605 looks astounding for the price, but I'm concerned that it only has 2 HDMI inputs, where I would need 3. Obviously the 875 would be better equipped with its 4 HDMI inputs, but is the increase in price really justifiable? I know I could just connect SkyHD via component HD instead, but are there any drawbacks by doing it this way?

Thanks

Andy
[/quote]

I was torn between the F86 and W3000 and chose the F86. Glad I did too, it's a great set. I've just watched Serenity on HD-DVD and it was fantastic.

I was going to get the Onkyo 605 but spent the extra on the 705 to get an additional HDMI and a few extra watts. You also get the option of THX and matrix to 7.1 speakers that you don't have with the 605 should you ever go 7.1. The amp will last me for years, so the extra £200 was good value in my opinion. I did consider the 875, but the upscaling wasn't worth it.

If you are looking at Blu-ray, then consider the new Panny BD30, it'll be a great match for the Onkyo and when UK stock is available in April(?) I'll be getting one.

Don't worry about up-scaling. Leave that to the devices you plug into your telly.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andyd2"]
The screen will be full HD, and I suppose as I'll be running SkyHD and BR which will also both be at full HD, the upscaler won't be necessary really?

[/quote]

Don't forget, that even though you have SKY HD, most of your likely viewing will likely be in SD................ and the upscaling facility of the 875 does (IMO) make a significant difference to that.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd second that - I use a fantastic Full HD projector with a very good scaler, but the Onkyo's upscaling betters it: it's made a big difference to Sky HD for me (albeit on an 80in screen, not a 46...)

A

Anonymous

Sounds good to me then, 875 it is!

A quick wiring question - i'll be using HDMI from Xbox, Sky HD and BR player to the Onkyo, then a single HDMI to the screen. I'll use a digital optical cable from SkyHD to the receiver, will I also need another Optical Digital from the screen back to the receiver?

I can't see what benefit it would have as all my viewing will be done from the external sources, so in theory I won't need to send any audio from the screen back to the receiver?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andyd2"]
Sounds good to me then, 875 it is!

A quick wiring question - i'll be using HDMI from Xbox, Sky HD and BR player to the Onkyo, then a single HDMI to the screen. I'll use a digital optical cable from SkyHD to the receiver, will I also need another Optical Digital from the screen back to the receiver?

I can't see what benefit it would have as all my viewing will be done from the external sources, so in theory I won't need to send any audio from the screen back to the receiver?
[/quote]

The 875 is good, but I'm not too sure about the cost benefit of up-scaling your Sky on a 46" through an 875. I would get the TV, plug in the SkyHD box and THEN decide if the much higher cost of the 875 is worth it.

The up-scaling on my F86 is perfectly acceptable (surprisingly good actually) and I certainly would not get the 875 to make it "better". I suspect that the SkyHD box is just fine, indeed some Sky channels are a low bit-rate anyway! However, it's your money :)

Your Sky box doesn't also need an optical cable in addition to HDMI, does it? Not had SkyHD.

No, you don't need to plug the TV sound into your amp, although you might want to watch the integrated Freeview tuner at some point?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Eddiewood"]Your Sky box doesn't also need an optical cable in addition to HDMI, does it? Not had SkyHD.

No, you don't need to plug the TV sound into your amp, although you might want to watch the integrated Freeview tuner at some point?[/quote]

I believe that the optical cable is needed for 5.1, as the SkyHD box doesn't output surround audio via HDMI. And no need to watch the freeview tuner really as all my TV watching will be done via Sky!

A

Anonymous

Well you learn something new every day! I wonder if that will change as the newer Pace/Samsung boxes get produced. Thompson is really pants!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts